Prev Next
Re: Factor Bikes [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
MKirk wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
pknight wrote:
what's with the fascination with buying Aliexpress "bike shaped objects" rather than say a base model carbon bike from a reputable manufacturer?

No idea. I'd rather not bet my life on a dubious quality frame.

However, you won't see me on a Factor because of the dentist pricing. I'm pretty sure I can get 99.9% of the bang for a lot less bucks.

Factor Bikes are a legit (not knock-off Aliexpress) bike brand that has their own manufacturing. https://factorbikes.com/
Not following your comment on Factor dentist pricing........and their pricing is right in line with every other bike brand on a comparable bike.

O2 build with Di2 is showing $11k on Factors website, but you can build the same on Competitive Cyclist for $8.5k which is right on line with all the other similar bike builds in various brands.

$5k starting price for just the frame isn't dentist pricing?
There are many fine bikes you can fully build for that price with Ui2.

I'm sure Factor bikes are pretty damn sweet to ride, but I think your paying a premium for a nice paint job and some pro team cool "factor" (pun intended).

I’d have to look around, but I almost guarantee that a similar spec’d Cervelo R5d or a Trek Emonda would all run around the same price. Not saying there aren’t less expensive brands (Giant or Canyon).

Cervelo, Trek, Specialized Factor, Colnago, Pinarrello and Giant all have bike with an 11k or higher price tag.
Quote Reply
Re: Factor Bikes [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
My buddy showed me a site where you can buy one of these frames for under $1k straight from the factory.

HaHaHa, and my Foakleys at 2 pairs for $10 dollars are straight from "the factory" in Bali... they aren't Oakley's though, that's for sure..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Factor and Canyon look almost identical as well. Wonder how the ride compares.....especially since the Factor "Chassis" price is more than the complete Canyon build.

Last edited by: MKirk: Feb 19, 18 14:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
My buddy showed me a site where you can buy one of these frames for under $1k straight from the factory.

Factor is one of the few bike brands operating their own factory unlike most brands that are made in the Merida or Giant factories, so it wouldn't be likely or in their best interest to sell cheap bikes from the factory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously?
They're both blue and have Mavic wheels. After that, I'm at a loss to see why you think these two are any more similar than any other two road bikes.
I can see a myriad of obvious differences at a glance. Need I point some of them out or are you trolling?

This seems to happen a lot, people who clearly haven't a clue trying to suggest that bikes are copies or from the same factory but offering zero credible reasons for their "suspicions". Canyon seems to be singled out more than others but it's not confined to their stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Factor Bikes [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at frames only, there are very minor differences in the seat tube/rear stays junction and the fork to head tube junction.....very slight. The rest looks pretty much identical. Even the geometry between the two I think are identical. I will say though that I am no frame expert so maybe these two frames are not even remotely close to each other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both of the junctions you mention are significantly different.
I suggest you have another look.
The fork/frame interface is the most obvious. The Canyon has a flat section carrying back from the base of the headtube to meet the downtube. If the bike was actually composed of straight tubes, the downtube would intersect the headtube well above the fork crown. Now look at the Factor. The downtube actually finishes below the fork crown and there's a cut-away to integrate the fork with the down tube. No sign of that on the Canyon. That could be a cosmetic fairing added to both the fork and downtube on the Factor I suppose (but I don't believe that). However, if you again suppose the tubes were all straight, the downtube would intersect the headtube much lower down on the Factor than the Canyon.
At the seat-tube to toptube junction, the Factor does have a similar profile. But have a look at the spacing of the seatstays at the intersection and the fact that the Factor has the seatstays join the back of the seat tube while the Canyon has the seatstays essentially wrap around the seat tube and join the top tube, although they're all joined together so describe it whatever way you like. It's clearly not the same.
I'm not going to go on pointing out things that should be obvious.
You've given no credible reason to believe they are the same bike and they are quite clearly, by a simple visual inspection of a couple of photos, not the same bike. I have no idea if there is any crossover between the two. Maybe they borrowed ideas and geometry from each other, but there's nothing obviously going on, and unless you have a reason to think that, why speculate? Regardless, Not the same bike.

If you have some actual reason for making the suggestion you did, then share it. If not, I think it's unhelpful introducing conspiracy theories and confusion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No conspiracy theory, I just made the comment that they look alike......and you just reiterated what I said although I just said it in about 2500 less words. Also note I said I was no expert and apparently you must be (at least more that I am).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
No conspiracy theory, I just made the comment that they look alike......and you just reiterated what I said although I just said it in about 2500 less words. Also note I said I was no expert and apparently you must be (at least more that I am).
How exactly does my post reiterate yours? You said they looked "almost identical", I pointed out obvious differences.
All road bikes look pretty alike. Superficially, these don't really seem much more similar than others.

Expertise is not needed. I was just pointing out simple differences in shape. They're there for anyone to see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
MKirk wrote:

How exactly does my post reiterate yours? You said they looked "almost identical", I pointed out obvious differences.
All road bikes look pretty alike. Superficially, these don't really seem much more similar than others.

Expertise is not needed. I was just pointing out simple differences in shape. They're there for anyone to see.

The chainstays also appear quite a bit different in shape, size, and cable routing.
Quote Reply
Re: Factor Bikes [smartyiak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true... the differences are numerous
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mentioned “differences in the seat tube/rear stays junction and the fork to head tube junction”. You elaborated on what I said. Hey, I like the Factor O2, enough that I’m trying to get my hands on a demo bike and a quote on a build. Really my comment is no different on the other Factor thread in their TT bike where everyone on that thread says it’s a Trek (I think) duplicate. Maybe you can set everyone on that thread straight as well??
Quote Reply
Re: Factor Bikes [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Factor is one of the few bike brands operating their own factory unlike most brands that are made in the Merida or Giant factories, so it wouldn't be likely or in their best interest to sell cheap bikes from the factory.

It's not Factor selling them. Just because Factor owns the factory doesn't mean they know what's going on in it every second of every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So based on the rest of the thread they are legit Factor frames from the factory? Go ahead and buy a cheap one if you believe that... I saw some cheap Pinarello frames too if you're keen?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
So based on the rest of the thread they are legit Factor frames from the factory? Go ahead and buy a cheap one if you believe that... I saw some cheap Pinarello frames too if you're keen?

And don't forget to purchase your $5 foakleys to wear while riding it.
Quote Reply
Re: Factor Bikes [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only if they are genuine imitations
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

I won't buy one. Just heard the quality was better than one would expect if it was just a cheap knockoff...
Quote Reply

Prev Next