Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smartphones on the bike ?
Quote | Reply
so, i thought i recently read on ST a thread that smartphones were going to be allowed on the bike. is this correct ? is this for GPS or other metric tracking purposes, and/or this the beginning of allowing music ? and if that is the case, would that presume that iPods would be allowed on the run (or on the bike, for that matter ?

any inputs t this for clarification of my curiosity would be nice. thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Smartphones on the bike ? [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adablduya1 wrote:
so, i thought i recently read on ST a thread that smartphones were going to be allowed on the bike. is this correct ? is this for GPS or other metric tracking purposes, and/or this the beginning of allowing music ? and if that is the case, would that presume that iPods would be allowed on the run (or on the bike, for that matter ?

any inputs t this for clarification of my curiosity would be nice. thanks.

I read they cannot be on the bike, like being used as a computer in the front. They can be carried, like in your kit bag in the back or in your pocket

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been debating having my iphone in my bag on the bike to allow my family to see my location....anytime I ride outside I always share my location constantly with my fiance so she knows if something happens where I am.

“The answer is hard work. What are you doing on Christmas Eve? Are you riding your bike? January 1st – are you riding your bike?”- Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless something changed from last year, phones were allowed on the bike, as long as it was being used as your bike computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the rationale behind not allowing a phone as a bike computer?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Smartphones on the bike ? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Selfies, texting, music, etc. Never underestimate human stupidity.
Quote Reply
Re: Smartphones on the bike ? [Dillon152] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dillon152 wrote:
Unless something changed from last year, phones were allowed on the bike, as long as it was being used as your bike computer.

That is not what has been posted, when I copied on the last thread asking this question. You cannot have a phone on your handle bars.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I can tell, you can have your cell phone physically with you, you just can't look at it, ever:

2.01 L) Each athlete must: Not use any device that will distract the athlete from paying full attention to their surroundings. Using a device in a distracting manner will result in disqualification.

5.02 C) Illegal Equipment (bike)

(ii) Cameras, phone cameras, and video cameras are prohibited unless permission is given by IRONMAN. If permission is given by IRONMAN, it is the athlete’s responsibility to notify the Head Referee of such permission prior to the start of the Race. Athletes seen with a camera, phone camera, or video camera will be disqualified;

(iii) Athletes may not use communication devices of any type, including but not limited to cell phones, smart watches, and two-way radios, in any distractive manner during the Race. A "distractive manner" includes but is not limited to making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, taking photographs, and mounting the device to a bike for purposes of using the device like a bike computer. Using a communication device in a distractive manner during the Race will result in disqualification;

6.02 ILLEGAL EQUIPMENT (Run)

(a) Headsets or headphones are prohibited during the run segment of the Race. (1:00 Minute Penalty, DSQ if not remedied promptly)

(b) Athletes may not use communication devices of any type, including but not limited to cell phones, smart watches, and two-way radios, in any distractive manner during the Race. A "distractive manner" includes but is not limited to making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, and taking photographs. Using a communication device in a distractive manner during the Race will result in disqualification; and

(c) Cameras, phone cameras, and video cameras are prohibited unless permission is given by IRONMAN. If such permission is given by IRONMAN, it is the athlete’s responsibility to notify the Head Referee of such permission prior to the start of the Race. Athletes seen with an unauthorized camera, phone camera, or video camera will be disqualified.
Quote Reply
Re: Smartphones on the bike ? [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
As far as I can tell, you can have your cell phone physically with you, you just can't look at it, ever:

2.01 L) Each athlete must: Not use any device that will distract the athlete from paying full attention to their surroundings. Using a device in a distracting manner will result in disqualification.

5.02 C) Illegal Equipment (bike)

(ii) Cameras, phone cameras, and video cameras are prohibited unless permission is given by IRONMAN. If permission is given by IRONMAN, it is the athlete’s responsibility to notify the Head Referee of such permission prior to the start of the Race. Athletes seen with a camera, phone camera, or video camera will be disqualified;

(iii) Athletes may not use communication devices of any type, including but not limited to cell phones, smart watches, and two-way radios, in any distractive manner during the Race. A "distractive manner" includes but is not limited to making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, taking photographs, and mounting the device to a bike for purposes of using the device like a bike computer. Using a communication device in a distractive manner during the Race will result in disqualification;

6.02 ILLEGAL EQUIPMENT (Run)

(a) Headsets or headphones are prohibited during the run segment of the Race. (1:00 Minute Penalty, DSQ if not remedied promptly)

(b) Athletes may not use communication devices of any type, including but not limited to cell phones, smart watches, and two-way radios, in any distractive manner during the Race. A "distractive manner" includes but is not limited to making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, and taking photographs. Using a communication device in a distractive manner during the Race will result in disqualification; and

(c) Cameras, phone cameras, and video cameras are prohibited unless permission is given by IRONMAN. If such permission is given by IRONMAN, it is the athlete’s responsibility to notify the Head Referee of such permission prior to the start of the Race. Athletes seen with an unauthorized camera, phone camera, or video camera will be disqualified.

Yep, again

Quote Reply