Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Church Police [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
This is pretty fascinating. I can't help but to have some fun with this, so bear with me.

If you take "church" out of this and treat it as just an "organization" or "group of people", at what point is a group special enough to deserve it's own police force "to protect and to serve" the members of that organization?

They talk about colleges with their own police force, which seems to be a somewhat fair comparison. Are campus police a good thing?

Would we be OK with a large corporation having their own police force?

How about an Islamic mosque?

A football stadium?

A donut shop?

A bike fit studio?

How about McDonald's starting their own police force with an international training center (maybe they could finally catch the Hamburgler)?

OK, I'm getting a bit ridiculous, obviously, but there is a point in there somewhere, I think. I guess this seems like a very slippery slope and who knows how people will interpret it.

Another aspect would be what kind of police force can they have? Are we talking a couple of folks walking around with a can of pepper spray or do they get to have their own SWAT team? Where is that line? Can I form my own militia to protect my family?

"Honey, can you move the M1 Abrams so I can leave for work? Oh, and don't forget today is trash day."

Like you say, way too many shenanigans for this to be a good idea.

With that said, a lot of the churches in my area hire officers to direct traffic in/out of church on Sunday mornings. I assume they are off-duty. I figure if I'm gonna go on a crime spree, a Sunday morning when a marathon is going on would be the time to do it. lol!

Wanted to reply all day. There is actually a history of private police in the country for coal companies, railroads, steel mills etc. It's not unprecedented. My school had a police force and they worked closely with the local police. The local cops liked them since they relieved them of the burden of policing on campus and several blocks off. The police were mainly a presence to discourage criminals and to provide a QRF for crime against a student on or close to campus.
Quote Reply

Prev Next