Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Handcycles in Boston Marathon?
Quote | Reply
http://www.fox25boston.com/...7-marathon/511897829

I know a wheelchair racer [he's competed in both marathons & triathlons] and he is pissed

Quote:
I can't believe the BAA caved on this. This is wrong in so many ways. Handcycling belongs with cycling events. Not Road Races and marathons.

Runners should be as ticked off too. What happens when some organization wants a cycling division in the marathon? From Bobby Hall to Tatyana Mcfadden, a lot of work was done to build our division into an elite athletic event. Now, with these guys and the chain drive and gears, it's just going to become a pity parade. As for myself, I will never give respect to someone who says he/she won Boston, of any marathon, on a handcycle.

The handcycle is, like a bike, chain driven with multi gears. Why they don't really need to work the hills. Or even train for them. They just change gears and make life easier for themselves.

It's a different sport. Even in triathlons we need to get off our handbike and into our racing chair for the run portion.

The average spectator doesn't know the difference between a pushrim racing chair and a handcycle. I find myself explaining the difference all the time. Also, As of right now, they aren't being required to qualify. Where's the fairness in that? In that case, I can break out my handcycle on Monday morning and jump in and complete the course. With no training. It's only 26.2 miles. Not that difficult with chains and gears to get me up the hills.

Any wheelchair racers here? What's the feeling about this?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Handcycles in Boston Marathon? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I get the outrage, I think a broader perspective is that--outside the elites--Boston has become a parade. Why not let everyone parade on their vehicle of choice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a wheelchair racer, but I think this is ridiculous as well. What's next, being able to use a scooter in a marathon? Motorcycle? Unfortunately this is the new era of political correctness. If pressured, these racers would be allowed to use male or female bathrooms too
Quote Reply
Re: Handcycles in Boston Marathon? [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a scooter and I am told frequently to use the female bathroom when I ride it. Something like that anyway.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Handcycles in Boston Marathon? [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most major marathons like New York, LA, Long Beach, even international one like Berlin, have separate wheelchair and handcycle divisions for the longest time.
Last edited by: RichardL: Apr 14, 17 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: Handcycles in Boston Marathon? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
While I get the outrage, I think a broader perspective is that--outside the elites--Boston has become a parade. Why not let everyone parade on their vehicle of choice?

Become a parade in what sense? Because there are a lot of spectators? Boston is one of the premier running events in the world and I highly doubt that the BAA sees it as a parade. And to your question - if my "vehicle of choice" is my tri bike should I be able to ride that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also know a wheelchair racer. He apparently draws the line at using gears. So would I. I agree that the hand-cycle people don't belong there. But then again, I could - and do -- just as easily say that neither do the wheelchairs. It's running, not cycling.

But that ship has already sailed. It's not a battle worth fighting. If you oppose the handcyclists, you are open to the same fatuous criticism as anyone who dares oppose wheelchairs. Why do you hate people with disabilities? That's why the BAA caved.

It is a parade.
Quote Reply
Re: Handcycles in Boston Marathon? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:

I'm guessing that's the beef of the wheelchair racer quoted in the OP. He might be among the wheelchair elites. Wheelchair is considered track and handcycle is considered cycling. Makes sense. So elite wheelchair racers may be annoyed at handcycles bombing the course and finishing ahead of them. And the feeling is they should suck it up and get in a chair. Since most people who can handcycle can roll a chair.

But the Pittsburgh Marathon and Knoxville Marathon are on the regular handcycle racing circuit. I'm OK if Boston wants to adopt a handcycle race. We're talking about a very small # of people (i.e.. ~10) going off before the runners, and really not getting in anyone's way, or requiring much at all in the way of additional resources beyond what it takes to set up a major marathon in the first place. And there the Boston-unique issue of bombing survivors who want to get down the course on race day, and may not be up for doing it in wheelchair yet.

It's really good spectating. Watching really good handcycles (or wheelchair racers) is a blast.

So I'm fine with what the BAA is doing. While I understand the track vs. cycling argument, it seems a bit aggressively territorial for the chair guys to push out the cyclists for the sake of event purity. And they're scored separately, etc.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 14, 17 13:58
Quote Reply
Re: Handcycles in Boston Marathon? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:

It is a parade.

The elite wheelchair race is not a parade. These guys are some of the best. They have aero helmets, skinsuits, and Zipp wheels. Just like we do here.

Quote:
you are open to the same fatuous criticism as anyone who dares oppose wheelchairs

All such criticism is fatuous? You think there's no valid reason to support having wheelchair racing?
Last edited by: trail: Apr 14, 17 14:08
Quote Reply
Re: Handcycles in Boston Marathon? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The elite wheelchair race is not a parade.

Not the wheelchair race. The whole race. The whole race is a parade. And becoming more so, every time more categories, divisions and runners are added.

Quote:

These guys are some of the best. They have aero helmets, skinsuits, and Zipp wheels. Just like we do here.

Like we do? Who is we? Triathletes? Cyclists? Great. So put them in a triathlon or a cycling race then. Not a running race.

Quote:
All such criticism is fatuous? You think there's no valid reason to support having wheelchair racing?

The criticism that one receives from opposition to it being a part of the Boston Marathon is fatuous. It comes with the implied assertion that you must be opposed to people in wheelchairs. Demonize the speaker. Set up a straw man. Why do you hate America?

I have no opposition to wheelchair racing in general. I think it should have no place in the Boston Marathon. Just as hand cyclists should have no place.

But again, that ship has sailed. It's been in too long. So nobody gets to object to hand cyclists in Boston either. That's why it's sadly funny to watch the wheelchair racers object to this change.

Hey, while we're at it, why don't we add a cycling race and a triathlon to it as well? That way we can all pay $650 entry fees.
Last edited by: JoeO: Apr 14, 17 15:50
Quote Reply
Re: Handcycles in Boston Marathon? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Very well said
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Boston Marathon has allowed handcycles for years, but they didn't give them awards. The issue that people are apparently mad about now is that they are going to be given awards (in a different division than wheelchairs).

And handcyclists do need to meet a qualifying standard; it is the same as the standard for wheelchairs.
Quote Reply