Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How can I get the "most" out of a new trainer?
Quote | Reply
Hi folks,

I recently came into possession of a relatively new Tacx Satori Smart trainer and I'm at my wits end trying to figure out how to make the most of it. I've been cycling for 25 years, competing in tri for 2, and have a Standard distance race in the fall that I'm targeting to hit at peak fitness.

On one hand I'm ok with just jumping on with my old bike, throwing some aerobars on and cranking away for a few hours a week. But I'm a numbers guy, and would like to take advantage of TrainerRoad or similar to try and keep my training structured and trackable. If I go down this route however, I will be tempted into speed/cadence/power sensors as I'm starting from the stone age technically-speaking. Are they all really necessary?

I can ride 200km+ in a day no problem but something tells me if I want to do 40km at 35-40kph I'm going to have to focus my training and perhaps this is the opportunity I need.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How can I get the "most" out of a new trainer? [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I know, using this trainer with TR will give you cadence and power readings. I can't recommend TR enough, 15% bump in FTP after using for the past 3 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All you need is TrainerRoad and a speed sensor. TrainerRoad knows the Satori's power curve based on speed, so you are good to go. Then, just buckle down and follow a plan.

TR will do an FTP test, and then work to build your power over an extended base building plan. Then, it will ramp up a little in specialization plans toward your race day. If you love numbers, you will love training to power and following a structured, disciplined plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a hard core TrainerRoad guy. But if I was starting from scratch I would look into the Sufferfest app as well. It will have training plans / workouts but the added bonus of entertainment. Their videos are good stuff.

Whether TrainerRoad or Sufferfest, get a speed sensor and start a structured training plan. It's a game changer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you'd like a free month to TR, PM me your email address.
Since your trainer transmits power info, you do not need a speed sensor. It will also broadcast cadence, but that is usually pretty wonky from a trainer. Since you've been riding for so long, you probably don't need it anyway unless you want to work on that.

The only thing you need is a computer to run TR and an Ant+ dongle. A USB extension cable is also a great idea so that you can put the dongle close to the trainer to reduce/eliminate dropouts.
Quote Reply
Re: How can I get the "most" out of a new trainer? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the Tacx website, the Satori reports power over Bluetooth. You could run TR on your iPhone or Android and skip the ANT+ dongle and laptop.
Quote Reply
Re: How can I get the "most" out of a new trainer? [RussTKD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks for all the feedback. I took Dan up on his offer and did a quick spin today with TrainerRoad, including an FTP test. Found it very useful and will try the Standard Tri workout plan for the next 6-8 weeks.

Can you recommend a good speed sensor that I could transfer between bikes? Ideally I can use it with a garmin or some other computer that I can race tri with. I can't use my iPhone obviously.

I have an old Wahoo Tickr cadence sensor on my primary bike that I might put on there. Is there any benefit to monitoring cadence?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin has a speed sensor that uses essentially a big rubber band to wrap around your hub, but it only broadcasts over ANT+. But you really don't need a speed sensor on a trainer, as it doesn't matter.

And yes, monitoring cadence is good. A lot of the workouts on TR include cadence drills and recommendations on cadence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get both Wahoo's speed sensor and cadence sensor. I have Garmin on mine, and they work great. However, Garmin cadence and speed sensors are only ANT+, and Wahoo does both BLE and Ant+. BLE connects easier to your various mobile and computers that you might use for TrainerRoad.

Also, the rubber band versions that wrap around the hub are the total bomb. I will never use a magnet on the spoke/chainstay ever again.
Quote Reply
Re: How can I get the "most" out of a new trainer? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Wahoo have a 2-in-1 option,
http://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-sensors/wahoo-blue-sc-speed-and-cadence-sensor#

or a separate hub/crank mounted ones?
http://eu.wahoofitness.com/...dence-sensors-bundle
Last edited by: RonanIRL: Apr 12, 17 7:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the separates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any particular reason? Are the separates lighter?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RussTKD wrote:
I like the separates.

I like the separate magnet less ones. I have a Wahoo Blue SC? combined magnet speed and cadence sensor. It odes BTLE and ANT+. Some issues with bumping it and such; but overall a good unit.
My issue is that my Garmin 500 will use the speed from this primarily, instead of GPS. I have very few tree and bad reception issues. I will be moving to the Wahoo magnet less separate ones soon. ~$70 for the pair.

I use Trainerroad on both my Android phone and a windows laptop. My phone has ANT+ as well as bluetooth, computer, I use an ANT+ dongle to capture HR as well. My accessories are all Bluetooth and ANT+, makes everything easier. The phone is all I really need for TR, just a little graph and data screen.

Look into garmin mount hacks if you use a phone. I got a garmin male piece and glued it to a magnet to use with my magnet phone case and a garmin out front mount.
Quote Reply