Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New saddle issues after no prior issues
Quote | Reply
So I have a cobb 55 jof on my tri bike which I've had for 2+ years now. Just this year I've started to comfort issues. I'm not sure what to make of this. My fit has not changed. I assume saddles last longer than a couple of years. I've only done HIM distance but in those with this setup I was able to stay in aero position most of the ride with no saddle issues. The only thing I can think of is that I can tend to move around on my seat and I think I'm not riding enough on my taint for some reason. Any ideas or suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: New saddle issues after no prior issues [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bet is that you just need a new saddle. Especially with noseless saddles, your putting all your weight on a part of the saddle where there is virtually no structural support. And saddles actually aren't designed to last very long, because typically durability pairs with break in time. I.e., you look at a Brooks, which lasts forever, but which takes a long time to break in. People want saddles that are comfortable NOW. In my experience, the shells and padding are therefore designed to be comfortable immediately, but at the expense of durability.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: New saddle issues after no prior issues [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
My bet is that you just need a new saddle. Especially with noseless saddles, your putting all your weight on a part of the saddle where there is virtually no structural support. And saddles actually aren't designed to last very long, because typically durability pairs with break in time. I.e., you look at a Brooks, which lasts forever, but which takes a long time to break in. People want saddles that are comfortable NOW. In my experience, the shells and padding are therefore designed to be comfortable immediately, but at the expense of durability.

Thanks. I had also purchased a fizik tritone which I got on super sale awhile back. I have a international distance race this weekend so I'll keep the saddle on for that but then put the tritone on after that to see how that feels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should buy a new Cobb saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: New saddle issues after no prior issues [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You should buy a new Cobb saddle.

if the tritone doesn't feel better then I probably will. I don't want to spend extra on a new cobb saddle if the tritone does the trick. I think I got the tritone on sale for maybe $60 and figured why not. So I'll try that and see how it goes. But getting a new Cobb is an option as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were you on the trainer all winter (maybe even on a different saddle)? It can take some time to adjust to regular outdoor riding again.
Quote Reply
Re: New saddle issues after no prior issues [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
Were you on the trainer all winter (maybe even on a different saddle)? It can take some time to adjust to regular outdoor riding again.

fortunately I can ride pretty much year round. So been on this saddle off and on all winter. I have a different saddle on my road bike but always try to keep up with riding my tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've either moved your saddle or you need a new one because the padding is wearing out. Reminds me that I need to get a new one, too. Several years of heavy use on my own and it's starting to hurt.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a Specialized Power for like almost a year with no issues.. many long rides with 5-6 hours in the saddle.. then all of a sudden my rear hated it.
Went back to the saddle prior to the power and I am happy again. Just had to switch.
Quote Reply