Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Traveling triathlete ever been looking for cheap currency exchange
Quote | Reply
I know that all the Ironman registration fees, bike shipping, hotel/airbnb, flight tickets make all our international trips expensive, even when it's just for vacation without all our gears. So I was wondering, what is your solution to get some currencies on a cheap way when you are traveling internationally?

I think i have a pretty interesting solution i'm working on and I will share it with you in return.
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling triathlete ever been looking for cheap currency exchange [FlorianNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally i use ATM when i arrive at destination but i have a problem with that solution, fees + poor market rate
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling triathlete ever been looking for cheap currency exchange [FlorianNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also i always afraid to withdraw too much because i never know what to do with the leftover currency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to exchange it back either in the airport before you leave or in your home country.

Typically I just withdraw from ATMs. My bank card doesn't have any extra surcharge for international, so it's just the usual $2 fee (plus the ATM fee).

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling triathlete ever been looking for cheap currency exchange [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed for the flat fee when you withdraw but if you check closely the cross currency rate the bank is charging you is definitely not great.
I also noticed that banks/travelex don't take back the coins and charge you another % to take your money back. So i feel like it's always a double/triple pain.....like 2 flats on the bike part of an ironman :) :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to resolve all those problems and get the most of our money, i working on a project called TRANSMUTE, a peer to peer currency exchange App which will be available soon.
It will be free and will allow you to be in contact with people who are interested in getting the currency you have and you the currency they have (it can be a traveler coming in the US whereas you are just arriving in EU / UK / CAN / ....).
That way no need to pay extra fees at the ATM or get your cash at a bad exchange rate. It will also work when you come back in the US with some leftover currency, you might find interesting to exchange it with someone near you.
Just have a look on your rest day or if you do some cycling trainers : www.transmuteapp.com
Don't hesitate to leave your email or follow us on facebook/twitter and be aware once we are live !
Last edited by: FlorianNYC: Apr 18, 17 7:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be also interested in having your feedback or questions so please don't hesitate sending me something at florian@transmuteapp.com
Last edited by: FlorianNYC: Apr 18, 17 10:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I travel all the time and never had a problem using an ATM to withdraw and deposit funds.

As for FX rates, you are getting better rates using an ATM as opposed to a exchange counter where they make money on the wide ass spreads. I bank with HSBC and do not incur any ATM fee's whatsoever. I routinely check my FX rates when I return from my trips and find the rates I was charged to be exactly as what the current market rates are (I use Chase and Citibank credit cards).

Not sure if an service like yours would make my life easier, the other issue is liquidity and above all security.
Last edited by: JTNY: Apr 18, 17 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling triathlete ever been looking for cheap currency exchange [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks JTNY, appreciate your feedback and indeed security and liquidity are a major concern for the experience of our customers and we will ensure to match both aspects.

Usually Banks don't accept foreign coins and will charge you for any foreign currency deposit.This is the major reason why people are having sleeping leftover currency from previous trips whereas with our solution they will be capable to get rid of it for free at the exact market rate and make an happy traveler at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should leave your email on http://www.transmuteapp.com , I'm receiving great feedback from many travelers.
Quote Reply