Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Albums of All Time [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I remember there being a thread on here once about first songs/opening notes setting the tone for an entire album - "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is a good example here.

"Top Five Side 1 - Track 1"

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5141721#p5141721

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Best Albums of All Time [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
1. Dark Side of the Moon

2. Downward Spiral

3. Led Zeppelin II

4. Master of Puppets

5. Sergeant Pepper

Good list. I'd stick Californication up there somewhere too.

And I'll probably get slammed for this and/or told Greatest Hits albums aren't allowed but Queen's greatest hits has easily survived the test of time. My daughter (14) is learning Bohemian Rhapsody on the piano and belting it out and Her school chorus is also singing it. My other daughters chorus is singing Somebody to Love.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Albums of All Time [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Duffy wrote:
1. Dark Side of the Moon

2. Downward Spiral

3. Led Zeppelin II

4. Master of Puppets

5. Sergeant Pepper

Good list. I'd stick Californication up there somewhere too.

And I'll probably get slammed for this and/or told Greatest Hits albums aren't allowed but Queen's greatest hits has easily survived the test of time. My daughter (14) is learning Bohemian Rhapsody on the piano and belting it out and Her school chorus is also singing it. My other daughters chorus is singing Somebody to Love.

If we could allow Best Of albums I would add The Doors too.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Albums of All Time [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops, forgot about the Doors.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Best Albums of All Time [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I'll save you the suspense, "Pet Sounds" by the Beach Boys is #1.

Critics love the Beach Boys, "Pet Sounds", not so much for the music itself, but for the way in which Brian Wilson arrived at the final product on the production side.

There was no #1 Hit or single from the album - although "Caroline, No", "God Only Knows" and "Wouldn't it be Nice" did become quite popular.

This was a total departure for pop/rock bands at the time in the way this was recorded - with multiple takes, over-layering of sounds and takes, and using many professional musicians other than the band itself to play at various times.

It says something when Paul McCartney said of "God Only Knows", that it's the perfect pop tune. If you listen to "God Only Knows" carefully, there is a richness depth and clarity, in the singing, the harmonies, and the accompanying music that was not there in pop/rock until then.

While Pet Sounds itself as an album when it was released was not a massive run-away success, the single "Good Vibrations" released about a year later, after Pet Sounds, was a huge success for the Beach Boys, reaching #1 on the charts. Much of the concept and various parts of "Good Vibrations", came out of the Pet Sounds recording and production process, and it was recorded in a similar fashion, with a great deal of studio work and production going into it. It was unlike any hit tune/song that preceded it!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 15, 17 10:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My list changes with time/moods. A top ten that comes into my head today, right now, in no particular order:

Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd

As Falls Wichita So Falls Wichita Falls - Pat Methany

My Life in the Bush of Ghosts - David Byrne/Brian Eno

Working With Fire & Steel - China Crisis

Screamadelia - Primal Scream

Remain in Light - Talking Heads

The Lamb Lays Down on Broadway - Genesis

Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys

Treasure - Cocteau Twins

Selected Ambient Works II - Aphex Twin

Bonus/Honorable Mention: Mustt Mustt - Nusret Fateh Ali Kahn

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 15, 17 10:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eno, Manzanera, 801 Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLPtBvFcQw
Quote Reply
Re: Best Albums of All Time [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the deal...

Dark Side of the Moon is on almost everyone's top 10...so it's the best. It has to be.

Was on a longish drive with my son (12) and he likes the song "Money". He asked me to put it on and I said, "ok but we have to listen to the whole album, in order."

He protested for a bit and I just told him to shut up and listen.

We ran through the whole album and he said, "Thanks, poops (he calls me poops), that was really good. Perfect."

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Best Albums of All Time [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I agree with the comments about Pet Sounds where there were new recording/instrumental techniques that Wilson included in the mix that went on to influence other artists

I can agree with those comments too. But what I can't agree is that the "best album" is one that few people actually like to hear. Make it the "most influential album of all time."

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Best Albums of All Time [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
That fuggin' link is just click-bait to run up msn's click results.

Any stupid on-line article that requires you to click to see each and every item and album (in this case), is bullshit. Really, want me to click 107 times to see the full list....

I

Agreed. Total BS. I quit it. Should have know it was crap by the msn website address and fact that the OP couldn't even be bothered to make working link.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Best Albums of All Time [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Here's the deal...

Dark Side of the Moon is on almost everyone's top 10...so it's the best. It has to be.

Was on a longish drive with my son (12) and he likes the song "Money". He asked me to put it on and I said, "ok but we have to listen to the whole album, in order."

He protested for a bit and I just told him to shut up and listen.

We ran through the whole album and he said, "Thanks, poops (he calls me poops), that was really good. Perfect."

I'd have to go back and look, not sure it was even on the critics top 100. Makes no sense if it wasn't.
Quote Reply

Prev Next