Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

power on the bike
Quote | Reply
2 day ago I have a 10 miles TT race, I weight 106 and my average power was 214!
my friend who weight 129 did the same race at the same time, 30 seconds faster than me with a lower average power of 170.
How did I create more power, but ride slower? what do I missing?
I like to bike at a high cadence and that particular day my legs were pretty tired so I spin more than usual, maybe to much? Average RPM was good at 95!
Quote Reply
Re: power on the bike [catyluna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What device are you using to measure your power? What device does your friend use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The big difference could be your positions on the bike. If your friend has a better position or held aero better, that would easily account for the difference. Also, the power could easily have been off by 10% (kind of a guess) from just normal differences and if you are both using single-side meters and your strong/weak legs were opposite one another.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
catyluna wrote:
Position, bike, wheels, tires, inner tubes, tire pressure, helmet, chain lube to name a few variables.
Quote Reply
Re: power on the bike [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes I definitely didn't stay aero as much!
I am going to keep testing how the powers changes with different equipment and air pressure!
thx everyone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
catyluna wrote:
2 day ago I have a 10 miles TT race, I weight 106 and my average power was 214!
my friend who weight 129 did the same race at the same time, 30 seconds faster than me with a lower average power of 170.
I like to bike at a high cadence and that particular day my legs were pretty tired so I spin more than usual, maybe to much? Average RPM was good at 95!

All kinds of things. Equipment, position, tires, tubes, pacing. My suggest is list all your equipment and give us a few pictures from the front and side and you will get some better advice on what to change.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were you riding on shallow training wheels with Gatorskins and wearing a standard road helmet? Post pics of your riding position if you have any.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
welcome to time trialling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't feel too bad ... I'm trying to figure out what happened during my race this past Sunday. The only thing I can figure is I didn't push a big enough gear, or the other guy I know got some good drafting off of cars on the road.

Situation:

• 40k flat TT
  • My power 317 watts, his power 314 watts ... so basically equal.
  • I'm 20 pounds lighter and 4" shorter than he is
  • Position wise, he might as well have been riding a road bike ... below is a picture of my position
  • My power meter: New Power2Max ... His power meter: Quarq

He beat me by 1 minute 45 seconds!!!
Quote Reply
Re: power on the bike [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what was your time?
Quote Reply
Re: power on the bike [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My time was 57:27 ... which would be a slow for a 40k ITT for me (usually in the 54-55 minute range).

He was my 30 second man, so basically same conditions on the road and wind wasn't too bad, mostly a cross/tail on the way out ... cross/head wind on the way back.

I checked for brake rub on my bike and other potential limiting factors ... couldn't find any.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
catyluna wrote:
I weight 106

You weigh 106 pounds?

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been told that consistency in a power meter is the only thing that matters. Is your power meter consistent?
Quote Reply
Re: power on the bike [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
I've been told that consistency in a power meter is the only thing that matters. Is your power meter consistent?

I'd bet money this is not an issue with the power data!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, you beat my lifetime best of 57:33 on 281w avg and 282 normalized on a very flat course. Only the 2nd time under an hour. Ever. At age 58...

What's it mean when you're still getting faster at this age? You're taking drugs or you really sucked when you were younger. I'm way too cheap to pay for drugs so...

If your equipment was the same as your friend's, then your position could be the culprit.
Quote Reply
Re: power on the bike [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow,

You can see pictures of my position in my original post ... not a whole lot I can do to improve.

They other guy's position was not good ... saddle was 2-3cm to low, bars high, arms wide, head up ... looked like he was on a road bike with aero bars.
Quote Reply