Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Fate of the Furious
Quote | Reply
Well, eight movies in, and somehow this franchise just keeps plugging on with basically the same formula, basically the same style, basically the same cast, and yet it continues to bring in audiences. Fate of the Furious is exactly what you expect from the franchise with big actions scenes, big car chases, bad guy trying to take over the world, etc. And just like the rest of the movies, it's largely successful in delivering on those expectations.

Fate of the Furious twists things a little by having Vin Diesel's character work against his regular team, having been essentially forced to do so by the main villain played by Charlize Theron. This results in all the main characters coming together for over the top action and explosions. Suspension of disbelief is a must for the movie, but what else is new? The action is good, the explosions are big, and there are plenty of ruined vehicles and buildings by the end.

If you've seen the other movies, you already know what to expect. If you haven't, I guess you won't really miss out on anything by jumping in at this point.

All the main cast returns from the past three or four movies, including the baseline people plus Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, and Kurt Russel. This time, instead of a giant airplane, they have a giant submarine.

Good mindless theater fun.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Fate of the Furious [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked my 15 year old daughter if she wanted to go to see a movie with me tonight. She wants to go see this. I've seen them all and just watched the trailer. The scene where the rock shoves a torpedo while sliding across the ice looks pretty bad...bad as in bad...not good! Well pretty unbelievable anyway just like most of the other action scenes. I'm sure I'll enjoy it though, at least my daughter wants to hang out with dad.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Fate of the Furious [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
I asked my 15 year old daughter if she wanted to go to see a movie with me tonight. She wants to go see this. I've seen them all and just watched the trailer. The scene where the rock shoves a torpedo while sliding across the ice looks pretty bad...bad as in bad...not good! Well pretty unbelievable anyway just like most of the other action scenes. I'm sure I'll enjoy it though, at least my daughter wants to hang out with dad.

It is a F&F movie, you expect it to be believable? Have you not see the first 7 movies? In 7 Diesel drives off a cliff on Monarch Pass, and walks away (as does his passenger) without a scratch. That's one of the things people love about F&F movies, Slowguy nailed it, good mindless fun.

My son and I are hitting it this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Fate of the Furious [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
The scene where the rock shoves a torpedo while sliding across the ice looks pretty bad...bad as in bad...not good! Well pretty unbelievable anyway just like most of the other action scenes.

And being chased by a surfaced sub plowing through ice gets a pass?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Well, eight movies in, and somehow this franchise just keeps plugging on with basically the same formula, basically the same style, basically the same cast, and yet it continues to bring in audiences.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was there a bunch of ricers parked out front like back in the day?

Danger to manifold!
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Fate of the Furious [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've learned how to ignore and suspend belief in most movies. That being said the endless run way in #6 really got to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Fate of the Furious [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The release of a new F&F movie meant a father/son movie day for me and the boy (who's now a young man - dammit why do they grow up so fast?!)

Asked him yesterday if he wanted to go and see it (I dont) and he said, nope, looks like shit.
One step too far, even for a F&F movie
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Fate of the Furious [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took my son to see it today after reading this thread. Yep, fun and mindless. Suspend your disbelief at the entrance of the theater. Charlie Theron remains hot.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Fate of the Furious [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
Took my son to see it today after reading this thread. Yep, fun and mindless. Suspend your disbelief at the entrance of the theater. Charlie Theron remains hot.

Agreed. I saw it with my 16 year old son. Lot's of smashed cars (as expected). Good, mindless fun.

What irked me most was the 20 minutes of previews.
Quote Reply