Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which talcum do you use for latex tubes?
Quote | Reply
What's the fastest talcum on the market?

Just kidding but I'm going to use latex tubes for my next race but only have been able to find talcum with perfume added. Concerned that perfume might not be good for the latex but maybe I'm overthinking it?

Talcum with or without perfume?
Quote Reply
Re: Which talcum do you use for latex tubes? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't need it.
Quote Reply
Re: Which talcum do you use for latex tubes? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baby powder, I rub some on my hands to dry them out (remove oil)....not sure if that is necessary....but I do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Which talcum do you use for latex tubes? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm just a newbie but, if riding latex, is this just the inner tube? And why would you need to apply talcum?
Quote Reply
Re: Which talcum do you use for latex tubes? [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
Maybe I'm just a newbie but, if riding latex, is this just the inner tube? And why would you need to apply talcum?

Yes, it is the inner tube...which is made of latex. Powder isn't required, but I have always used it since someone told it keeps the tube (butyl or latex) from sticking to the tire. Latex loses air pressure faster than butyl. If i go weeks without using a wheel with a latex tube, and it deflates in the tire.....powder might keep it from sticking to the tire when you put air in it. Also, people freaked me about about how careful you have to when installing latex, and I figure getting the oil off of my hands could only help. I am sure it isn't necessary, but I do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Which talcum do you use for latex tubes? [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:

I've found that in high humidity situations especially with new tires that are innately tacky inside that latex will adhere to the inside of the tire and be hard to adjust when first installed. If it's lubed up with talcum the inflated to shape tube will easily slide into the tire and not tend to get itself stuck under the bead. Folks living in drier areas don't seem to have this sort of problem.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not needed where I live in the Pacific Northwest and never had any installation related issues. The latex tubes already come with some powder on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

In 20 years of using latex tubes, I've never used talcum and I've never had a tube stick to the tire. Butyl tubes stick all the time.

I might think twice before spraying talc all over. It probably doesn't cause cancer:

https://www.cancer.org/...wder-and-cancer.html

But why take the risk?

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria tubes have some kind of powder on them from the maker, have never had to add any-live in NYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use baby powder. I'm pretty meticulous when installing a tire.......I hate flats!!!! So I use it, even though it may not be necessary. I also coat the inside of the tire with it - pour some in, then rotate the tire so that it spills its way down to coat the inside.
Quote Reply
Re: Which talcum do you use for latex tubes? [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it perfumed?
Quote Reply
Re: Which talcum do you use for latex tubes? [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

In 20 years of using latex tubes, I've never used talcum and I've never had a tube stick to the tire. Butyl tubes stick all the time.

I might think twice before spraying talc all over. It probably doesn't cause cancer:

https://www.cancer.org/...wder-and-cancer.html

But why take the risk?

Might want to detail the scenarios where it might be correlated to cancer, particularly if you inhale it ALL THE TIME as a worker in a talc mine, or if your female and cram it up your hooch for a long period of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Which talcum do you use for latex tubes? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't need it.
I have never used it and never had a problem.
I've pretty much ridden road on latex exclusively for the last 25 years and any MTB tyres I have that are not set up tubeless as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a gallon sized zip lock baggie with some baby powder in it. I've had the same bag for years. Before I install a tube, I shake it around a few times inside the bag. #perfect
Quote Reply
Re: Which talcum do you use for latex tubes? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I toss them in after the season so they don't stay in the tire during the non race season. In reality I should just put them on my training wheels. Damn me!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Vredesteins.....which have some kind of powder pre installed. Do not use additional talc...never had a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The powder is just there to keep the tube from getting twisted while seating/inflating the tube.

"But is it perfumed?!?!?!"

The perfume is considered good etiquette toward the guy drafting illegally behind you. It masks the smell emanatimg from your tri-shorts and makes his race more bearable. We're all in this together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to try latex tubes this year. Is there a preferred brand everyone is using?
Quote Reply
Re: Which talcum do you use for latex tubes? [theviens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think most of the forums use the vittoria latex tho there are couple of other brands I think for the most part the vittoria tubes come on sale most often! haven't had a single issue with vittoria since I started using them last year and have no reason to change!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:
What's the fastest talcum on the market?

Just kidding but I'm going to use latex tubes for my next race but only have been able to find talcum with perfume added. Concerned that perfume might not be good for the latex but maybe I'm overthinking it?

Talcum with or without perfume?

Notwithstanding the comments from folks who do fine without additional talc, I just use whatever free samples I have on hand, which currently is Bonds Gold Talcum Powder (nonperfumed).
Quote Reply
Re: Which talcum do you use for latex tubes? [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
The powder is just there to keep the tube from getting twisted while seating/inflating the tube.
I always pump up the tube to around 50-60 psi the first time after installation and then deflate it to near empty right afterwards. This will allow the tube to untwist itself as it deflates.
Quote Reply