Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling Jacksonville fl
Quote | Reply
Hi out there
I hope somebody Can help.
I am from Denmark and have the oportunity to spend the next week in Jacksonville fl staying at cabanaclub baymeadows Road.
I have planned to spend the week doing some biketraining for the comming tri season and can see that the best routes goes along the coast (ponte vedra etc)

Can anyone help to find the roules for riding bike on American roads and does anyone know the shortest route from baymeadows regional park to the coast?

Have a nice day
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Jacksonville fl [lennart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a few miles to the east, but A1A from Ponte Vedra Beach to St. Augustine is nice, but can be windy. It has wide shoulders, so pretty safe. If you're looking for some group rides, google North Florida Bicycle Club. There's also a fast group ride from the corner of Corona and Ponte Vedra Boulevard at 8am on Saturday mornings. 40ish miles at 23-25. More toward the faster end now that winter is over.

Finally, give the folks at Open Road Bicycles a call. They should be able to help you find rides.

Have a great time!
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Apr 14, 17 12:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second what Fat and Slow said. I live in Ponte Vedra. Parking can be a challenge -- I would look to park at Mickler's landing or in South Jacksonville Beach. You can ride all the way down to St. Augustine on A1A and/or veer towards Nocatee which is slightly to the West and has some good bike lanes with light traffic roads. You can also park at the Publix in Nocatee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option is the Baldwin Rail Trail. It's out in the northwest area of the city. It's about 14 miles long, one way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...e-Baldwin_Rail_Trail
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive got some longer routes mapped out that go south along/around the river. How many mikes are you looking to do?

Great Saturday group ride at the Lodge in PV. Or do the "double" and hit two saturday group rides.

Also - my favorite place to park at the beach is the tennis court on 17th S. get there early (7-8am) and plenty of parking and easy to cruise down PV blvd. micklers is just a longer drive in the car when you could be biking.

There is constuction on A1A south of Micklers (rumble strip removal) but its pretty far down. You can still get some good miles going down and back - jist depends on how far.

Baldwin trail - couldnt pay me to ride on that. I find no value to it. Crowded. Short-ish. Death pot holes that get hidden in the tree shade cover. Nah not for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lennart wrote:
Hi out there
I hope somebody Can help.
I am from Denmark and have the oportunity to spend the next week in Jacksonville fl staying at cabanaclub baymeadows Road.
I have planned to spend the week doing some biketraining for the comming tri season and can see that the best routes goes along the coast (ponte vedra etc)

Can anyone help to find the roules for riding bike on American roads and does anyone know the shortest route from baymeadows regional park to the coast?

Have a nice day

Regarding "roules":

Don't wear a helmet if you want to alienate all other cyclists.
Don't signal turns and make sure you show that you own the road (just like at home).
Beware of big cars with old ladies driving or soccer-moms in minivans.

Only half kidding...Just ride with common sense and follow common traffic rules which are very similar to those of Europe.

One more thing:
Turning right on a Red light is allowed after coming to sort of a stop, so be prepared for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Jacksonville fl [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for yr great advice.

Windchatten: I've shaved my head, keep the blindfold from the flight and some high volume heavy metal in the ears so Im totally safe and untouchable.

Janags7: I'm planning on doing some good 50-60 miles trips. Was actually some warm up/cool Down back and forth to the beach. Major concern to the common sence issue. Is it safe / common sence to ride on the 202, J Turner Butler Blvd to ponte vedra?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are NOT allowed to ride on JTB 202. It is a limited access highway.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Jacksonville fl [rsbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Jacksonville fl [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its been over a year since I've been on the Baldwin Trail. I probably should have added that caveat. I'm also an early riser, so I never fought too much traffic on the times I've been on it. However, I do seem to recall the parking lots beginning to crowd when I leave.

I am unfamiliar with the Ponte Vedra ride, partly because as a (native, born and bred) Floridian, I do not trust Florida drivers. For example, today alone, in a 25 mile span, I had one lady lay on the horn for an extended amount of time presumably to let me know "she was coming up behind me." A second person did something similar, yet not as egregious. A third person, when meeting me at a four way stop, decided not to make the left hand turn their blinker indicated they were looking to make. A fourth, an elderly person, decided not to abide the 3 foot rule when passing. Bottom line, don't trust that Florida drivers will look out for you or treat you with respect. Many do not take care when cyclist are around them.

Don't let this dissuade you from riding though!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Jacksonville fl [TriLawGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ponte Vedra is a popular cycling spot. In the morning there are many more bikes on the road than cars. It's pretty safe as far as cycling on the road goes.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So really if I'm at the Cabana I'm probably driving out to the beach. However there are rides/routes that can get you there - just not that common. I'd go north thru Gate Parkway to Town Center thru UNF (Eco Rd up to the N Entrance Rd) to get up to Beach Blvd. Beach will have a bike lane (I ride it to/from the beach when I have to). That will get you to the beach. Once there you can cruise down 1st Street to Ponte Vedra Blvd (which takes you to Mickler). Once you're there you can hit A1A or go over the 210 bridge into Nocatee.

If you can get a car - you can also take Baymeadows to the river (there is a Hooters at the end and several rides leave from there). Riding around Beauclerc and Scott Mill down to Mandarin Rd is very nice (and freshly paved). Thats my go-to route. You can cross over the Juilington Creek bridge and head around Fruit Cove Terrace - all without too much traffic. Loop around to David Pond Blvd and onto Durbin Creek Blvd then cross over Race Track Rd and go thru Bishop Estates Rd then head back over the bridge and return home.

Shoot me your email and I'd be happy to send you some route files.

Also - there is a ride called South Side Express (never done it but know several people who do) that will go right by your door.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old thread, but can anyone in Jax help me out with some routes inland, closer to orange park?

I just have an hour or two of free time with work this week and don’t want to spend half of it driving out to the beach.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Jacksonville fl [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shoot me a PM w your email and I can share some routes.

Or better yet - come ride w me tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My annual 5 week escape to PVB starts Monday!
Quote Reply