Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why was Obama so pro H1B Visa right to the end? [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does "a rising tide lifts all boats" ring a bell?

Again, you haven't shown that American tech workers are a disadvantaged class. There is certainly a great deal of evidence that the US economy has benefited hugely by attracting talent to this country, which has created an enormous number of jobs in this country, especially in the Bay Area, which has created even more demand for tech graduates, which has propelled the economy forward.

Quote:
Maybe you're not American? In which case I get why you wouldn't care.

Exactly what I was thinking ;).
Last edited by: oldandslow: Apr 21, 17 17:20
Quote Reply
Re: Why was Obama so pro H1B Visa right to the end? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Back to the original post........If Obama's true intentions were to help the disadvantaged, I'm still not clear why he not only wouldn't consider this but publicly fought against it.

Fought against what? A free market? A growing economy? By and large, American engineers/scientists aren't considered a disadvantaged class. To the extent that a group can plausibly claim to be unfairly victimized, their position may get traction, but still it must be weighed against other goals and principles. No one that I know of is opting out of technical fields because of H-1B visas.

I think these are very global statements we all should be able to agree are true:

1.) To the extent H-1B visas expand market freedoms and opportunities they are "production maximizing" for the group as a whole (Americans and Foreigners taken together)
2.) To the extent H-1B visas add supply and therefore lower price to the "all-sorts-of-technical-help" labor pool those visas help American business owners at the expense of American labor.
3.) To the extent H-1B visas add value to foreign technical labor and decrease value to domestic technical labor those visas INCREASE foreign technical education choices and DECREASE domestic technical labor choices.

4.) This equation can't be viewed only as Americans supply jobs and H1-B visa owners filling them. No, H1-B visa owners are every bit as much creating these same jobs by being able to do the jobs for the price they do them for. This balanced "creator" viewpoint needs to be applied to any general "job" related analysis IMO.
Quote Reply

Prev Next