Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike flights Question
Quote | Reply
1 Reliable?

2 Anyone ever had to file a claim? Did they pay it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike flights Question [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd check with United Airlines - they'll beat any price or passenger

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
1 Reliable?

Reliable. Yes, although they are just a middle man for Fedex really. They get great rates but you are really still using Fedex. I am not sure how the supplemental insurance works, if it is something thru bikeflights or they just pay to Fedex. Regardless, they don't touch your bike. It is all Fedex.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Bike flights Question [mooseknuckle69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bike flights Question [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does it work? Do you just pack and ship yourself and they just provide a certain fed ex rate? Or do they partner with local shops who pack and ship for you? I guess I don't understand what role bike flights plays.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike flights Question [Hammer Down] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You pack it and they provide much better shipping rates.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike flights Question [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
You pack it and they provide much better shipping rates.
This... if you do it yourself among other things FedEx tacks on a fee of ~$50 to each weigh bill. The claim will be a FedEx claim.

I find them to be reliable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used them once and will be using them again next month.

The first time I used them was for a bike sale. I packed up my bike and took it to FedEx and the price quote was insane (like $250+). The clerk told me about Bike Flights. Went home and did it and shipped the bike for I think $75 one way.

Using them again next month for a quick cycling weekend. It's about half the cost of flying my bike roundtrip.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike flights Question [mooseknuckle69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mooseknuckle69 wrote:

What is UAL's price to ship?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hammer Down wrote:
How does it work? Do you just pack and ship yourself and they just provide a certain fed ex rate? Or do they partner with local shops who pack and ship for you? I guess I don't understand what role bike flights plays.

They basically get a heck of a shipping discount. Much bigger than anyone else is going to get. They might have also negotiated special rates on special size boxes etc with Fedex. You pack it up and you drop it off or have FEDEX pick it up but Bike Flights acts as a middle man.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Bike flights Question [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Hammer Down wrote:

They basically get a heck of a shipping discount. Much bigger than anyone else is going to get. They might have also negotiated special rates on special size boxes etc with Fedex. You pack it up and you drop it off or have FEDEX pick it up but Bike Flights acts as a middle man.

Ditto above. I've also used them several times....get a better rate than my already discounted company rate with FedX. For me, shipping the bike directly to the hotel is much more convenient than lugging a bike case (and luggage) through airports/parking lots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used them to IMMD last fall, and FL 70.3 two weeks ago. I live in Boise, so cross country shipping destinations. Both times I was lucky to get ground for $50-$60 each way and bike shipped on Monday, at hotel Friday by noon. You can save some cash by dropping it at a Fed Ex store or shipping center, which is what I do. Or you can have fed Ex come get it. I use a hard shelled case and have had ZERO issues / damage.

Best part is not having to schlep the beast and your luggage through airports, no TSA screwing up your pack job, no worrying about it not making the flight, luggage delays. no overweight charges. You get a Fed Ex tracking number so you can see where it is along the way.

So simple to use. I will never ever fly with my bike again. Paid less RT than one way on Delta.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike flights Question [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. Haven't heard of them before. I've got my trip for IMSG next week booked with tribiketransport. $350 plus insurance plus a fee for an extra bag (optional), plus a two hour drive (one way) to the only partner shop around. Will definitely consider bike flights in the future, seems like a good option. When you say $50-60 each way, that's everything paid to bike flights? No extra fedex handling fee? Seems like a no brainer.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike flights Question [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Nice. Haven't heard of them before. I've got my trip for IMSG next week booked with tribiketransport. $350 plus insurance plus a fee for an extra bag (optional), plus a two hour drive (one way) to the only partner shop around. Will definitely consider bike flights in the future, seems like a good option. When you say $50-60 each way, that's everything paid to bike flights? No extra fedex handling fee? Seems like a no brainer.

No extras....one fee to bikeflights is it. Book online....print out label to attach to case. Schedule pick up or take to local FedX. Yes, it's a no brainer.
Ps....in fairness, there is also another company with same process.....shipbikes.com. I usually check their rates before I ship......same procedure.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike flights Question [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apache wrote:
mooseknuckle69 wrote:

$150 each way domestic. Beatings are free.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Bike flights Question [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just have to know how to pack and reassemble your bike. Any moron can pack a bike, including myself. I've done it so many times I can do it in 30 minutes (and I'm a 52 year old woman).

honestly, i will never use anything but BF again. one time, United "lost" (meaning it sat somewhere at O'Hare) my bike / luggage for 3 days on my way to IMLP. didn't get it til morning of bike check in = stress level of 10000000. never again. i used to pay a reduced Fed Ex industry discount, but BF is even like 1/2 of that.

you can get optional extended insurance with BF / Fed Ex, and yes, you will pay more for that. i don't bother. BF has some insurance for you, can't remember what the base rate is, but it was sufficient for me.
Last edited by: sto: Apr 25, 17 15:56
Quote Reply
Re: Bike flights Question [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
apache wrote:
mooseknuckle69 wrote:

$150 each way domestic. Beatings are free.

I shipped my GF's MTB for her to the Tucson 24 HOP. It cost $89 each way with BikeFlite (sp). I like the free beatings with UAL. Do you still get peanuts with that?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike flights Question [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used Bike Flights at least 10 times and I have never had damage and you can't beat the price ($40-80 for domestic). Their customer service is awesome too.

I'm an ambassador so you if you want to sign up you can get 20% off your first shipping if you click below.

https://www.bikeflights.com/.../Cecilia_Davis-Hayes

My Website | Facebook | Instagram
Sponsors:
Hospital for Special Surgery | Central Park Track Club | Blue Ribbon Cycling | Colavita Olive Oil | EnduranceWerx | Clif Bar | VeloClassic | BikeFlights.com 20% off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checked this out because heading to Europe this summer and bringing my bike. Seemed really expensive to me for international. ~$300 to England ~$450 back. Anybody have any suggestions for cheap international?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike flights Question [Whitney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't found anything comparable for international travel. I just use the airlines instead and cross my finger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
1 Reliable?

I used them and they were great and when there was damage, they were very responsive. I would use them again.
Quote Reply