Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does anyone know how much you need to beat the standard to enter Boston?
Quote | Reply
I'm 48, and so need a 3:25 to qualify for next year's Boston. I've got a marathon this weekend where I'd like to BQ for next year. For this year, does anyone know by how much you had to beat the standard to actually be able to register?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know how much you need to beat the standard to enter Boston? [gellerche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found an article at Runners World that said it was 2:09 under the standard.

http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/2017-boston-marathon-cut-off-is-209-under-qualifying-standards

Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know how much you need to beat the standard to enter Boston? [gellerche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gellerche wrote:
I'm 48, and so need a 3:25 to qualify for next year's Boston. I've got a marathon this weekend where I'd like to BQ for next year. For this year, does anyone know by how much you had to beat the standard to actually be able to register?

Thanks!

Here's the history since 2012:
  • For the 2012 Boston Marathon, the cutoff for qualifying times was drawn at those who beat their qualifying standard by 74 seconds or faster.
  • For the 2014 Boston Marathon, the cutoff for qualifying times was drawn at those who beat their qualifying standard by 98 seconds or faster.
  • For the 2015 Boston Marathon, the cutoff for qualifying times was drawn at those who beat their qualifying standard by 62 seconds or faster.
  • For the 2016 Boston Marathon, the cutoff for qualifying times was drawn at those who beat their qualifying standard by 2:28 or faste

Three minutes is probably a "safe" window. Of course, the final answer depends on the times of all the registrants.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know how much you need to beat the standard to enter Boston? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, all. I understand that there's no guarantees for the time for 2017, these numbers are a big help for my game plan for Saturday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, good luck. Tough when it's a moving target and you won't actually know until registration time.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know how much you need to beat the standard to enter Boston? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kinda like the B standards for NCAA im swimming.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think what happens is people with a certain time (say 20 mins or faster) under their AG qualifying time get to sign up first. Then, a few days later, everyone with times 15-20 mins faster are allowed to register, etc etc. So to be safe, try to beat the qualifying time by at least 5 minutes so you will be in that group. I think if you beat it by 5 minutes or more, you're guaranteed and don't have to worry.

"In previous years, registration occurred on a “rolling admission” schedule, beginning with the fastest qualifiers, and remained open until all qualifier spots had been filled. Preference was given to those who had run the fastest under their age and gender qualifying standard (see below for the 2018 standards).

In 2017, registration first opened for eligible runners who had met their qualifying standard 20 minutes or more. Registration then opened two days later for those who had met their qualifying standard by 10 minutes or more, followed by two days later for runners who had met their qualifying standard by five minutes or more. Registration then opened for all time qualifiers the following week."
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know how much you need to beat the standard to enter Boston? [Pennstate506] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I forgot about the 5 minute blocks. There's a pacer for 3:25 (what I absolutely need) and 3:15, so my plan is to stick with the 3:25 pacer until the 10 mile mark, and then 20 seconds/mile faster than the group after that if I'm up to it. And if I'm not up to going faster, then I'll stick with the bare minimum.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know how much you need to beat the standard to enter Boston? [Pennstate506] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pennstate506 wrote:
I think what happens is people with a certain time (say 20 mins or faster) under their AG qualifying time get to sign up first. Then, a few days later, everyone with times 15-20 mins faster are allowed to register, etc etc. So to be safe, try to beat the qualifying time by at least 5 minutes so you will be in that group. I think if you beat it by 5 minutes or more, you're guaranteed and don't have to worry.

"In previous years, registration occurred on a “rolling admission” schedule, beginning with the fastest qualifiers, and remained open until all qualifier spots had been filled. Preference was given to those who had run the fastest under their age and gender qualifying standard (see below for the 2018 standards).

In 2017, registration first opened for eligible runners who had met their qualifying standard 20 minutes or more. Registration then opened two days later for those who had met their qualifying standard by 10 minutes or more, followed by two days later for runners who had met their qualifying standard by five minutes or more. Registration then opened for all time qualifiers the following week."

Yes, that is how it works, but in practice, it doesn't really matter. All you need to do it beat the cutoff...whatever it is. Even if you beat your BQ time by 30 minutes and finally register in the final block (everyone with BQ-5 through BQ-0), you'll still get in. Also, even if you wait till the last day of the last block and register with a BQ-4:30, you'll still take the spot from the person who signed up in the first minute of that last block who was right on the bubble. In reality, all that system does is reduce strain on their servers and create a little (lot) of drama for the people right on the edge.
Quote Reply