Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boston with a MT stress fx/reaction?
Quote | Reply
In brief, I've been getting ready for Boston like many others. Out of ignorance, I've run too many miles in the past few weeks and haven't taken the "taper" seriously. I've had some top of foot pain for about a week, but it became significant on Monday. I ran until Wednesday, at which point it became very painful during the run and most of the day. An MRI yesterday showed a 2nd metatarsal stress reaction, but not an outright "fracture." I've sunk a ton of money into Boston already, none of which is refundable. I have significant pain even when walking today, but I'm considering staying off the foot for the next two days, icing it aggressively, and trying to start the race on Monday.

I know this is stupid, but I'm a trail guy so the idea of qualifying and training for this race again isn't appealing. Also, the costs ($1500+) are sunk and a recent family tragedy would make a Boston finish very meaningful.

I feel like a slow shuffle/limp/death march would be more disrespectful to the race than a DNS. Any thoughts?
Last edited by: SkiMKE: Apr 14, 17 15:12
Quote Reply
Re: Boston with a MT stress fx/reaction? [SkiMKE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thoughts?

best case its going to hurt for a few hours, deal with it

worst case it straight up breaks during the race and will hurt a lot for a short amount of time

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't taper seriously. You say you know this is stupid. You're going to race.

Let us know how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston with a MT stress fx/reaction? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let us know how the Sam Adams 26.2 tastes. :toast:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SkiMKE wrote:
In brief, I've been getting ready for Boston like many others. Out of ignorance, I've run too many miles in the past few weeks and haven't taken the "taper" seriously. I've had some top of foot pain for about a week, but it became significant on Monday. I ran until Wednesday, at which point it became very painful during the run and most of the day. An MRI yesterday showed a 2nd metatarsal stress reaction, but not an outright "fracture." I've sunk a ton of money into Boston already, none of which is refundable. I have significant pain even when walking today, but I'm considering staying off the foot for the next two days, icing it aggressively, and trying to start the race on Monday.

I know this is stupid, but I'm a trail guy so the idea of qualifying and training for this race again isn't appealing. Also, the costs ($1500+) are sunk and a recent family tragedy would make a Boston finish very meaningful.

I feel like a slow shuffle/limp/death march would be more disrespectful to the race than a DNS. Any thoughts?

Thoughts? I’d bag it. "Significant pain even when walking"? Do you really want to risk being off for three months or longer? Long term injury-related issues? I say take the long view. Live and learn. Qualify in another year or two or five and do a proper taper. But it sounds like you plan to race regardless, so good luck, I guess. Yes, I know it’s *Boston*, but still, your long term health seems more important than any one race, even *Boston*.

And I don't understand the concept of disrespect to the race. But perhaps a 6 or 7 hour death march is more so than not starting, I don't know.

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My concern is that it hurts to walk, that most likely means the run is going to be very painful. Ice won't help heal a stress reaction faster. Why risk doing some real damage and have problems for possibly years. The Dr that ordered the MRI, what was their guidance?
Quote Reply
Re: Boston with a MT stress fx/reaction? [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the thoughts so far, folks. As I lay here in bed hours away from our would-be departure time, it's looking like a no-go. I just learned that our hotel costs are refundable... I'd save $1500 by cancelling and only be out the race fee.

I've run through many injuries in the past, but this is one is really painful... walking to the bathroom to take a leak just now was difficult.

Oddly enough, the pain seems to lessen slightly after I walk on it for a bit... but I know that running will anger it and the adrenaline will wear off pretty quickly. Nobody ordered the MRI - let's just say I'm fortunate enough to have access to such things, and the ability to interpret them. This race means a lot to me, but the risk:reward ratio seems very unfavorable in the big picture now that I'd only be out the race fee... running is very important to me. The new worst case scenario is that I decide to go, eat the $1500, and my metatarsal fails spectacularly in the middle of the race to a degree that requires surgical repair... I've now paid $1500 for a 6 month layoff from running and a chance of never getting back to my former level again. As much as it hurts (literally), the right choice is becoming clear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tons of respect for you!!! Sounds like you are making the right decision, which can be very hard when you are emotionally attached to achieving a goal. Rest up, let your body heal and know that this is just one race which will be run every year for a very long time and plenty of opportunity for you to race it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not so fast, MadisonMan... stupidity prevails. We are on the road to Boston right now. For a number of reasons, I just need to know if I can get it done.

With the warm weather, I probably wouldn't have come near my goal time even if healthy. I need to take a prolonged break from running after this no matter what, but I will have an easier time doing that if 1.) I at least gave it a shot, and/or 2.) the damn thing breaks, in which case I won't have a choice.

While I agree that the race will be there for years to come, recent life events have reminded me that "next year" is promised to no one - or even tomorrow, for that matter.

And if I stand at the start line Monday morning knowing I can't do it, then hopefully we can make lemonade from the lemons and call it a fun (albeit $$$) weekend trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update v2.0

Got halfway to Boston, about 4 hours on the road, before I had the courage to pull the plug. Called the hotel to cancel, so I've removed the element of choice. I'm deeply disappointed, but I've got a history of foot stress fractures and I need to start learning from these setbacks rather than potentially wrecking myself. It will be hard to watch the race on Monday, but at least we've got a few more bucks in our pocket and I feel like I'm treating my body with respect. And if I'm going to break this thing, I'd rather do it playing with my daughter and dog - blessed to have a beautiful family to take my mind off of the disappointment.

Thanks again, friends - be kind to yourselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cushy shoe, smile, run in a way it hurts less it's Boston I've seen much worse i the case of idiots on crutches/boots and more who have to start ! Your on the low end. Than after no running for 4-6 weeks and heel
Quote Reply
Re: Boston with a MT stress fx/reaction? [beaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beaker wrote:
Cushy shoe, smile, run in a way it hurts less it's Boston I've seen much worse i the case of idiots on crutches/boots and more who have to start ! Your on the low end. Than after no running for 4-6 weeks and heel

You've seen much worse, eh? Well, I'm not as tough as those folks I guess. In all seriousness, I now have to live with the decision to DNS... I'll never know if I could have made it through, but I do know that one day (God willing) I'll be back to Boston - healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart! If your still going take it all in,rest up a few weeks than requalify. The majority of us are not smart. It's refreshing to see you may DNS, as opposed to .. screw it, I'll heal later!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once again....Smart Decision. If you are even questioning it, you are making the right decision. Heal up, re-qualify and see you there in 2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
Once again....Smart Decision. If you are even questioning it, you are making the right decision. Heal up, re-qualify and see you there in 2018

Thanks MadisonMan. Are you actually in Madison, WI? Looks like I may be moving there this summer, so I'll be looking to plug into the local running scene.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes...live in Madison. You will love it here. Great places to run, ride and swim
Quote Reply