Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon Training in Florida, Tampa and Clermont (in November)
Quote | Reply
Hi guys
I'm thinking about travelling to Florida in november, and stay one week in Tampa and one week in Clermont.

I would really appreciate if I could get any recommendations about whether this is a good idea or what you'd say about such plans and about those two cities.

What's important to me:

Road bike: very important. nice roads. nice views. not too much traffic. some hills and some flats.
Swimming: pretty important. Love outdoor pools, olympic size would be great, 25m are ok too.
Running: not that important. But if there were some nice trails I wouldn't mind.

Thanks for everything, it's very much appreciated.
:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Training in Florida, Tampa and Clermont (in November) [cakewhatcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cakewhatcake wrote:
Hi guys
I'm thinking about travelling to Florida in november, and stay one week in Tampa and one week in Clermont.

I would really appreciate if I could get any recommendations about whether this is a good idea or what you'd say about such plans and about those two cities.

What's important to me:

Road bike: very important. nice roads. nice views. not too much traffic. some hills and some flats.
Swimming: pretty important. Love outdoor pools, olympic size would be great, 25m are ok too.
Running: not that important. But if there were some nice trails I wouldn't mind.

Thanks for everything, it's very much appreciated.
:-)

Haven't trained in Tampa but Clermont is very nice w: Clean lakes, NTC pools, lot of climbing (for Florida). Lots of trails both paved, clay, and gravel to choose from.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Training in Florida, Tampa and Clermont (in November) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you! I already read a lot about Clermont, so I'm especially curious about the "qualities" of Tampa.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Training in Florida, Tampa and Clermont (in November) [cakewhatcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Tampa but have been to several training camps in Clermont and know the roads over there as well as I do here.

Time your trip to Clermont to include the Horrible Hundred ride on Nov 19, 2017. This is a really big event and there are 35 and 70 mile options if you are so inclined. Don't miss this ride! Watch for an off road half-marathon in Lake Louise State Park just south of Clermont, typically the day before the Horrible 100. The pool at the NTC is outdoors, of course, and 50m but is sometimes set up for SCY (I don't know their schedule for LCM).

For Tampa, you can ride the Suncoast Trail ... pancake flat at the bottom but rolling from Springhill north. From the new trailhead on Lutz Lake Fern road it is about 43 miles to the top of the trail, and it goes several miles south from the trailhead as well. You can also add a spur that goes into Starkey Park (you'll see that trail into the woods as you are heading north. Better yet, is to take that road bike and hit the roads around St Leo, just north of Tampa. These are every bit as good at Clermont and less traffic to boot. The Hilly Hundred which starts in Brooksville covers many of these roads and is typically the first Saturday in Dec. Roadies and triathletes pull out of the ball field parking lot in St Leo from 7:30-8am on most Saturdays and Sundays. You can also bike endless 7 mile loops in Flatwoods Park ... this is where the women's one year cycling distance record was just broken.

In between Tampa and Clermont are the Wilderness Trail (flat) and Van Fleet Trail (flat). These are both North-South trails and cover many many miles. I think the Wilderness Trail is more scenic, but the Van Fleet is best for getting in the aero bars and staying there for - very - long - stretches.

I swim outdoors year round in temperature controlled pools. Bobby Hicks across the street from Robinson H.S. in South Tampa is set up for long course in the mornings. Bring a wetsuit and you can swim OWS at Clearwater Beach. If for some reason a cold front has come through, Loretta Ingraham Public Pool (outdoors) is always warm (84) because it is only 4 lanes (25 SCY)...and I've never seen it full. It is a hidden winter gem in a poor neighborhood. If you are in the Tampa area for Thanksgiving, then be sure to do the Turkey Trot in Clearwater (5K and 10K)...this is a HUGE event.

I would say the real difference between Clermont and Tampa is that the former's best training locations are more compact than Tampa; but Tampa has a lot more to offer when you aren't training in terms of shopping, nightlife, dining out, etc.
Quote Reply