Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DSW 480D vs. 483D?
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know the difference? It's not explained clearly on the website. From what I can tell, the 483D is a tad larger and has a brown rubber bottom (though the 480D also says the bottom is rubber). Has anyone attached to the top tube via industrial velcro?

Just bought the Torhans aero bento and found that it is not functional. Either going with DSW or will just put salt pills and bars in my back pocket.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: DSW 480D vs. 483D? [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"dark speed works is on here and usually responds to these. If he misses it you could PM him.

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
Does anybody know the difference? It's not explained clearly on the website. From what I can tell, the 483D is a tad larger and has a brown rubber bottom (though the 480D also says the bottom is rubber). Has anyone attached to the top tube via industrial velcro?

Just bought the Torhans aero bento and found that it is not functional. Either going with DSW or will just put salt pills and
bars in my back pocket.

The DSW site pretty much spells it out. The 483 is intended for superbikes and ultralow stems so that the front of the bag tapers down. The 480 is intended to be used behind a standard steerer/stem combo that sticks up above the toptube and the front of the bag is shaped to fill in behind this area.

The model numbers are cc volume, but the shape of the 483 may work out a little longer. I've seen a photo posted where the 483 perfectly fits a HammerGel 6 gel flask. I have the 483 and it works well for this. Not sure if the 480 does this as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
Has anyone attached to the top tube via industrial velcro?

I have attached a 483 with a few velcro patches (believe non-industrial). Rock solid, didn't move once and the bento is super easy to use on the go. It's a quality piece of kit.

I can't remember whether the thing actually came with velcro patches or whether I bought them myself.

Are you looking at the 480/483 or 480D/483D? Wouldn't think you need any velcro, if you have top tube bosses (I don't).
Last edited by: Hoffmeister: Apr 15, 17 2:19
Quote Reply
Re: DSW 480D vs. 483D? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
RudeDude wrote:

Just bought the Torhans aero bento and found that it is not functional. Either going with DSW or will just put salt pills and
bars in my back pocket.

The DSW site pretty much spells it out. The 483 is intended for superbikes and ultralow stems so that the front of the bag tapers down. The 480 is intended to be used behind a standard steerer/stem combo that sticks up above the toptube and the front of the bag is shaped to fill in behind this area.

The model numbers are cc volume, but the shape of the 483 may work out a little longer. I've seen a photo posted where the 483 perfectly fits a HammerGel 6 gel flask. I have the 483 and it works well for this. Not sure if the 480 does this as well.

The confusion is that both descriptions are almost identical and list the same bikes (both say P5, new P2/P3, and SC). Thanks for info re the area behind the steerer/stem.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
Does anybody know the difference? It's not explained clearly on the website. From what I can tell, the 483D is a tad larger and has a brown rubber bottom (though the 480D also says the bottom is rubber). Has anyone attached to the top tube via industrial velcro? Just bought the Torhans aero bento and found that it is not functional. Either going with DSW or will just put salt pills and bars in my back pocket.

Thanks for the feedback, soon we are going to post a kind of flow chart to help riders figure out which Speedpack might be best for them. The colors of all of our packs are actually identical, the 'brown' is just an artifact of the photo lighting.

To get to your question, what kind of bike do you have? If it helps, both the 480D and 483D will fit on most tri bikes (and others) with top tube storage bosses. The main difference between the 480D and 483D is the shape and capacity. The 480D has a mostly flat front which is designed to mount flush against the back of a standard stem (or, in the case of most P5s, the Aduro stem/aerobar). But the Speedpack 483D is a bit longer, a bit narrower, has more capacity, and most important has a fully shaped aero front, so it can sit further back on the top tube with minimal aero penalty.

Since a lot bikes either run quite low stems, and/or have unusually shaped advanced stems, and/or have top tube entry cabling behind that stem, we usually recommend the 483D as the most aero storage solution for most advanced triathlon bikes (and it's what we use on our n.P3s). Hope this info helps, but please don't hesitate to post again if you have any additional questions.

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: DSW 480D vs. 483D? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I have a BMC TM02 and unfortunately, they put the top tube bosses further back near the seat. What I plan to do is use industrial velcro and maybe also drill a hole in the back of the bento to use with the boss closest to the stem, if the bento is long enough.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at some images of the new TM02, I see what you are saying. For sure, with that mounting location and with the cables behind the stem, I think you should veer toward the SP 483D, as it is exactly designed for that kind of top tube mounting location.

You can get it, mount it, and test it out in the existing position. See if that works for you on your TM02. But if you want to customize right off the bat, send me an email (info is on our ST profile page and website) with some dimensions and maybe image of where all of your existing top tube bolts are (I can only see the two storage bosses on online photos of the new TM02), and perhaps I can offer you some suggestions to get this more set up to your liking.

Greg

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: DSW 480D vs. 483D? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Much appreciated Gary!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
Much appreciated Greg!

No worries, glad to help !

--
Quote Reply