Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Huawei smartphones
Quote | Reply
Seeing lots of ads for these anyone read any reviews?

I assume they are running Android. And aince they are Chinese I automatically assume that they are shit.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Huawei smartphones [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years ago I was in Kunming, China and noticed a lot of Apple Stores. I thought there was something wrong because Apple wouldn't have so many close together so I did a search and sure enough, Apple was in a constant battle in Kunming over fake Apple Stores. They would set up the store exactly the way it looks here, the same display tables and everything. Even the employees thought (or at least said they thought) they were working for Apple. I was there in 2012 and when I looked it up, there were apparently 22 fake Apple stores in Kunming alone shut down in 2011. The ones I saw, had been opened after the fake ones were shut down so the problem was still on going.

One day, I was walking down the street, and 4 guys were sitting on chairs, right in the middle of a busy sidewalk. They had black phones and I stood there watching as they took an Apple sticker and put it on the phone. They were all working with those magnifying eye pieces and small tools with the phones apart right in front of them. They were all fake and it was done in the open.

I couldn't walk 500' there without someone offering to sell me an "Apple" phone for a bargain.

I would never buy an electronic good from a Chinese company. I don't trust them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

I assume they are running Android. And aince they are Chinese I automatically assume that they are shit.

These phones have been around a while and are actually pretty good.

https://www.stuff.tv/huawei/p10-plus/review
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had two so far and for the price they are excellent. (My first one lasted 4 years). Best part is they were unlocked so I can switch phone plans whenever I feel like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got one for my wife, it's actually a great phone - specs are good, battery life is amazing. I read that it's actually the Nexus 6p rebadged, now that Google has gone Pixel...

For $99 from the provider, the spec is really hard to beat. Wife finds it really large, tho, upgrading from a Samsung S4 Mini...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

They generally run a not quite Android OS.
As mentioned, usually people looking for high end specs for a non-contract phone.
Plenty of reviews and feedback (with an Aussie focus) https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/140
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
And since they are Chinese I automatically assume that they are shit.

Hey, 1990's called and want their Sino Xenophobia back.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Huawei smartphones [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking online at watches after reading responses to my thread about watches for the rest of us. One of the things that concerned me about buying online was the amount of "fake" watches from China. For that reason, I am very reluctant to buy from craigslist or even ebay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you pronounce that name phonetically - it could be Who-Are-We?
Quote Reply
Re: Huawei smartphones [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Until it is proven to me otherwise, I will assume Chinese stuff is shit. Why? Because there's a hell of a lot of stuff from china that is just shit.

Don't blame me. Blame them for making so much shit

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Until it is proven to me otherwise, I will assume Chinese stuff is shit. Why? Because there's a hell of a lot of stuff from china that is just shit.

Don't blame me. Blame them for making so much shit

Similarly for the USA. I'd probably opt for a Great Wall of China car over anything designed and built in the USA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do know that Huawei manufactured Google's Nexus 6p flagship phone two years ago? They actually make quite a few good products. The Huawei 1st gen smart watch and now the second gen which runs android wear 2.0 come to mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Huawei smartphones [gasman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To add to the knowledge base.

Huawei is owned by the same person that owns Foxconn. The primary manufacture of the Iphone and a vast majority of other consumer electronic devices. They build a lot of other brand phones as well in their factories.

It's likely that some of the technology in their phone came from other manufacturers.

Be careful going down the road that everything made in China is junk. The majority of it is designed in other parts of the world and simply manufactured there. Chinese designed is a different story unless they took IP from someone else.

Lastly if you have had an ultrasound, or many other medical procedures a very large portion of those medical devices are manufactured in China or APAC.

Just information for the masses,
Quote Reply
Re: Huawei smartphones [Tik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow did not know that they are foxcon as well. That is really a tech manufacturing heavyweight! You learn something new every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

OS by Google and most likely brains made by QUALCOMM. Pretty good phones and on par with just about every other smartphone out there (Android).
Quote Reply