Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I need swim help (video)
Quote | Reply
I have only been swimming for 4 months so I know this is terrible technique, but I would like to start improving. I had 5 swim lessons in the very beginning but can't afford to continue them on a regular basis. I will probably buy another 5 lesson package in the fall, but until then I would really like to keep improving. The good news is even though my technique is terrible, my swim fitness has been improving. I went from swimming 25s and completely out of breath to swimming 2,000 without stopping.

I am looking for the worst parts of my stroke and some simple drills or main things to focus on and improve.

Thanks for your time.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Last edited by: bluestacks867: Apr 15, 17 16:52
Quote Reply
Re: I need swim help (video) [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing overtly terrible from what I can see, other than those godawful mask goggle things on your face that is. <<<Shudder>>>

Main issue that I see is that everything just moves so slow. Snappier on the recovery, on the pull you want to accelerate the hand through the stroke.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: I need swim help (video) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Nothing overtly terrible from what I can see, other than those godawful mask goggle things on your face that is. <<<Shudder>>>

Main issue that I see is that everything just moves so slow. Snappier on the recovery, on the pull you want to accelerate the hand through the stroke.

Nice! I thought my stoke was way worse than that. So the positioning and angles of my arms / hands are good? I think the slowness is because my arms are weak and I get out of breathe, but my swim fitness has been improving so I will try to make it a point to be making quicker more powerful movements.

I had a nasty crossover that I have been trying to correct and I think it was corrected at the time I took that video.

I had issues with goggles digging into my nose and finally settled on the mask for comfort. It does look ridiculous though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IDK if it's because your turn over is slow but you have almost a hitch before you hand enters the water. It's more prominent with your right. The only reason I think it's related to going slow is I see it with older people swimming. Or are you really concentrating on your stroke and over thinking it for some reason.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: I need swim help (video) [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks good for just a few lessons!
Your left arm is slightly overstriding, probably breaking the rhythm a bit. Also try to keep your elbow higher while breathing, looks like you are overstriding under your body during that phase of the stroke, too. -> that should eliminate that side movement.

Your stroke count looks a bit too low for my taste aswell. Maybe it is too early, but you should pick it up a bit and have a look at a Height-Stroke Count Index (eg.https://smoothstrokes.wordpress.com/...-stroke-count-index/[/url]) Aim for top of the range frequencies while swimming slow and low stroke counts at higher speeds. That will keep you focused on technique, travelling at decent speeds through the water!
Counting strokes up the lane and focussing on technique down the lane, makes those long 2000m intervals you speak of pass faster! :)

Don't be a stranger and give some feedback of your progression!

Best regards :nk

sent from my iPhone
Last edited by: Stromlinie: Apr 18, 17 11:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You look really good for a mere 4 month swimmer! Wayyyy better than I did for my first 1.5 years as an adult-onset swimmer for sure.

The big, obvious limiter, but which is appropriate for your low experience/training level as a new adult swimmer, is the lack of power throughout the stroke. Power being the combination of turnover (yours is very low) as well as force per pull (also visibly low compared to better swimmers.) This just takes a lot of training and time in the pool and will probably come fairly fast for you since you're so new to the pool.

The only real technical hitch that you should correct right away is when you take a breath, you still crossover the arm way across the midline. That goes away on your nonbreathing strokes, which look ok. You should fix this, but this will honestly be a SMALL limiter in speed.

There are other little things, but honestly, not worth worrying about for now. For sure though, I wouldn't say your technique is terrible - it's definitely 'good enough' for improvement without saying 'stop and fix now!!'
Quote Reply
Re: I need swim help (video) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the detailed feedback everyone. I will definitely work on your suggestions. I also feel more confident from your feedback and feel like I am on the right track. It took me this long to post because I was still working on fitness. I was so busy gasping for air every length that it was too hard to focus on my movements. I am much more comfortable in the water now and should start being able to put this advice to good use.

Quote Reply