Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fixing a tubeless flat with a tube
Quote | Reply
sorry if it is a dumb question
If I am on the road with tubeless tires and I have a flat, can I fix it with normal butyl tube?
Thinking about my race setup in case I use tubeless...
Quote Reply
Re: Fixing a tubeless flat with a tube [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes- use tire level to pull bead off.
Remove tubeless valve.
Pour out Stans fluid.
Make sure beads from both sides of rim are in center of rim bed. If you skip this sometimes the tire is so tight that it will take you like 20 minutes to get the bead back on.
Use a CO2 to reinflate- you need the pressure to seat the beads properly.

I know a guy who flatted in a gravel race a coupe weeks ago- He did a 5 min flat repair like I mentioned above Still won the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like any tires how easily the tire comes off depends on the combination with that specific rim. But tubeless need to seal so they can be stubborn. But you'd practice that and get a good idea of if you need to pack an XL tire lever when you set it up.

I've carried tubes and when the puncture happens and you put the tube in there are already a few thorns in the tire so the tube punctures straight away. That is a training tire though. With a race tire you'd carefully inspect the tire before the race and make sure that didn't happen.

You are less likely to get a puncture.

I don't have race tubeless but if I did I'd consider carrying a syringe with sealant. Sealant seals most punctures for me, in training, straight away. So it is more to carry but fixing with sealant is a lot quicker than putting in a new tube. Or, if you ride with sealant in the tires, you might carry nothing else to fix it with. In training I've had three audible thorn punctures on the same ride (same day they cut the roadside hedge) two sealed themselves. One I just stopped the bike and rotated the puncture to the bottom and that sealed without getting off the bike. I guess it partly depends on the race distance. I'd be interested what other people do on a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
sorry if it is a dumb question
If I am on the road with tubeless tires and I have a flat, can I fix it with normal butyl tube?
Thinking about my race setup in case I use tubeless...

Yes. But IME, it's far easier and faster to just plug a puncture the sealant can't handle with this:

For larger cuts that would require a "boot", yeah...you'll be breaking a bead and putting in the boot and a tube.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Fixing a tubeless flat with a tube [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am considering the DT Swiss 55 spline C which are tubeless ready, whatever that mean.
These can be the only racing tubeless wheelset.
do you agree?

can't find any deep rim tubeless except these and Zipp 202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo makes some. I thought Shimano made them with 'TL' in the product code but can't see any in the current range. I'll let you know if I see any others. I'm sure other people will know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok thanks
also I can't find much on reviews of these DT Swiss. probably they are brand new on the market
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the Reynolds carbon wheels are tubeless/clincher compatible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
Flo makes some. I thought Shimano made them with 'TL' in the product code but can't see any in the current range. I'll let you know if I see any others. I'm sure other people will know.

That is correct. All of our rim ship tubeless ready.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
I am considering the DT Swiss 55 spline C which are tubeless ready, whatever that mean.
These can be the only racing tubeless wheelset.
do you agree?

Hed Jet+ is another option. I believe all of the Bontrager Aeolus D3 rims are tubeless ready. Some of the Enve rims are tubeless ready (e.g. the new 3.4 and 7.8)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:

Actually with Zipp it is ONLY the 303 (not 202) that is currently available in tubeless.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: Fixing a tubeless flat with a tube [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul Dunn wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:

Actually with Zipp it is ONLY the 303 (not 202) that is currently available in tubeless.

...and only the disc variation iirc
Quote Reply
Re: Fixing a tubeless flat with a tube [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
..and only the disc variation iirc

Good clarification. [pink] But really, do you need to mention it. I mean, we are all going disc, so if you're buying new wheels, would you buy anything else? [/pink]

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply