Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you fly with your stand-up air pump?
Quote | Reply
Do you pack your air pump when you fly and if so how? In your bike box or do you have luggage big enough? Or do you just borrow one once you arrive?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you fly with your stand-up air pump? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my bike bag/box.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goes in the bike box. No issues fitting it in.

It would be a PIA to not have one when you put your bike back together.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Do you fly with your stand-up air pump? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who do you use to ship?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Lezyne Travel Drive to take when traveling by air. Has a lay flat design and only 19" tall so easily fits in carry on. Also easily fits in tri bag as well on race day. High capacity....easy to read gauge in the dark...works well. Highly recommend having your own pump and not relying on others to borrow or waiting in potential long lines at bike tech. .
Last edited by: gphin305: Apr 18, 17 14:31
Quote Reply
Re: Do you fly with your stand-up air pump? [BJGoCougs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BJGoCougs wrote:
Who do you use to ship?

Stringcheese Air :-)

I pack my own bike and it flies with me on whatever airline we use.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes. Often it puts my box over the weight limit. I make sure if I do bring it, that I know there will not be easy access to a pump. In Tucson last year, we had a training camp we ran & ended up buying one at Tri Sports on the cheap, it was really light, saved us going over the weight limits on the bike box. If it is a big race, usually not. There will be plenty of people around in hotels with pumps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Specialized Air ComPak for travel. It works well.

https://www.specialized.com/...ak-floor-pump/117272
Quote Reply
Re: Do you fly with your stand-up air pump? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How's the inline gauge? Is it easy to read?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scicon hard box, (Evolution?), and I just cover the pump body with foam tube and velcro strap that to the bike frame so it doesn't move.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've stuffed a floor pump in my bike bag before but stopped doing that recently. It's got a heavy metal base and having that against a nice set of wheels and frame scares me a bit more now. So for my last race (Oceanside's 70.3!), I shipped a small box ahead to the hotel w/ CO2 cartridges and some food for the room so that I could pack lighter. I really liked doing that because it provided me the CO2 that I needed in my repair bag and then I just used one to top-off the wheels after putting it back together. Will likely do this again as the bag is heavy enough already as it is!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always and it goes inside of the bike case and fastened down so that it doesn't scrape the bike.

I am always popular on race day...sure...you're next AFTER I'm done ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Do you fly with your stand-up air pump? [sammie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sammie wrote:
How's the inline gauge? Is it easy to read?

It's fine then again I'm not terribly picky about pressure. If your someone that freaks out between the difference between 89 and 91 psi, you'll be frustrated. If you're someone that can live with 90psi +or- a few, you'll be happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Zefal travel pump http://www.zefal.com/...4-profil-travel.html

small enough to fit in a pack or hold luggage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can fly with a pump... my current floor pump goes in my bike case. A couple of times I had to pull it to make weight on my bike box.

You can carry a full size pump with you on the plane. Makes zero sense if you can't carry a ratchet over 7" long... but you can.

That said I'm going to buy the Lezyne Travel pump because it is smaller and lighter.

I also bought an Armored Ruster Henhouse to use this year... had an awful time last year with my old bike box(stunk for many reasons) barely making weight with just my bike in it.

Carrying a full size pump is a pain in my experience, but you can do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never.

If the plan is to drive to bike check-in, or hotel is close enough to push the bike to the check in, then I fly with no pump. If the plan is to ride to check-in then I fly with a portable handpump. They will put in 70-80 psi enough to ride from the hotel.

Plan is always to borrow a floor pump at the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you fly with your stand-up air pump? [leahnp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the IM Copenhagen Expo a couple of years ago, I noticed they were selling these full standup floor pumps that were made completely of plastic. Cheapo, no doubt, but worked well and weighed almost nothing. I brought mine home with me and think I'll bring it again. I figure, as long as I only use it for races it will last long enough. Certainly a lot easier to use than my Lezyne
Quote Reply