Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FTP & HR
Quote | Reply
Question for slowtwitchers:

Recently saw about a 7% increase in FTP after testing. Now during 95-99% or FTP+ intervals, my HR sky rockets to around 185-190 bpm. I am a bigger guy, so using Maffetone on the run to try and improve aerobic endurance. Is this high HR also a sign of aerobic endurance deficiencies? Should I back the FTP off and ride at a less punishing heart rate? I would imagine that otherwise over time, I'm going to have some serious burn out, not to mention all of the scarring on the heart from spending so much time in the upper 5% of my HR zones.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP & HR [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something doesn't seem quite right here...you're saying that intervals at 95-99% of FTP are driving your heart rate to w/in 5% of maximum? Are you sure you have your FTP set correctly? What are the environmental conditions like during these workouts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
95% FTP to "FTP+" is a big range. Your heartrate @ FTP should be relatively stable. If your HR is responding to efforts *above* FTP, that's not necessarily a bad thing when accompanied by expected increases in speed/power.

As for budgeting of near-or-above-FTP in training, that's an area of active debate with many theories and advocates taking out different areas.

As a non-expert, I've kind of latched on to the polarized training model. Which budgets out intensity in careful doses, with the vast bulk of training at lower intensity. You can search for the term in this forum and find a wealth of information.

Again, as a non-expert, I wouldn't take it as fact that your heart scars from endurance from intense exercise. Some people's may, for various reasons. But a lot of athletes who've spent thousands of hours at very intense levels of exercise seem to escape ill cardiac effects. If you want to get tested for heart disease, please do. But I wouldn't self-diagnose the cause of your higher HR.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP & HR [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily. I've got my FTP set as a result of my ftp test results. That said, during my ftp test I also see my hr at 180+ for the last 10 minutes of a 20 minute test. I can push myself way up there before my legs actually get tired. So it's obviously that I have some aerobic limiters. My weight is not a giant help, but on a bike that should be less of a factor than running, especially on a trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't really answer my questions, but regardless, here is another one (actually, several):

1) how did you determine your FTP?

2) what is your maximum heart rate, and how did you determine it?

If your maximum heart rate is, say, 200 beats/min, then you shouldn't be surprised or concerned if your heart hits 180+ beats/min during extended efforts at FTP.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP & HR [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry.

Conditions inside are like 65-70. No im not sure that it's accurate, but it's the result of TrainerRoad FTP test. Yes, im saying that during 12min intervals at 95-99% ftp my heart rate got up to 185-190. All out 5k on numerous occasions I maxed out my HR at 192, so that's where my max hr is. I also had a lab vo2max test done that corroborated that info. In addition, during 20 min ftp test, I typically see my hr up at 185-190.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
Sorry.

Conditions inside are like 65-70. No im not sure that it's accurate, but it's the result of TrainerRoad FTP test. Yes, im saying that during 12min intervals at 95-99% ftp my heart rate got up to 185-190. All out 5k on numerous occasions I maxed out my HR at 192, so that's where my max hr is. I also had a lab vo2max test done that corroborated that info. In addition, during 20 min ftp test, I typically see my hr up at 185-190.

None of that makes sense.
A 20min FTP test is above FTP and you see 185-190.
So how can sub FTP intervals take you to the same HR?

And I doubt that you saw your max during a 5k, there would be too much lactate to be able to push that high.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP & HR [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big guy. I get to much higher heart rates faster than someone with a better body composition.

And it makes perfect sense. The problem is that my heart rate goes to high. You can look at all my Training Peaks or Strava workouts if you'd like. I get up into the 180's at a variety of powers. The longer I'm at a close to ftp power, the higher my heart rate goes. Makes pretty good sense to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.
Your HR doesn't rise at FTP.
It is at equilibrium.
If your HR is rising after the initial rise, then you are above FTP, overheating etc.
Your estimated FTP is simply wrong. All FTP tests of short duration are estimates and can be wildly askew for varying levels of fitness and individuals.

In your case, you are a prime example of needing to do a proper test to accurately find training levels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. So if the test that the folks at TrainerRoad prescribe is inaccurate, what is a proper test?

Of course I'm over heating. I'm fat. We've established that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use a 40km time trial or something similar.
Look at race results.

You have a lot of power above FTP compared to your FTP so that is skewing the result form short test estimations.
So you need to do a longer test or a full step test work up with lactate/power and heartrate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
Ok. So if the test that the folks at TrainerRoad prescribe is inaccurate, what is a proper test?

Of course I'm over heating. I'm fat. We've established that.

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/...deadly-sins.html?m=1

Re: overheating, I'm a bigger guy prone to overheating as well and that's something you need to take into account when setting training levels based on ftp. Just because you have an indication that you can sustain a given power at threshold under perfect conditions, doesn't mean you can sustain it under all circumstances.

Re: high hr and burnout, don't worry about a high or low hr at a given power. If it is possible to sustain the power for the prescribed workout week in and week out, it's a good indication you won't burnout. Use hr as an added tool to verify or understand what you're seeing from the powermeter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to go with fitness. Does your HR continually rise while at FTP or does it stabilize early and stay at 185-190? If it drifts higher, that is fitness related IMO (not a DR or Physiologist, just experience). If it remains steady, it is what it is and you can expect intervals at 95-99% to get you close to that number because that is the goal of those intervals. To be hard but repeatable repeatable and teach your body to clear lactic acid more efficiently. For bigger guys, I think getting most of your intense cardio on the bike is better on your body. Less pounding from running fast, although some tempo runs and intervals are necessary in a balanced diet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell me about the cooling fan/s you're using or better yet show a picture of it/them set up where you have them set up with your trainer. Cooling especially for a well insulated athlete is very important.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think my hr has ever held steady at any effort. It always drifts up during a ride. I've been doing this my entire life.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: FTP & HR [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here is how MOST people should test their FTP.

1. Taper
2. Ride a 45-55 minute time trial and hold even power.

your avg power is your ftp.
your avg heart rate last half of your race is your max threshold heart rate.

ftp intervals should range from 7-8 bpm BELOW that effort, UP to that effort towards the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
Sorry.

All out 5k will be about 105% ftp in Watts. So your heartrate at ftp will be under 192, lets say 185. If we estimate the HR at ftp to be 90% of the maximum heartrate, your maximum heartrate is 205.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP & HR [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
cmd111183 wrote:
Sorry.

All out 5k will be about 105% ftp in Watts. So your heartrate at ftp will be under 192, lets say 185. If we estimate the HR at ftp to be 90% of the maximum heartrate, your maximum heartrate is 205.
The problem here is that he has used a simple method to estimate his FTP and it has failed miserably.
So your answer is to use an even less reliable way to estimate FTP as a cure for his misprescribed training levels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
cmd111183 wrote:
Sorry.

The problem here is that he has used a simple method to estimate his FTP and it has failed miserably.
So your answer is to use an even less reliable way to estimate FTP as a cure for his misprescribed training levels?

You're right of course, I was only guessing
Quote Reply