Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best 70.3 Athlete Poll - No Love For Murray????? ======================> [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:
Pretty sure Mauricio would be the top athlete from Mexico in ITU racing.

Except he doesn't race ITU.. and there is normally a reason for that. Generally anyone good enough to race ITU does, those that aren't able to cut it try other styles of racing. Pretty much every young person I know of who races 70.3 or longer or differing forms of tri chose these distances once they realised they weren't quite the level they wanted to be in ITU. Many then suddenly have great success once changing over. Xterra is a different skill set, yes, but there is no denying he chose a form of racing with a diluted top end. I don't believe Mauricio would beat many of the top ITU u/23 guys in the world at the moment if they were put in races together.

What he said!
Quote Reply
Re: Best 70.3 Athlete Poll - No Love For Murray????? ======================> [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I feel the need to explain myself further here.

When I say a NON-Championship race I mean that any 1 or 2 or even three of these dudes is in 70.3 race against Sanders they lose 9 out of 10 times.

The thing is you throw in swim pack(which may not be as bad this year) and bike pack dynamics it becomes exponentially harder the more top athletes you add to the race.

If you are one of those people who believes that an athlete who destroys everyone in the regular season (but then doesn't win the championship) is not the best "athlete" then I guess I will never convince you.

Just saying it is much harder to show up and blast it (week in & week out) than show up for a WC and hang on for a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Best 70.3 Athlete Poll - No Love For Murray????? ======================> [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is very true about Mendez. Couple things to note, he is only 21 and most likely won't be doing an IM for a few years. His true love is in the mountains, but he knows he can make a mark on the road as well. The agent group he is with now seems to have gotten him a lot of new sponsors this year, which is pretty good considering not many people even knows who he is and they seem to have a long term plan in place. He is one to watch. An interesting fact about him is that he rode a tt bike for the first time only weeks before his first 70.3 two seasons ago (2015).
My impression is that he knows he couldn't beat some of these guys today but with the rapid rise in the sport, the future should bring great things for him. He is a sponsors dream, hard working, realistic on the business side, very gracious and is a winner.
Quote Reply
Re: Best 70.3 Athlete Poll - No Love For Murray????? ======================> [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
SJust saying it is much harder to show up and blast it (week in & week out) than show up for a WC and hang on for a win.

No it isn't!
Quote Reply
Re: Best 70.3 Athlete Poll - No Love For Murray????? ======================> [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You really think that Preforming at an incredible level 8 or more weekends out of the year is less impressive than winning a tactical battle in a WC race?

It really proves you got things right for that one race but can you do the same thing next week or next month?

I honestly just don't see that.

Maybe I look at the world differently
Quote Reply
Re: Best 70.3 Athlete Poll - No Love For Murray????? ======================> [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing with Mexico's triathlon federation is that to be eligible for wc and wts races and be part of the international itu team you need to be able to swim a 1500m pool time trial under 17:25 and run a 5k track tt under 15:20. What I guess, is that in a given year Mauricio didn't made those cuts (probably the swim), so he turned to xterra and 70.3 racing where he found out that he had alot of talent and future.
Last edited by: subsubsubelite: Apr 13, 17 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: Best 70.3 Athlete Poll - No Love For Murray????? ======================> [subsubsubelite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pictures of AB in the TT

http://www.kimroy-photography.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=601024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:
Pictures of AB in the TT

http://www.kimroy-photography.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=601024

He's definitely got a decent looking position going.

http://www.kimroy-photography.co.uk/...php?g2_itemId=601034

The way athletes are listed, Challenge Mogan Gran Canaria doesn't appear to be having separate pro field or at least just a tiny one. I recognize Daniela Ryf, Natasha Badmann, Lucy Charles and Stephen Bayliss on their list. Perhaps there are other less well known pros as well. I'd guess Alistair's race would be a solo TT almost from the gun. It will be interesting but St. George will be even more so. The next month should give some exciting insights into how the 70.3 championships might play out.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Apr 14, 17 5:30
Quote Reply
Re: Best 70.3 Athlete Poll - No Love For Murray????? ======================> [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't find any sort of pro start list for it at all...
Quote Reply
Re: Best 70.3 Athlete Poll - No Love For Murray????? ======================> [splashrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
splashrunner wrote:
I can't find any sort of pro start list for it at all...

The pros are mixed right in with the age groupers in their age appropriate category. AB is not listed yet but Ryf, Badmann, Charles and Bayliss are.

http://challengegrancanaria.com/...stration/start-list/

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Apr 14, 17 10:34
Quote Reply

Prev Next