Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!!
Quote | Reply
I realize Herbert already started a thread on his aerobar setup but I thought it was interesting to see that Kienle finally went with Supersonic tires. Fwiw, I was lucky enough to spend some time swimming with Sebastian in 2014. During our sock kick sessions we spent a lot of time talking equipment. I did ask him back then why he wasn't using Supersonics and he said he was afraid of flats. Interesting to see him riding the SS. Maybe a change of heart, or maybe he just rode them in training and finally got comfortable with their durability. Not sure if this is his first race or not, crossing my fingers for him. I have always had really good success with the tire, as have many on here, but that lack of puncture strip really scares people for some reason.

Nonetheless, I realize that Jens has had some mixed results with his roller testing of the new tire. I do think it could have been some production issues that hopefully have been resolved.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Apr 16, 17 4:35
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why? The Grand Prix TT is faster and less prone to flats. You have the data
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im tempted to get some SS's or gpTT tires for busso 70.3 in a few weeks time.....i have been rolling 4ks2 for so long now and have never flatted that i think ill be tempting fate switching out. Im not sure how much time/watts ill save going from the gp to SS's or TT's over 90kms, but if its good enough for kienle?
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
im tempted to get some SS's or gpTT tires for busso 70.3 in a few weeks time.....i have been rolling 4ks2 for so long now and have never flatted that i think ill be tempting fate switching out. Im not sure how much time/watts ill save going from the gp to SS's or TT's over 90kms, but if its good enough for kienle?

Well the beauty for us mortals is that we aren't going as fast as Kienle. Kienle has to be more concerned with aero because of the way it scales versus rolling resistance. According to Tom A's chart you could save 5 watts in RR.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 watts at 30mph is 20sec over 40k correct? So over 90km its a tad over 40seconds roughy.....i wish i rode at 30mph, unfortunately i ride a half in 23mph...well i did last year (37kmhr). I always had trouble converting watts to a 'time'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have a pair of Supersonic 23s and a Supersonic 20 on its way. I will test them both.

Why 20C? After putting the 23C TT on my Jet 9+, I realized that using 23C Conti tires on that rim is an aero risk. The TT measured around 27.2 wide; the widest point of the wheel fairing is about 28.5 (it's actually quite a bit narrower than that near the valve). That is too close to the 1.05 ratio for my comfort.

So that's one reason to use the SS: you can still get a 20C version of it.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Apr 16, 17 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jen,

Keep us updated on the 20c SS. Some of us still run narrow rims and prefer a viable 20c tire.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran a front 23 mm ss and rear 23 mm TT in two races so far this year. A sprint and a 70.3. Still playing around with tire pressures but so far I'm happy with my selection as I've had no issues.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm down to my last 2 older gen supersonics. And they will need replacing soon. Debating the new supersonics or going with the corsa speeds. I only do tts though so I want the absolute fastest tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
I'm down to my last 2 older gen supersonics. And they will need replacing soon. Debating the new supersonics or going with the corsa speeds. I only do tts though so I want the absolute fastest tires.

This is like perfect for you.....

https://www.gofundme.com/findfaster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only way the supersonic is faster is if it's well worn and subsequently even more prone to flats from everything that I've seen.The only supersonic that was faster that I've seen is a well worn one that Tom tested...and I definitely wouldn't race on a well worn supersonic. I'm open to convincing otherwise though.
That aside...I don't race on anything except a 25 Conti 4000Sll..giving up a watt or two doesn't make up for the self assurance I have at 30mph +.
Last edited by: Bernoullitrial: Apr 16, 17 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
The only way the supersonic is faster is if it's well worn and subsequently even more prone to flats from everything that I've seen.The only supersonic that was faster that I've seen is a well worn one that Tom tested...and I definitely wouldn't race on a well worn supersonic. I'm open to convincing otherwise though.
That aside...I don't race on anything except a 25 Conti 4000Sll..giving up a watt or two doesn't make up for the self assurance I have at 30mph +.

Fwiw, I have worn no less than 3 Supersonics down the cords in races. Who knows if the final straw was the hard braking was coming into T2 in those cases. I usually try to replace before hitting the cords but sometimes I miscalculate the amount of braking I will end up doing at it happens. I really do think people are too risk adverse when it comes to rubber. I also road a 20mm Veloflex record one summer as commuting tire and had no issues. Those numbers weren't the numbers for 30 mph+, those numbers were for 40km/h

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first thought when I saw that tire choice was that Seb is perusing these forums and has possibly been influenced by your Supersonic raves.

I'll pretend I can take credit for the EE dual mount brake usage:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6231103#p6231103
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6178363#p6178363
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5224071#p5224071

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
5 watts at 30mph is 20sec over 40k correct? So over 90km its a tad over 40seconds roughy.....i wish i rode at 30mph, unfortunately i ride a half in 23mph...well i did last year (37kmhr). I always had trouble converting watts to a 'time'.

That was 5 watts at 40km/h. The beauty of rolling resistance is the slower you are going the more you actually benefit from the rolling resistance component in relation to aero.

Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
My first thought when I saw that tire choice was that Seb is perusing these forums and has possibly been influenced by your Supersonic raves.

I'll pretend I can take credit for the EE dual mount brake usage:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6231103#p6231103
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6178363#p6178363
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5224071#p5224071

Lol, maybe he does read Slowtwitch, I have no idea. I had always try to encourage people to ride them in training to get comfortable with how durable or not durable they are. As an aside I was always shocked at Kona over the past few years, it seems like many finally adopted a TT tire, but why not take some chances at the biggest race of the year. I mean really, who cares if you finish. If you finish in the Top 10 now you are at least talking and how nice would it be to save a few watts in the gong show that is the bike. If you can keep under the red line while others guy go over then that has to play to the favor of the athletes on the run.I never got it. I can see if you didn't need the tires to go fast, but for most of the guys, why not take a chance.

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Apr 17, 17 8:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
..... but more about EE brakes over other aero brake options

Seb spent quite a bit of time training with the Hoff this year, so him perusing these boards for some aero advantages is not inconceivable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a link to results?
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
Is there a link to results?

9 minutes faster on the bike than Raelert, 10 minutes faster than Aernouts. I think he biked ok. Whether the Supersonics helped? Who knows? He didn't lead out of the swim which is important distinction with such a fast bike split and was over 3 minutes back so it likely took a while to get to the front of the race.

Kienle for the win...

Results here: http://www.timingzone.com/...-triathlon/#1_A56E4B

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Apr 16, 17 12:51
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
..... but more about EE brakes over other aero brake options

Seb spent quite a bit of time training with the Hoff this year, so him perusing these boards for some aero advantages is not inconceivable.

My *guess* on the EE Brakes is that it might be related to him training Tucson. Fairwheel Bikes is located their, and that's basically the prime destination for people who want stuff like that.

He may also have been looking for a way to make SRAM happy since the Foil is a Direct Mount brake bike and, if possible, he may have wanted to avoid running Shimano direct mount on there. And there are not a ton of options in that case. The EE brake is light and reasonably aero and available in a direct mount config, so if he went in and saw them at Fairwheel, that'd have been a logical thing to buy.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good call.

Fairwheel is where I got my EE brakes, THM crank, Tune hub, etc from. awesome shop

Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kienle is German, and all Germans have a weight-weenie techno-geek hidden inside them. Couldn't resist such a beautiful piece of engineering...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

You can get 20C Conti GP4000SII

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Kienle Tires Choice at Cannes Triathlon - He went with the Supersonic!!!! [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
jens wrote:

You can get 20C Conti GP4000SII

And the Crr penalty is about 5 watts per pair, depending on which mystery version of the Supersonic you actually have.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just put EEbrakes on my new tarmac(regular mount) and they're awesome

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply