Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sarah Lawrence College - Talk to Me [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
drn92 wrote:
Not bad. Congrats on his acceptance.

Does the $15-18k include room and board or just tuition?

drn92

Everything for now, minus a few incidentals (parking if we allow hom to take his car, spending money after he runs out of his savings, etc.) of $1-3k.

R&B alone is $12k. $hit, for that, I could buy a small 2-3 bedroom condo or house on the outskirts of Charlotte, and rent the two other rooms.

Well, my oldest also got accepted to UNCC School of Engineering and starts in the Fall. Didn't get any scholarships, though, outside of the Stafford loan for $5,500 per year (which isn't really financial assistance). Since we live in Davidson, he could commute, but I think a critical part of the college experience is living there and making what tend to be life long friends. So, he is going to be residing in Hawthorne Hall since it is the designated Engineering Learning Center.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Lawrence College - Talk to Me [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read I am Charlotte Simmons. Enjoyed it. But it's fiction. Trying to learn about the state of higher education from it is like trying to learn economics from Ayn Rand.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Lawrence College - Talk to Me [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If law school is a real possibility, she is insane to spend money on undergrad. No one gives two shits about where she went to undergrad. Law school will impose impossible debts upon her, so do undergrad on the cheap.

If she thinks an English or history degree from a fancy undergrad will impress law schools - it won't. It won't impress law firms either. All she needs is sold grads and a good LSAT score. A degree from U of M will impress law schools far more then enough.

Every day, I see law students with insane debts and wonder what the hell they were thinking. Makes no sense.

Get good grades and take a course for the LSAT. Then try not to bankrupt yourself in law school. Top 10% at any law school will be just fine. Top 20% will have options as well. Debt doesn't help anyone.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Lawrence College - Talk to Me [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
windywave wrote:
drn92 wrote:
We are doing the college visit thing right now. A couple of the schools indicated that the "first year package" would carry through all 4 years as long as the student stayed in good standing.

However, definitely something to ask for future visits and applications. Strapping on $100k+ of debt to start your career is daunting.

We visited an extremely interesting school in the PacNW. I wonder sometimes what these kids are going to do when they are done "exploring" a subject for four years.

drn92

OWS

?

If you haven't figured it out by now. Wendy wave is the dick of the lavender room.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Lawrence College - Talk to Me [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
A degree from U of M will impress law schools far more then enough.

And in almost every measurable sense, Michigan is a better college than Sarah Lawrence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I would/will do with my kid.

It's great that you want to get a JD. But if you end up 3 years from now not wanting to be a lawyer anymore, how much can you make and what are the job prospects for a English or History major? How long then will you be paying for that degree?

To me, paying that much per year for an English or History degree is insane. Engineer? That is still a little crazy but there is hope for a decent paying job at the end of 4 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Lawrence College - Talk to Me [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

Her choice of prospective major, at this time, is driven by her desire to go to law school some day. She was on the Mock Trial team for three years (one year placing third in the state) & really enjoyed it. So that's what she wants to do.... at this time.

The decision to apply to SLC (and some other east coast schools) was based mostly on her desire to go to school out of state -- not because they have a AAA English program, or because she thought it would look good on a law school application.

Her app to Michigan was sent in late, so she's on the waiting list. But she won't hear back until after the commit date from SLC. If she gets accepted to UM she'll have to eat the $500 SLC deposit.

I won't be surprised if the grants from UM are much less than SLC, and our parents' bill will be > $32k. ** then what? **

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Last edited by: ttocsmi: Apr 17, 17 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Lawrence College - Talk to Me [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And in almost every measurable sense, Michigan is a better college than Sarah Lawrence.

As much as I don't care for UM, I would still agree 100%.

Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Lawrence College - Talk to Me [bq2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bq2001 wrote:
It's great that you want to get a JD. But if you end up 3 years from now not wanting to be a lawyer anymore, how much can you make and what are the job prospects for a English or History major? How long then will you be paying for that degree?

Very, very good point.

For all we know, half way through, she could switch majors to elementary education.

bq2001 wrote:
Engineer? That is still a little crazy but there is hope for a decent paying job at the end of 4 years.

Her brother went that route. Too much for us to pay.

Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Lawrence College - Talk to Me [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
drn92 wrote:
windywave wrote:
drn92 wrote:
We are doing the college visit thing right now. A couple of the schools indicated that the "first year package" would carry through all 4 years as long as the student stayed in good standing.

However, definitely something to ask for future visits and applications. Strapping on $100k+ of debt to start your career is daunting.

We visited an extremely interesting school in the PacNW. I wonder sometimes what these kids are going to do when they are done "exploring" a subject for four years.

drn92

OWS

?

If you haven't figured it out by now. Wendy wave is the dick of the lavender room.

How was that a dick comment?
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Lawrence College - Talk to Me [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't get it so I had to look up OWS. I was struck by how I had forgotten about that whole thing. I didn't think it was that much a dick comment maybe a bit funny. In the history of lavender room dick comments its pretty mild.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
bq2001 wrote:

Very, very good point.

For all we know, half way through, she could switch majors to elementary education.

bq2001 wrote:
Engineer? That is still a little crazy but there is hope for a decent paying job at the end of 4 years.

Her brother went that route. Too much for us to pay

That's the route I took, but it was influenced by my dad. He thought lawyers were a dime a dozen and the market was flooded. He believed engineering was where the jobs were and it would serve me well if law did not pan out.

Well, the market is flooded, but I made it as a lawyer. Absolutely hated engineering, but the experience has served me well.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:

Her choice of prospective major, at this time, is driven by her desire to go to law school some day. She was on the Mock Trial team for three years (one year placing third in the state) & really enjoyed it. So that's what she wants to do.... at this time.

It's a common thought that having a history or english major enhances one's admission prospects to law school or the success after admission. I am not aware of any correlation either way. So, her interest in law school should not preclude considering other majors.

JSA and I both have engineering undergrad majors and are practicing attorneys (and neither of us are patent lawyers).
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Lawrence College - Talk to Me [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the newest family doctors in our community is a voice major for undergrad. If you asked me what to do in undergrad prior to medicine I would say do something you really like but it should be challenging. . You will have to do prerequisite courses but they are almost all first year courses and if you do well in science and math in highschool you can do fine.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My $.02...

I agree with others about law school. I know a shit ton of lawyers, either old friends from high school and college or the tons of lawyers I've worked with in my career. I think almost all agree that if law school is the plan then to enjoy the undergrad major and not overthink it. If you like Engineering, do Engineering. If you like Literature and writing, be an English major.

I'm also of the opinion that the financial strain of a fancy private school is not worth it if the goal is to get a graduate degree. As someone said, nobody really gives a shit where you did your undergrad if you later got a JD, or MD, or MBA, or whatever. Potential employers care where you did your grad work. Maybe all things being equal the undergrad wins out but that's probably 10th on the list by that point.

I was accepted into Cornell and really, Really, REALLY wanted to go there. My family wasn't exactly swimming in money but I naively thought my folks would flip the bill for their firstborn going to an Ivy League school. Nope. It pretty much went like this, "That's great, son. How are you going to pay for it?" They were willing to pay 100% of a public school education. So they were willing to give me that much but the rest of the fancy private school bill would be on me. I ran the numbers and I would've come out nearly six figures in debt upon graduation in 1992. So I decided on the state school that was 100% paid for by my folks. :-)

It honestly was the right decision. I was an Accounting major and my state school was actually one of the highest rated public universities in the country for Accounting programs so it more than worked out for me. Cornell doesn't even have an accounting major.

My son is almost 12 now. I told him I will 100% cover his education if he goes to a state school but if he wants to go private the difference is all on him. That's fallen on deaf ears for now because he's in 6th grade but he'll understand that soon enough.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next