Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pew Research: 39% of Christians take bible literally. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
One question. During the global flood, did god kill all the ducks or did all the ducks survive?
I really wonder since ducks are floating and cannot drown.

They could starve though...

Well, that and...people float, but can drown. Not sure what makes him think a duck can't drown.

not a monty python fan?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Pew Research: 39% of Christians take bible literally. [Double-Double] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Double-Double wrote:
" While about four-in-ten Christians (39%) say the Bible’s text is the word of God and should be taken literally...."

A concerning statistic.

http://www.pewresearch.org/...her-religious-texts/

A guy surviving for days after being swallowed by a whale? Putting two of every animal on a wooden boat? Yeah, that could really have happened. These people must have voted for Trump.
Quote Reply
Re: Pew Research: 39% of Christians take bible literally. [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
no they dont. some, take PARTS of the bible literally. even among believers there is wideapread disagreement on which parts are supposedto be taken literally.

You realize you just defended Christianity?

no, i didnt. i pointed out that most christians are ,thankfully, not absolute literalists.

I'm putting that in the defended category.

isis are not terroists. careful, if you disagree then everyone will know you defended isis.

Um ISIS are terrorists ...
Quote Reply
Re: Pew Research: 39% of Christians take bible literally. [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
One question. During the global flood, did god kill all the ducks or did all the ducks survive?

That is right. Since the water covered all land it must have been above Mt. Everest. What is called the death zone. Maybe the ducks died of that.

Of course we know that the story about a global flood is nothing but a common story from the middle east.
Same with being born from a virgin.
Looking back, being born from a virgin was quite common. Wonder why things like that stopped.
Quote Reply
Re: Pew Research: 39% of Christians take bible literally. [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

That is right. Since the water covered all land it must have been above Mt. Everest. What is called the death zone. Maybe the ducks died of that.

Of course we know that the story about a global flood is nothing but a common story from the middle east.
Looking back, being born from a virgin was quite common. Wonder why things like that stopped.

LOL!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Pew Research: 39% of Christians take bible literally. [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Actually its a world wide "story".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flood_myths

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Pew Research: 39% of Christians take bible literally. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
no they dont. some, take PARTS of the bible literally. even among believers there is wideapread disagreement on which parts are supposedto be taken literally.

no, i didnt. i pointed out that most christians are ,thankfully, not absolute literalists.

isis are not terroists. careful, if you disagree then everyone will know you defended isis.

OH NOES YOU JUST DEFENDED ISIS!!!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Virgin conception never stopped. Apart from the issue of immaculate conception, sperm are noted swimmers.
Quote Reply
Re: Pew Research: 39% of Christians take bible literally. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
" A separate 18% of Christians view the Bible as a book written by men, not God."

Only 18%...!

And the balance?

I guess the rest think it was written by God in one way or another. I thought it was a matter of historical fact that it was written by men. But I guess anyone can believe anything. The most UFOs are spotted in California.
Quote Reply
Re: Pew Research: 39% of Christians take bible literally. [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:

youve lost me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Well, that and...people float, but can drown. Not sure what makes him think a duck can't drown.

not a monty python fan?

Sorry, didn't make the connection. Probably because Grail doesn't mention ducks not being able to drown.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Pew Research: 39% of Christians take bible literally. [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Halvard wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Virgin conception never stopped. Apart from the issue of immaculate conception, sperm are noted swimmers.

Point of clarification - immaculate conception does not refer to Mary's conception of Jesus, it refers to Mary's conception by her own parents, via normal biological means, and then she was made immaculate so as to be worthy of being Jesus' mother. https://en.wikipedia.org/...mmaculate_Conception
Quote Reply
Re: Pew Research: 39% of Christians take bible literally. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
veganerd wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

not a monty python fan?

Sorry, didn't make the connection. Probably because Grail doesn't mention ducks not being able to drown.

anytime someone mentions ducks and floating, i assume its a reference.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:

youve lost me

you "defended" isis the same way you said i "defended" christianity. of course, neither of us defended either group.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:

youve lost me

you "defended" isis the same way you said i "defended" christianity. of course, neither of us defended either group.

Yeah still not following your logic but whatever
Quote Reply
Re: Pew Research: 39% of Christians take bible literally. [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's historical fact that the words were written by men.

Some people believe that God told them, word for word, what to write down.

Others believe that the words were inspired by God working in their life and that it's God's message.

These are the two main Biblicalliteralist camps, in a nutshell. The belief comes from a verse about "all Scripture that is inspired," which I believe is in the book of 1st Timothy if I remember correctly. Of course, however, "Scripture" in that day meant something quite different than the 66 Protestant or 73 Catholic "books" of the modern Bible, much less the exclusion of non-Canonical works that were read by some in the early church. And it also doesn't take into account the fact that we literally don't have a single original manuscript of anything that's known as the New Testament today & early transcription methodologies were dubious at best, downright dishonest at worst. If it is "literal" we don't have any way to say that what's read today is the "literal word of God," not to mention the fact that the Gospel of John doesn't refer to the "Word" as something written, rather something that gave voice and meaning to life.

More open Christians instead take the inspired by God to generally mean a collection of written expressions to attempt to put words and voice to the very human exploration of what it means to be human and find an encounter with something divine that defies explanation and gives a meaning to this existence, not as God telling people what to write. Instead it's an invitation into the conversation of what it is to be human, not the why behind our humanity and an explanation of what we must do & believe.

Kay Serrar wrote:
windywave wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
" A separate 18% of Christians view the Bible as a book written by men, not God."

Only 18%...!

And the balance?

I guess the rest think it was written by God in one way or another. I thought it was a matter of historical fact that it was written by men. But I guess anyone can believe anything. The most UFOs are spotted in California.
Last edited by: MidwestRoadie: Apr 14, 17 17:55
Quote Reply
Re: Pew Research: 39% of Christians take bible literally. [Double-Double] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Double-Double wrote:
" While about four-in-ten Christians (39%) say the Bible’s text is the word of God and should be taken literally...."

A concerning statistic.

http://www.pewresearch.org/...her-religious-texts/

Seems high given that it's roughly similar to those that even go to church on a regular basis.
Quote Reply
Re: Pew Research: 39% of Christians take bible literally. [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Are you worried about being stoned?

Is it the 2.5 nanograms he's worried about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Or clit manglers.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply

Prev Next