Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Most underrated place in every state [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

There is a small park near Pine Mountain that is on the river and has nice bluffs you can hike. I don't see it on the list of GA parks, so maybe it is a county park.

I live just south of Pine Mountain, and I believe that you're talking about Sprewell Bluff. It was a State Park 1994 to 2013.
Last edited by: GAscott: Apr 13, 17 16:23
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [GAscott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GAscott wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

There is a small park near Pine Mountain that is on the river and has nice bluffs you can hike. I don't see it on the list of GA parks, so maybe it is a county park.

I live just south of Pine Mountain, and I believe that you're talking about Sprewell Bluff. It was a State Park 1994 to 2013.

That's it. Thanks for the update. I just googled it and see that it is now a county park. May have to plan a camping trip there.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for Edisto Island, SC. Maybe an hour south of Charleston but feels like a world (and a few centuries) away. I worked our medic station down there on occasion when I needed a paid vacation.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having lived in New Jersey now for a few years (and having been next door to it growing up in PA)... I can attest that Point Pleasant is nice. However, my favorite part of the state are the roads that lead out of it.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
In New York they want me to go drink riesling in the Fingerlakes. What are you kidding me! This is New York and that's what you want me to do. There is no way I'm drinking reisling!!!!

Lot of good wine in the Finger Lakes. I've been to a lot of the states but only three of the places mentioned. The Finger Lakes is one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Most underrated? I don't know. But paddling/camping French River Provincial Park in Ontario is on my list of to dos that nobody knows about.

.But....but.......the bugs. What's the old joke - first the mosquito flies, then the black flies, then the deer flies, then the horse flies, then the snow flies.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

.But....but.......the bugs. What's the old joke - first the mosquito flies, then the black flies, then the deer flies, then the horse flies, then the snow flies.

Don't know that joke but the order is wrong. Black flies come before mosquitoes.

And if you want to avoid the bugs, go in August. Hardly any mosquitoes left by then. Certainly no black flies.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [TriTJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTJ wrote:
Having lived in New Jersey now for a few years (and having been next door to it growing up in PA)... I can attest that Point Pleasant is nice. However, my favorite part of the state are the roads that lead out of it.

Really, Point Pleasant in all of NJ?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
Triocd wrote:
wimsey wrote:
Do not go out of your way to visit Worcester, MA. It may be underrated, but it's not *that* underrated.

Apostle Islands in Wisconsin are great.

St. Augustine in Florida isn't exactly hidden, but I suppose it's less well-known and hyped than Orlando and Miami. It's a decent place to spend a weekend if you're in the area.

Ha! Worcester. I can't imagine visiting there for fun.

I'd love to see a most overrated place in every state.

Pretty much every big city in the country, is my guess.

I'll third (fourth? fifth?) Worcester not being some hidden gem/underrated town. Not worth it at all, though outside of Boston, the Cape, and some towns on the coast that most people know I don't know what actually can be called underrated...lot of crap west of 495.

I have to disagree...there's lots of great small towns and outdoor stuff in western ma in the pioneer valley and the Berkshires. You gotta go way past 495 though before its gets nice though.

My most overrated for ma is definitely cape cod. Horrific traffic and I found the cycling awful due to narrow roads and a million cars in the summer.

But the big problem is that everything else is either properly rated or overrated. cape & Islands are well known. Berkshires are well known. North shore is well known. South shore & plymouth too. What are they going to pick? Lawrence? Haverhill? Fitchburg?

But I woulda picked Lowell over Woo, and I live here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amador county is interesting. It's right on CA-49 between Sac and Yosemite, so it's not at all unknown. I'd say almost anything north of Sac is underrated.

New Hampshire: anything in the Whites isn't underrated. Monadnock might be though
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Id say eastern Tulare County is also under-rated. Miles and miles of sierras and high desert. Campgrounds galore that nobody uses.

Quote | Reply
By virtue of calling these places "underrated," they're essentially making them overrated.

As an example, they include those sand dunes in Colorado. Cool. But if they really wanted to go for something underrated, they'd have chose instead the Colorado Alligator Park, which is pretty dame close to those lame dunes. Dunes in the western desert? Big fucking deal. But alligators? Holy shit!
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sand Dunes is okay. I think Mesa Verde would be a better "underrated" park, as almost as many people pass it by as they do Sand Dunes. The alligator park is a POS :) Which makes it kinda cool.

St. Augustine is a vacation destination for Floridians. I wouldn't call it underrated. Dry Tortugas National Park is beyond amazing and under visited.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [triguy98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to agree about Mesa Verde. That place is awesome. One of the best national parks.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think everyone has been spot on with the NoGa assessments. Blue ridge/Brasstown are nice, but Helen is too touristy and nothing special.
Also, if you're looking for good BBQ in Asheville go to 12 Bones(get the ribs).
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
TriTJ wrote:

Really, Point Pleasant in all of NJ?

If it's so underrated, how do all the bennys know about it?

The most underrated place in Jersey? ... I'd rather not talk about it

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [triguy98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy98 wrote:
Sand Dunes is okay. I think Mesa Verde would be a better "underrated" park, as almost as many people pass it by as they do Sand Dunes. The alligator park is a POS :) Which makes it kinda cool.

St. Augustine is a vacation destination for Floridians. I wouldn't call it underrated. Dry Tortugas National Park is beyond amazing and under visited.

An almost unknown place in FL is Cedar Key on the Gulf, which is almost exactly a days drive from St. Augustine. An amazing thing to do is to have breakfast on the Atlantic as the sun rises, lunch near the University of Florida and then dinner watching the sun go down from Cedar Key. I did that with a few friends way back in the 1980s and I remember that day nearly 40 years later as if it was a few weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The benny's don't flood Point like they do Seaside, that's for sure. I prefer the South Jersey shore spots.

I don't have a lot of good to say about Jersey, hence my 'roads out' being my favorite. Living here is, unfortunately, a necessity for now.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply

Prev Next