Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Books that should have been made into a movie but weren't [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have there been any adaptations of Carl Hiassen's detective novels? None come to mind

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Books that should have been made into a movie but weren't [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The worst journey in the world - Aspley gerard

http://web.archive.org/...adventure_books.html

This list is worth reviewing. A life task of mine is to read them all. Some are amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Books that should have been made into a movie but weren't [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a voracious reader as a child. I read stuff like The Cancer Ward by Solzenhitsyn in grade 7 or 8. But couldn't read Lord of the Rings. I think I got to about ten pages and couldn't go any further. My brothers ate that stuff up. I think they read them several times. I still think Tolkien was genius though. C.S Lewis way more readable. Those guys were really cool. Used to hang out in the Pub together knocking back beer and discussing literature but if you are using the term Inklings you probably know.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Books that should have been made into a movie but weren't [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Eagle and Child (aka The Bird and Baby)--toast!

Tolkien was a philologist of the highest order which makes Blep's criticism so laughable. I can see saying something like 'this genre does nothing for me'. But to assert Tolkien didn't know how to use the English language in writing is just without merit

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Books that should have been made into a movie but weren't [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I was a voracious reader as a child. I read stuff like The Cancer Ward by Solzenhitsyn in grade 7 or 8. But couldn't read Lord of the Rings. I think I got to about ten pages and couldn't go any further. My brothers ate that stuff up. I think they read them several times. I still think Tolkien was genius though. C.S Lewis way more readable. Those guys were really cool. Used to hang out in the Pub together knocking back beer and discussing literature but if you are using the term Inklings you probably know.

I couldn't get into Tolkien's work until well into my late 20's, despite attempts in high school and college.

Kind of related, in college I lived near Edgbaston Reservoir in Birmingham, which had a brick waterworks tower at one end of it. About half a mile or so away was another similar tower. I didn't know it at the time but Tolkien once lived on Stirling Road which was located between the two, and it's rumoured that they formed the inspiration for the two towers in the LOTR.

You can see one here:
https://www.google.com/...13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

and if you rotate about 90* to the right you can see the other. If you rotate another 90*, that's the street Tolkien lived on.
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Apr 20, 17 6:40
Quote Reply
Re: Books that should have been made into a movie but weren't [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome--thanks for posting this!

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

IIRC, The Lord of the Rings started out as another kid's book like The Hobbit before he decided about half-way through the first one to make it into a more dark, adult story. Once I read that, it makes some of the flighty stuff early in the first book make sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Books that should have been made into a movie but weren't [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll add "Into Thin Air" by John Krakauer. I think there was a TV movie made at some point, but a glossy hollywood version might by good (or terrible)

Everest w/Jake Gyllenhaal and Josh Brolin was made in 2015. I thought it was reasonably good.
Quote Reply
Re: Books that should have been made into a movie but weren't [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ESPN Films did a 30 for 30 documentary on Eddie Aikau and it was great.
Quote Reply
Re: Books that should have been made into a movie but weren't [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Have there been any adaptations of Carl Hiassen's detective novels? None come to mind

Wasn't "Striptease" one?
Quote Reply

Prev Next