Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Whistler [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
The far away races are why I race IM's at all. I love to make each race an adventure and explore new cultures. I live 2 hours from the bloody Woodlands and you would have to pay me race that one. Disgusting swim, bleh bike and more bleh on the run (although good for fans).

Funny, I live in vancouver, I'm tired of whistler (raced 3 times) and went to the woodlands this year for the experience (and loved it!)

I get it, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Right now there's about 1000 registered for the full and 900 for the half.
Btw a quick glance at the participant list on the website shows ~1300 for each right now -- and I'm not sure how recently it was updated. So there seem to be some late signups.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally OT, but given the discussion has migrated towards the WA racing scene.......is anyone racing the Crits this weekend?

Ballard Saturday, followed by Volunteer Park Sunday. Toying with the idea of racing my first Crit, just for kicks.

Ps - Padden remains a Classic and all that Triathlon should be.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 2600 in total, and with a very likely another 400 or so in the next 7 weeks, the races there could be at 3k which would make it very big (and profitable) race. Those kind of numbers don't get cancelled in a rational world.

For those that think Penticton would sell out, I think you are a bit stuck on the emotional side of things from a different era in IM racing. I came over from the UK 6 years ago and since I have raced several NA IMs but never have I wanted to race Canada, until it was moved to Whistler. The old course held nothing for me, and I would estimate a similar feeling for many who have come into the sport over the last 6-8 years (where so many other NA options have developed), it would not draw much more interest.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Totally OT, but given the discussion has migrated towards the WA racing scene.......is anyone racing the Crits this weekend?

Ballard Saturday, followed by Volunteer Park Sunday. Toying with the idea of racing my first Crit, just for kicks.

Ps - Padden remains a Classic and all that Triathlon should be.

Scott

I'm going to Chelan to race the 30 mile MTB race.

I've been to Ballard (many years ago), it's a pretty impressive race and I know it's popular. I think it was the largest cycling event in WA (participation) for a long time until it was surpassed recently by Woodland Park. Have a great race!

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SMO wrote:
Guys,
There are many, many factors that go into renewing the contract for this race. We are working through all aspects. Registration numbers are looking good for 2017, and discussions are ongoing with all relevant stakeholders for 2018 and beyond.

Christine - RD.

Any news or timeline for news on this race? Five weeks to go, I figured something would be decided by now.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race director saying extension for 3 years and looking into alternative bike route due to some of the Pemberton residents complaining...
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zulu wrote:
Race director saying extension for 3 years and looking into alternative bike route due to some of the Pemberton residents complaining...

Interesting.

A few ideas:

- Two laps of the 70.3 course (probably the most likely option)
- Ride to Pemberton but then head towards Birkenhead/Darcy. Really not a whole lot on that road.
- Ride to Pemberton then head up the Duffy Lake Road to Joffrey Lakes. That would make it arguably the hardest IM branded big leg in the world, and on a par with the Alpe d'Huez tri. So that ain't gonna happen.
- Run it up and down all the Whistler residential roads. At least a two lapper and a hellish day of climbing and descending. That won't happen either.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The complaint is that the road closure between Whistler and Pemberton causes business disruptions in Pemberton, so any bike course going towards Pemberton is not going to solve the issue. Basically, Whistler is benefiting financially while Pemberton is being harmed financially. Whistler could cut a cheque to Pemberton (i.e. via the scholarship program or road repair that are already being discussed), or participants could help by staying, eating, or shopping in Pemberton, which where the start and finish are located, there's no incentive for participants to visit Pemberton other than driving the bike preview.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [davero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is amazing how much whining society has for a few hours inconvience. While some businesses may suffer a minir inconvience on one day, others get a significant bump in business specifically because of Ironman athletes training and others training with them in the months and weeks leading up to ironman Whistler. I know in 2015, I spent at least $30 in Pemberton that I never woukd have spent if I wasn't doing Ironman Whistler. The complaints are simply about money, by a couple of small local businesses who think they should be compensated--maybe they should be--because they don't recieve the same benefit as Whistler restaurants. The others are locals that are complaining just to complain about road closures...this happens everywhere with less complaints. I used to live on Hastings St. In Burnaby and once a year Hastings St. was closed during the aftenoon commute for the Giro di Burnaby cycling race, a massive inconvenience to the entire greater Vancouver communities, unfortunately the squeaky wheels get the grease, I guess an annual scholarship will greaae the wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it is not just the businesses in Pemberton, but also the householders on the flat Pemberton Meadows road who say they are imprisoned in their homes for the day.

Having ridden up to Pemberton a few times over the years, I don't really remember there being a big selection of places to spend my hard earned money. There's the gas station at the crossroads, the convenience store across from there, and then you can ride into the centre of town, but I really struggled to find much there to be honest. Perhaps I just wasn't looking hard enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spandexboy wrote:
It is amazing how much whining society has for a few hours inconvience. While some businesses may suffer a minir inconvience on one day, others get a significant bump in business specifically because of Ironman athletes training and others training with them in the months and weeks leading up to ironman Whistler. I know in 2015, I spent at least $30 in Pemberton that I never woukd have spent if I wasn't doing Ironman Whistler. The complaints are simply about money, by a couple of small local businesses who think they should be compensated--maybe they should be--because they don't recieve the same benefit as Whistler restaurants. The others are locals that are complaining just to complain about road closures...this happens everywhere with less complaints. I used to live on Hastings St. In Burnaby and once a year Hastings St. was closed during the aftenoon commute for the Giro di Burnaby cycling race, a massive inconvenience to the entire greater Vancouver communities, unfortunately the squeaky wheels get the grease, I guess an annual scholarship will greaae the wheels.

People in general don't like to see others benefit in some way when they themselves don't. Especially if there is even the slightest hint that they possibly could have. They will take the smallest inconvenience and amplify it to the point that you would think someone is personally threatening their lives.

I can't get out of my driveway for several hours on day a year! What if I'm out of coffee creamer! I've been harmed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems Pemby is going to disallow the meadows use going forward.

http://www.mountainfm.com/...berton-meadows-road/
Last edited by: lostinT2: Jun 27, 17 20:26
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. We are in Pemby once a month and i find it hard to believe that local businesses would be hugely impacted (other than the servo stations when entering the town) with the race on. If anything the local community would see a lot of people coming to the area a day or two before the event....maybe even doing a course recon and either having cafe stop or spend a few bucks at the local supermarkets.
I think its just the locals kicking up more of a stink because they are inconvenienced with road closures, not so much small business.

On a brighter note, I'm signed up for the 70.3 and i cant wait, i think it will be one of the more scenic courses (albeit a hard one) available.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [lostinT2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Mayor Richman says there has been conflict on the road between cyclists and motorists and that they are concerned for participants safety, particularly in the lead up to an Ironman event when training on the road often occurs; “what it comes down too was the safety and security. The more we heard from people the more information we gathered on some of the safety issues along that road, the more we recognized that this is potentially an accident waiting to happen. There is a high potential for somebody to get hurt, and God forbid killed”.

The Mayor emphasized that the decision was based on safety, “I did not feel responsible supporting an event knowing that there’s this level of conflict, that there’s this level of danger to cyclists, to our residents and to our locals and everybody involved."

Seems the Mayor is implying locals will run someone over if the town continues to draw cyclists to this 50k pastoral straightaway.

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Jun 27, 17 21:20
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [sjc166] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think its just the locals kicking up more of a stink because they are inconvenienced with road closures, not so much small business.
Bingo. Safety has nothing to do with it.

Same thing happened with Hayden and the old Coeur d'Alene bike course. And their roads weren't even closed to local traffic. Rednecks up there just hate bicycles.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [lostinT2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another piece here: http://globalnews.ca/...histler-race-survey/

I find it hard to believe that the reason that the hotel and liquor store aren't doing well is because of a one day a year closure for IMC.

The biggest problem with Pemberton is the absence of anything there. They have some events (though I think the Pemberton Music Festival has recently gone bust) but there's no lake, there's no hiking (at least that I know of), there's no gondola rides up to the alpine... It gives off this vibe of being a small rural town that would like to be left alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, athletes urinated on the farms there at Pemby meadows didn't help the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2c

Pemberton: Yeah it kind of sucks for a few people that cannot get out of town on race day while the bike leg is going on. I get that. There is also little economic benefit. However - I for one have eaten there several times, bought bike parts in the local bike shop, and taken my family there to ride the BMX track etc. I also go every year to the slow food ride in August where the same road is closed but nobody seems to care because there are more economic benefits. I have found the people in Pemberton to be very nice and friendly. (if you can, try the Mile One Eating House)

Farm Meadows Road: I have ridden this road out and back probably 30-40 times over the past 5 years and the only thing unsafe about the road is the odd local that decides to "buzz" the cyclists riding there. There is virtually NO traffic on that road. I have ridden the entire length of the road some days and not seen a single car drive by. It is beautiful, flat, and one of the safest roads around. Most of the drivers I have seen are very courteous and leave loads of room.

It would be a shame for the race to leave Whistler as I think the course is superior to Penticton.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triracerboy wrote:
Farm Meadows Road: I have ridden this road out and back probably 30-40 times over the past 5 years and the only thing unsafe about the road is the odd local that decides to "buzz" the cyclists riding there. There is virtually NO traffic on that road. I have ridden the entire length of the road some days and not seen a single car drive by. It is beautiful, flat, and one of the safest roads around. Most of the drivers I have seen are very courteous and leave loads of room.

I'm close enough to whistler I go up for my long rides probably 3-6 times each year, and my experience has been the same. Never had an issue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next