Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is Shimano 10 speed compatible with SRAM X-SYNC 11 Speed Chainrings?
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I am attempting to make my bike 1x with a SRAM X-SYNC 11 Speed Chainring. However, my bike with RD and wheels are 10 speed...

What chain should I use? I have an Ultegra 10 speed cassette. Are they compatible?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Shimano 10 speed compatible with SRAM X-SYNC 11 Speed Chainrings? [colnagoguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colnagoguy wrote:
Hi,

I am attempting to make my bike 1x with a SRAM X-SYNC 11 Speed Chainring. However, my bike with RD and wheels are 10 speed...

What chain should I use? I have an Ultegra 10 speed cassette. Are they compatible?

It depends on your precise definition. 11-Spd chains are thinner than 10spd, so the ring will "fit" inside a 10spd chain. HOWEVER, because the ring is thinner and designed to mate precisely with an 11spd chain, there will be more space than there SHOULD BE between the teeth and the chain. Given that the entire purpose of the narrow wide ring is to more securely engage the chain, that's problematic.

But you can't run an 11spd chain, because it won't fit the teeth on your cassette in the back.

If you want to run it, you can use an 10spd chain. But you won't have any assurances from SRAM that you won't drop a chain. SRAM 1X is meant to be used as a complete system.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Is Shimano 10 speed compatible with SRAM X-SYNC 11 Speed Chainrings? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Given that I would rather not buy new RD, cassette and wheels ... are there other narrow-wide chainrings that are made to fit 10 speed chains?
Quote Reply