Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TrainerRoad with Tacx Neo [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Guys! Bryce from TrainerRoad here.
I have no vested interest in the Wahoo vs Neo comparison, however I thought I would jump in to clarify one point.

The Kickr does not simply show the Target Power. The reason the power looks so smooth is becasue the Kickr contains a gear ratio between the freehub and the flywheel.

When you pedal your trainer, whether it is a Kickr or a Neo, it spins a weighted flywheel to simulate realistic road feel and smooth out your power. However, the Kickr's gear ratio allows for a different interaction between your drivetrain and the flywheel. Since the Neo does not have this ratio, one rotation of the cassette= one rotation of the flywheel. On the Kickr, one rotation of the cassette results in many rotations of the flywheel, which means that the flywheel is rotating many times faster, which means more inertia, which means smoother power.

Both trainers are actively reading your power, but the Kickr will just be a bit smoother. Now, it can be argued that this smoother power is less responsive to power changes and helps "hide" a poor pedal stroke or improper technique, but that is a different conversation :)

Having dealt considerably with both trainers, I can easily recommend either of them with their individual strengths being:
Kickr: Smooth power delivery
Neo: Silent operation

I hope this helped clear things up!

I wasn't going to respond, but after a while this post was bothering me more and more.

What are you talking about? Measuring power is a Physics problem. There are direct ways to measure power (measure Torque and velocity/cadence) and combine to measure power.

There are also indirect ways to measure power as well, by estimation models, ala the fluid trainer style curves.

The Kickr is showing a flat line in erg mode, then that is an estimation pure and simple. The actual power is not smooth which I know because I own a Kickr, a good power meter and a Tacx Neo.

The rest of your post reads like an audiophile post style post. I have huge respect for Trainerroad, but this pseudo science babble is total rubbish.
Quote Reply

Prev Next