Quote | Reply
Shave your legs and arms.

https://www.walmart.com/...-Ultragrip-10ct/3400

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Last edited by: georged: Apr 17, 17 19:47
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [SBRED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aerobars hands down if you are riding a road bike. From there, I would do a fitted suit and a more aero helmet.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas, since you're always in the know, any idea where I could get a short stem latex tube for a zipp disc?
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
Thomas, since you're always in the know, any idea where I could get a short stem latex tube for a zipp disc?

Your best option is the Michelin Latex 36mm. That is about as short of a stem as you can find. The downside is there is no removable valve core so if you bust the valve core you are screwed. They can be difficult to get your hands on them sometimes. The Amazon price is outrageous and I am sure you can find for 10-12 dollars somewhere.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking to minimize spending, maybe think about buying a used tri bike. I just sold my old 2008 Giant Trinity for $350. Scan your local craigslist for good deals, or even the classifieds here but then you're looking at paying extra for shipping etc. The Trinity was my tri starter bike and I used it 2 seasons for everything from sprints to 1/2 iron distance races until the itch for a sexier, newer bike was so strong that I had to scratch it.

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Thomas,
do you recommend latex tubes for HIM and IM distances? Is there a brand you like? was going to try this year. running 404's with a disc cover. thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [theviens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several of the items listed (tires/tubes and tight clothing) are more about optimization rather than bang/buck. You will have to buy tires, so get fast ones. You will have to race in some sort of clothing, so get tight stuff. Yes the gear might be a little bit more that the cheap stuff, but you are gaining a lot of speed for the little difference in price (this is the rationale I give my wife about my purchases, but I'm not sure she buys it).

One thing that has not been mentioned is a comfortable saddle. Riding in aerobars properly requires a rotation of the hips that is probably not comfortable on your regular road saddle. The aerobars will do you no good if you can't ride in that position.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:
(this is the rationale I give my wife about my purchases, but I'm not sure she buys it).

I have it on good authority that they don't, the most I hope for is a wry smirk and a head nod.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

just echoing what other people have said:

Since drag is proportional to the cross sectional area, your body is much bigger surface area than the bike. Using the aero bars to reduce your surface area is biggest bang for the buck. Remove your bottle cages from your tubes. Your non-aero helmet has about 4x the drag of wheels, so get an aero helmet before wheels. And don't get a rudy project. Getting the tight fitting aero clothing is also a no-brainer.

There should be an old thread on the MIT cycling team article about getting aero for cheap.
Last edited by: vertical_doug: Apr 18, 17 10:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) aerobars ~ 40$
2) forward seatpost + lower stem ~ 60$
3) helmet ~ 60$
4) shoe covers - ~10$
4) speedsuit ~ 40$
5) wheels ~ 800$
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Bang? Power meter + trainer road. Most bang I've ever gotten for any buck. Mountain bike w/ slick tires to tri bike was minimal increase for me. Started training w/ power and it was night and day.
2. Buck? Drop weight. It's free.

Until you're > 3 W/kg the gear won't matter. They'll blow right by your upgrades. At 4 W/kg it'll start to get fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% agreed. Wired SRM for 150$, I suppose the more important than clip-in pedals for me :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't have them, yes, adding aerobars (and using them of course) will give you (BY FAR) the biggest return on speed.

Not just the biggest return on the dollar.
The biggest return period.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slam that stem!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion ceramic bearings for your wheels.
My wheels just dont want to stop...
Almost frictionless!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting ST to fund your visit to a wind tunnel.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 19, 17 10:32
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [inv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
inv wrote:
1) aerobars ~ 40$
2) forward seatpost + lower stem ~ 60$
3) helmet ~ 60$
4) shoe covers - ~10$
4) speedsuit ~ 40$
5) wheels ~ 800$

Do tell where you are shopping? I have been looking for 3-4 of these items and nothing even remotely close to the prices you are throwing out. Not doubting you just want to know

Typically see:
1.)Aerobars: 99+ (And that is starting with the airstrykes not great for tall guys)
2.)Seatpost Stem setup-$120
3.) Helmet(I Assume Aero)- $120+
4.) Speedsuit- $125+
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [tristartriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

t2+ - I see bids on ebay 29$ + 10$ delivery. or 45 to buyitnow. Cannot find any reason to buy new aerobars.
fastforward seatpost - ebay, see 21$ now, but bike-discount new - it was ~50eur.
stem - I prefer adjustable - 25$ (new)
helmet - this forum.
speedsuit - I would avoid heavy-medium used, but possible to find in like-new condition.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [tristartriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwami LD Prima is on sale for $59 plus you can find a 10-20% off coupon pretty easy. I bought this suit and can't imagine a much better bargain for a trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where is the Kiwami on sale for that price? Thar seems about $100 low from what I have seen.

Alan Stewart
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Aero Bang for Buck? [WIAlan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to sale page; not sure what sizes are left
Quote Reply

Prev Next