Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Frontpage Article: Finaker comments on race dynamics... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive been racing for 15 years. Why not use power, HR and PE?
My early years were characterised by going way too hard in the first quarter. I had and HR monitor but rationalised my high HR. Now I have power and even if I don't stick to targets looking at the file afterwards gives me more info on my pacing for the next race.
I still get carried away with race day adrenaline but my HR and power tell me when I'm over cooking it.
The devices become more important as the races get longer
Quote Reply
Re: Frontpage Article: Finaker comments on race dynamics... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Bernoullitrial wrote:
He's absolutely right...with a few caveats.
Using a power meter racing or for that matter...any other device during racing is a detriment to your overall speed...
If you are using those devices during training...you should know "in your mind" the perceived efforts associated with the values of interest...and have them imprinted in your "supercomputer"..."your mind"
Using a powermeter racing means that " you don't understand your body"...You haven't done enough work to understand what you can and can't do.
Using a powermeter racing means that " you haven't done enough work to understand your body"...plain and simple.

Hogwash. How much training do you do totally tapered, with race-day adrenaline in your veins?

^ X 2 Thinking that one's RPE will be really useful after a hard hour swim followed by dozens of first hour heros flying by at or above their FTPs is just incredibly wishful thinking. According to the article Finaker has only done one ride of 3 1/2 hours and for all we know that one was done at higher than IM power. How the heck could he possibly have calibrated his RPE based off essentially no work done at race power? He's a poster child of an ideal candidate for using a power meter for some guidance especially the first hour or so of the bike. A big part of "understanding your body" is understanding how easily fooled it can be in certain situations. Just check the first mile run data from the Kona Pros and see how many totally blow that in a huge way.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Frontpage Article: Finaker comments on race dynamics... [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your PM is very precise, but your FTP target it is not accurate. You do not know your actual FTP on race day. Your actual race day FTP can vary tremendously based on how you ate, slept, and your stress levels in the final few days prior to a race. Your race day FTP also depends on race day environmental factors; heat, humidity, and elevation. So need to learn to race by RPE. //

Finally some people are getting it. This past 10 to 15 years and this blind obsession with power numbers as race day targets has been getting me tired. It is so simple it is almost comical, you smartly compacted all folks need to know in just a few concise sentences, good job..
Quote Reply
Re: Frontpage Article: Finaker comments on race dynamics... [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
windschatten wrote:
I am also confused how one saves "much" power sitting legal. If you save significant power being legal distance you either draft a truck/semi or a huge pack/group.

Uh, no: even remaining the required distance behind a single rider provides a measurable benefit. That's why in cycling TTs the drafting "box" extends back 10 m, and you're not allowed to enter it at all (in contrast to some triathletes who will ride right up on someone's wheel, sit there for a couple of seconds, then drop back the required distance, and repeat the process over and over).

Just FYI, while some triathletes may *DO* this, it's not actually allowed.

You cannot slipstream - you must move left to pass before you enter the draft zone.

You cannot exit the rear of the draftzone - if you come within the prescribed distance (which varies) of the rider in front, you MUST pass them.

Now, I'm not saying that what you describe doesn't happen; it does. But it is explicitly disallowed by competition rules.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Frontpage Article: Finaker comments on race dynamics... [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

You cannot slipstream - you must move left to pass before you enter the draft zone.

So I know this forum is all about IM and nothing really exists, but for races following only USAT or ITU rules, like olympic distance, you are specifically allowed to enter the draft zone while passing. at least for AG.

USAT RULES wrote:
h. Exceptions. A participant may enter the drafting zone without penalty only under the following conditions:
(1) When entering the drafting zone from the rear, closing the gap, and overtaking all within no more than 15 seconds.

ITU RULES wrote:
Standard and shorter distance events bicycle draft zone: the bicycle draft zone will be 10 meters long measured from the leading edge of the front wheel. An athlete may enter the draft zone of another athlete, but must be seen to be progressing through that zone. A maximum of 20 seconds will be allowed to pass through the zone of another athlete;
Quote Reply
Re: Frontpage Article: Finaker comments on race dynamics... [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should have also read the third sentence in Rappstar's reply ;-)

Otherwise, I sense a ripple (or is it a tear?) in the Power-worshiping lattice of this forum.

tfleeger wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

So I know this forum is all about IM and nothing really exists, but for races following only USAT or ITU rules, like olympic distance, you are specifically allowed to enter the draft zone while passing. at least for AG.

USAT RULES wrote:

h. Exceptions. A participant may enter the drafting zone without penalty only under the following conditions:
(1) When entering the drafting zone from the rear, closing the gap, and overtaking all within no more than 15 seconds.

ITU RULES wrote:

Standard and shorter distance events bicycle draft zone: the bicycle draft zone will be 10 meters long measured from the leading edge of the front wheel. An athlete may enter the draft zone of another athlete, but must be seen to be progressing through that zone. A maximum of 20 seconds will be allowed to pass through the zone of another athlete;
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 17, 17 21:39
Quote Reply
Re: Frontpage Article: Finaker comments on race dynamics... [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i guess maybe I should clarify... I was just taken back by Rapp's comment about the rules expressly prohibiting slip-streaming even while passing. I consider myself pretty familiar with the rules that govern races I do, USAT and ITU and didn't see this. I guess I was more curious if this is a WTC rule, or if I missed something someplace. I am a follow the rules of the sport kind of guy (people I golf with HATE me!)
Quote Reply

Prev Next