Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help needed (putting door jambs back)
Quote | Reply
So awhile ago, I decided to tile my floor in most of my house. When getting started on the process I learned that the interior door jambs were steel (non structural though). Rather then try to cut the tile around them and make the tiling itself more difficult, I decided to cut the bottom of these door jambs off (about 4" on all of them) and completely removed those sections so that I could run tile under them.

Tile is done, I am now putting the house back together slowly and am at the point where I need to put the door jambs back to complete the job and have 2 options as I see it:

1. I weld them back in with a solid bead all the way around and then paint the door jambs again to make it look good.

2. I tack weld all of the corners and fill the gap with silicone, then paint it all.

Yes, I have welded before so I am confident I could do it, just unsure of the spatter amount I will get.

Which option would you choose?
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed (putting door jambs back) [140.6sj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you post some pictures?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I would do a solid weld (assuming you will mig weld it givenn the thin metal). All houses move over time and while the odds are low, I would hate to have to fix a broken tack weld down the road.
What you should have done is buy/rent a power flush cut saw. Use a scrap of tile as a thickness Guage beside the jamb, and cut just enough material to allow the tile to pass underneath. 4" was way too much.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed (putting door jambs back) [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Personally I would do a solid weld (assuming you will mig weld it givenn the thin metal). All houses move over time and while the odds are low, I would hate to have to fix a broken tack weld down the road.
What you should have done is buy/rent a power flush cut saw. Use a scrap of tile as a thickness Guage beside the jamb, and cut just enough material to allow the tile to pass underneath. 4" was way too much.

I was kind of leaning towards the solid weld as well, yes i know 4" is too much, but it did make running a full tile under a lot easier, lol
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed (putting door jambs back) [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:

This.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would replace the door and jamb.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Apr 13, 17 8:53
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed (putting door jambs back) [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given I am just a lowly furniture builder that does his own renos, I will take this as high praise from you

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply