Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike training plan after breaking leg. Advice?
Quote | Reply
I broke my leg skiing in Feb. (tibia plateau). As of last 2 weeks, I am now allowed to put about 60% weight on leg (in 3rd week, 1st & 2nd week 30%), and next week start walking. I have been spinning along on the trainer with other leg doing most of the work, per Dr instructions. The next 2 weeks will be light spinning, then I can probably start some sort of program. Leg is fairly atrophied, and cardio is gone after 3 months of inactivity.

What type of plan should I be doing to get back up to speed?

Is my group riding done for the season (ride w/ a group of hammerheads, no waiting)?

How long until back at regular power?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Bike training plan after breaking leg. Advice? [Dynastar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most important is the consolidation of the broken bone, muscles and cardio will come back then. A save plan is to stay in the allowed % of weight and never to train into pain. Go with the advice of the doc ore operateur, maybe just repeat exercises after a break if it works fine. Scar tissue is renewed in two steps, the first last 6 to 12 weeks and the second up to 12 months. Going hard too soon can throw you back to the very start .. healing means to listen to the body and it plays an individual song for every one. All the best!

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: Apr 17, 17 13:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had both ankles scoped and microfracture on one of those ankles about 1.5 years ago (November 15) and spent 6 weeks primarily in bed. I found that while I was cleared to ride two months post op at a light pace (February 16); I didn't have the physical stamina to ride and manage other areas of my life. It actually took me another month or so afterwards to be comfortable riding again. Once I had made it that far, I wasn't on a structured training plan for another 2 - 3 months (May 16) or so, as my body adapted to riding.

When I did start a structured training plan again (August16) , I went straight to TrainerRoad Low Volume Sweet Spot Base. The point is, listen to how your body feels, don't jump into structured training again immediately and be prepared to have your body dictate to you what you can do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my knee rebuilt in September, after a car/bike incident, the crash was in august. I was at an ftp of around 300, i started riding the trainer in December and have bumped my FTP up to 200. So, it takes a while. The atrophy is brutal to rebuild volume, you can be back to full strength and still have a skinny leg. Good luck and stay with it, I know how hard it is mentally to keep at it.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you doing PT?
I think PT (and by that I mean really high quality PT) is what you need most.
Cycling fitness will come back pretty easy.
What you want is to re-build the muscle on that side.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike training plan after breaking leg. Advice? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:
Are you doing PT?
I think PT (and by that I mean really high quality PT) is what you need most.
Cycling fitness will come back pretty easy.
What you want is to re-build the muscle on that side.

This. Cycling fitness comes back really quickly once you can ride regularly. Riding regularly is much more likely with PT.

IME, bike shape comes back within 2-3 months depending on the layoff.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike training plan after breaking leg. Advice? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That, and it is worth finding the best PT in your area and even spending your own $ in needed.
Sometimes a PT clinic that insurance pays for accomplishes little-
Quote Reply