Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sexual Orientation takes another step towards federal class protection and a date before the Supreme Court
Quote | Reply
We have discussed this in the past. Under federal law, sexual orientation is not a protected class. Thus, under federal law, one cannot file a discrimination charge on the basis of sexual orientation. (There are several states that make sexual orientation a protected class.)

In our discussions on gay marriage, I have argued that the 14th Amendment can be used as the basis for providing protection to homosexuals. I have also argued that Title VII's prohibition against discrimination on the basis of gender could be used to provide protection against discrimination on the basis for sexual orientation.

Last week, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with this position and found sexual orientation to be protected under Title VII. The case involved a lesbian adjunct profession at Ivy Tech Community College. She alleged she applied several time for a full time professor position, but was denied because of her sexual orientation. The district court dismissed the suit on the basis that sexual orientation is not a protected class under Title VII.

The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals overturned, becoming the first appellate court in the country to find protection for sexual orientation under Title VII. This will most likely end up before SCOTUS.

Summary:

In seeking en banc review, Hively asked the Seventh Circuit to revisit its precedent, in light of the EEOC’s decision in Baldwin, as well as the dramatic change in Supreme Court jurisprudence regarding the treatment of LGB people, as manifested in the marriage equality decisions.
The Seventh Circuit, in an opinion by Chief Judge Wood, largely adopted the EEOC’s rationale presented in Baldwin. The court found that sexual orientation discrimination was a form of sex stereotyping and thus barred under Title VII. To reach this conclusion, the court applied the “comparative method” approach. The court examined the counterfactual “situation in which Hively is a man, but everything else stays the same: in particular, the sex or gender of the partner.” The court found that Hively’s non-conformity to the female stereotype — that she should have a male partner — was cognizable as sex discrimination under the gender non-conformity line of cases.
The court also adopted Hively’s theory that discrimination based on sexual orientation is sex discrimination under the associational theory. The court examined the application of this line of cases, beginning with Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967), and found that the Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination based on the sex of someone with whom a plaintiff associates. The court noted that it was inapposite that the Loving line of cases dealt with associational race discrimination, rather than sex discrimination.
In reversing its previous precedent such as Hamner, the court noted both the Supreme Court’s recent marriage equality decisions, as well as the EEOC’s action in Baldwin, and stated that “this court sits en banc to consider what the correct rule of law is now in light of the Supreme Court’s authoritative interpretations, not what someone thought it meant one, ten, or twenty years ago.”
The court was unpersuaded by the notion that Congress has not expressly added the phrase “sexual orientation” to the list of protected categories under the Civil Rights Act, while it has used the phrase in other legislation. Instead, the court noted that the “goalposts” of Title VII “have been moving over the years,” but the key concept — “no sex discrimination” — remains.
The Court declined to decide whether there would be an exemption if Ivy Tech were a religious employer, and whether the meaning of discrimination in the context of the provision of social or public services might be the same.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Sexual Orientation takes another step towards federal class protection and a date before the Supreme Court [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its good to see the courts gingerly entering the 21st century.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Sexual Orientation takes another step towards federal class protection and a date before the Supreme Court [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Its good to see the courts gingerly entering the 21st century.

On a personal level - I whole-heartedly agree. On a professional level - they haven't had much to work with. As I mentioned, a number of states expressly include sexual orientation in the list of protected classed. Title VII (the federal law) does not. That could have easily been remedied by Congress, but it has chosen not to do so.

While I find NO logical leap in the 7th Circuit's application of gender discrimination to sexual orientation, there is a legal premise that holds that if a statute expressly lists the things it protects, it was meant to exclude those it did not expressly name.

That said, this decision pleases me, personally. Not sure what SCOTUS will do with it, however.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Sexual Orientation takes another step towards federal class protection and a date before the Supreme Court [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im interested to see how gorsuch will affect any decision on it.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Last edited by: veganerd: Apr 11, 17 10:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

While I find NO logical leap in the 7th Circuit's application of gender discrimination to sexual orientation, there is a legal premise that holds that if a statute expressly lists the things it protects, it was meant to exclude those it did not expressly name.

I can't remember the term for it but it was basically included in the Canadian Charter of rights and freedoms by the courts here even though it wasn't listed. Pretty much the opposite of that legal premise.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

While I find NO logical leap in the 7th Circuit's application of gender discrimination to sexual orientation

Why not? Is it your belief that gender and sexual orientation are the same thing?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it summarily dismissed and is this an appeal from that? What are the facts that lead her to believe a public school discriminated against her?
Quote Reply
Re: Sexual Orientation takes another step towards federal class protection and a date before the Supreme Court [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
JSA wrote:

I can't remember the term for it but it was basically included in the Canadian Charter of rights and freedoms by the courts here even though it wasn't listed. Pretty much the opposite of that legal premise.

I think Purposive Interpretation is the term you're looking for. And this is the case wrt to sexual orientation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vriend_v_Alberta
Quote Reply
Re: Sexual Orientation takes another step towards federal class protection and a date before the Supreme Court [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Analogous grounds. Enumerous grounds are the things listed in the charter that you can't discriminate against. Analogous grounds are not specifically listed but it has been decided that they should be included.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem...a little too happy about this.

Really, really happy. There's word for "really happy" and it's slipping my mind right now.

If only I could remember that word, it describes you perfectly here...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Sexual Orientation takes another step towards federal class protection and a date before the Supreme Court [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
JSA wrote:

Well, so was the decision of the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Quote Reply
Re: Sexual Orientation takes another step towards federal class protection and a date before the Supreme Court [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

While I find NO logical leap in the 7th Circuit's application of gender discrimination to sexual orientation

Why not? Is it your belief that gender and sexual orientation are the same thing?

No. It's explained in very plain and easily understandable terms in the section I quoted in the OP.

Quote Reply
Re: Sexual Orientation takes another step towards federal class protection and a date before the Supreme Court [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Was it summarily dismissed and is this an appeal from that? What are the facts that lead her to believe a public school discriminated against her?

It was dismissed by the District Court on the basis that sexual orientation discrimination is not covered by Title VII. The 7th Circuit reversed and remanded to the District Court to hear the case. It doesn't mean she wins. It just means the case can proceed.

She applied for multiple full-time positions for which she was fully qualified. She was rejected for those positions while, during the same time period, renewed for another semester-long adjunct position. Again, doesn't mean she will win. She still has a very hefty burden of proof. But, she gets to actually proceed with her case.

Quote Reply
Re: Sexual Orientation takes another step towards federal class protection and a date before the Supreme Court [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
You seem...a little too happy about this.

Really, really happy. There's word for "really happy" and it's slipping my mind right now.

If only I could remember that word, it describes you perfectly here...

Well, now that A-Aron Rodgers is single again ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:

It was dismissed by the District Court on the basis that sexual orientation discrimination is not covered by Title VII. The 7th Circuit reversed and remanded to the District Court to hear the case. It doesn't mean she wins. It just means the case can proceed.

She applied for multiple full-time positions for which she was fully qualified. She was rejected for those positions while, during the same time period, renewed for another semester-long adjunct position. Again, doesn't mean she will win. She still has a very hefty burden of proof. But, she gets to actually proceed with her case.

You could have just said yes
Quote Reply
Re: Sexual Orientation takes another step towards federal class protection and a date before the Supreme Court [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-Aron + the gay = Super Bowl!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Sexual Orientation takes another step towards federal class protection and a date before the Supreme Court [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:

If that's all you wanted, you should not have asked - "What are the facts that lead her to believe a public school discriminated against her?" Did you really want the answer or just want to hear yourself type?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so what's your prediction on how this will play out - a bang or a whimper? do you imagine it'll slowly come along state by state, or do you think something big will happen all at once at the federal level?

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Sexual Orientation takes another step towards federal class protection and a date before the Supreme Court [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
so what's your prediction on how this will play out - a bang or a whimper? do you imagine it'll slowly come along state by state, or do you think something big will happen all at once at the federal level?

-mike

Based on what is happening with gay marriage, my prediction is sexual orientation will be formally recognized as protected under Title VII. Currently, 20 states include sexual orientation in their lists of protected classes. I don't see that expanding too much. I think it will happen on the federal level and I think it will happen through SCOTUS. I cannot see the Trump Administration pushing Congress to amend Title VII to expressly include sexual orientation, I cannot see Trump doing it administratively, and I cannot see the current Congress doing it on its own. I can see SCOTUS adopting the rationale of the 7th Circuit in this case.

That's what my crystal ball tells me, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:

If that's all you wanted, you should not have asked - "What are the facts that lead her to believe a public school discriminated against her?" Did you really want the answer or just want to hear yourself type?

You could have just said yes to the first question. I appreciate the detailed answer to the second question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:

You could have just said yes to the first question. I appreciate the detailed answer to the second question.

Quote Reply