Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chances this is just another stunt by the people claiming to be victims?
Quote | Reply
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/04/13/qurans-found-ut-dallas-toilet/

Authorities launched an investigation Thursday after two copies of the Koran were found inside a toilet bowl at a Texas college.
Two students at the University of Texas at Dallas found the copies of the Muslim holy book in the men’s bathroom on March 28 and alerted authorities, according to the school’s student newspaper.

What exactly did they alert them about and why are the police involved?
UT-Dallas Police Chief Larry Zacharias told The Texas Tribune on Thursday that investigators "don't have too many leads” but are conducting video reviews with help from university staff. He said his team may have narrowed the timeframe for the incident down to about a 30-minute period.
“It’s not something we want to blast out on campus because we don’t want people to go, ‘Oh, you’re a suspect in the Quran thing,’” Zacharias said.
Zacharias emphasized the diversity of the student body and said, “There's not much divisiveness on this campus at all.”
During the November elections, when tensions were high, he said he made a point to ask students on campus, particularly Muslim women, if they felt safe. The answer was always yes, he said.
Zacharias said he agrees with comments he’s heard from students, who he said view what happened as a “one-time, stupid incident.”
The president of UT-Dallas' Muslim Students Association condemned the incident in an interview with The Mercury.
“Given the current political climate and how Muslims are portrayed in the media, it makes certain individuals act in this hateful way,” said Mohammad Syed.

You have to be fucking kidding.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Last edited by: Rodred: Apr 14, 17 18:15
Quote Reply
Re: Chances this is just another stunt by the people claiming to be victims? [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:
You have to fucking kidding.

Habla Ingles, por favor?
Quote Reply
Re: Chances this is just another stunt by the people claiming to be victims? [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:

Authorities launched an investigation Thursday after two copies of the Koran were found inside a toilet bowl at a Texas college.
Two students at the University of Texas at Dallas found the copies of the Muslim holy book in the men’s bathroom on March 28 and alerted authorities, according to the school’s student newspaper.

UT-Dallas Police Chief Larry Zacharias told The Texas Tribune on Thursday that investigators "don't have too many leads” but are conducting video reviews with help from university staff. He said his team may have narrowed the timeframe for the incident down to about a 30-minute period.
“It’s not something we want to blast out on campus because we don’t want people to go, ‘Oh, you’re a suspect in the Quran thing,’” Zacharias said.
Zacharias emphasized the diversity of the student body and said, “There's not much divisiveness on this campus at all.”
During the November elections, when tensions were high, he said he made a point to ask students on campus, particularly Muslim women, if they felt safe. The answer was always yes, he said.
Zacharias said he agrees with comments he’s heard from students, who he said view what happened as a “one-time, stupid incident.”
The president of UT-Dallas' Muslim Students Association condemned the incident in an interview with The Mercury.
“Given the current political climate and how Muslims are portrayed in the media, it makes certain individuals act in this hateful way,” said Mohammad Syed.

If you put a Quran in a jar of urine and took a picture of it you might be able to get some public funding. No wait, that was a cross they did that with.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:

"What exactly did they alert them about and why are the police involved?"

I'm not an expert on Sharia Law but I would imagine it's a violation of Sharia Law to flush it in the toilet.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Chances this is just another stunt by the people claiming to be victims? [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
"What exactly did they alert them about and why are the police involved?"

I'm not an expert on Sharia Law but I would imagine it's a violation of Sharia Law to flush it in the toilet.

Sounds like a matter for the Sharia Police, then. Not sure what Dallas PD has to do with a book being flushed.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Chances this is just another stunt by the people claiming to be victims? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30 years later, the meme that keeps on giving....
Quote Reply
Re: Chances this is just another stunt by the people claiming to be victims? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
30 years later, the meme that keeps on giving....

And your point is what? Do you think that this is something that should be investigated by police? Is this even a criminal act? And, it's not a meme; Piss Christ was considered "art" by some in this country.

Quote | Reply
But, but, but - Piss Christ! I didn't bring it up. It has little/nothing to do with the OP, especially a generation removed. My point is that the reference is pointless.
Quote Reply
Re: Chances this is just another stunt by the people claiming to be victims? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
But, but, but - Piss Christ! I didn't bring it up. It has little/nothing to do with the OP, especially a generation removed. My point is that the reference is pointless.

Seriously? It has everything to do with it. It's ok in this country to denigrate anything related to Christianity, to include submerging one of the most important symbols of that faith in urine, but now it's a potentially criminal act to put the Koran into the toilet? Can you not understand why people would question the logic of involving the police in this, given that history?

And, just for grins, it seems to me that anytime somebody goes "but, but..." they just want to avoid looking like hypocrites for not giving a shit about something before, but saying that it's wrong now.

Quote | Reply
Context is everything.

It may have been intended as a means of intimidating someone, in which case, it may warrant investigation. I don't think it's illegal for me to burn a cross on my front yard, but if it's perceived as a threat to the interracial couple living a stone's throw away, it may rise to that level.

Piss Christ was intended as provocative art, as were the Prophet Mohammed cartoons that generate so much controversy. Neither, to my knowledge, were in violation of law.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Chances this is just another stunt by the people claiming to be victims? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Context is everything.

It may have been intended as a means of intimidating someone, in which case, it may warrant investigation. I don't think it's illegal for me to burn a cross on my front yard, but if it's perceived as a threat to the interracial couple living a stone's throw away, it may rise to that level.

Piss Christ was intended as provocative art, as were the Prophet Mohammed cartoons that generate so much controversy. Neither, to my knowledge, were in violation of law.

Sort of agree, but I highly doubt that if somebody found the Bible in the toilet that it would be national news, nor do I think that the cops would be called, even if someone thought it was a case of intimidation. The ONLY reason that is news is because it's the Koran.

Quote | Reply
Maybe someone was using the koran as a diary and things got out of hand. I wonder if there is a chamber of secrets somewhere near that bathroom.
Quote Reply
Re: Chances this is just another stunt by the people claiming to be victims? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your gripe over a singular event that happened a generation ago is duly noted. You may think that it applies, but you are simply joining the "grievance-go-round", and you can take solace in becoming that which you abhor. Outrage has no expiration date, this one will easily last another 30 years, snowflake.

BTW, sphere is right, context is everything, and I have found cartoons about Islam to be provocative, but fully within the bounds of nonthreatening speech.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Apr 15, 17 16:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Your gripe over a singular event that happened a generation ago is duly noted. You may think that it applies, but you are simply joining the "grievance-go-round", and you can take solace in becoming that which you abhor. Outrage has no expiration date, this one will easily last another 30 years, snowflake.

BTW, sphere is right, context is everything, and I have found cartoons about Islam to be provocative, but fully within the bounds of nonthreatening speech.

I'm not griping over anything. You are trying to justify denigration of one religion while decrying it over another. You have absolutely NO IDEA why the Koran was tossed in the toilet, but to you it's wrong. If it was a bible, you wouldn't give two shits, and you know it; it would merely be somebody's first amendment rights to do so.

As to me with outrage and becoming that which I abhor...nice try at the two cent psychology, but you don't know me and you have no idea what actually outrages me. Simply comparing two events doesn't mean I'm outraged. Pretty sure I never said that Piss Christ outraged me.

As to the snowflake comment...I guess the hypocrite charge stung, huh? Go look in the mirror, snowflake.