Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any wine experts out there
Quote | Reply
I only have enough familiarity with one red wine to say I can appreciate the taste difference depending on where it is from. If Pinot Noir comes from Burgundy, the Loire Valley, Tasmania or the Yarra Valley I like it. I usually spend about 20-30 dollars for a bottle. I like that the wine is thin and seems to have a mineral taste (to me anyway). If it comes from California, or New Zealand it seems to be too dense and not as subtle. In wine terms how would one describe the flavour difference?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Any wine experts out there [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No clue. I drink certain wines and say 'I like this'. What do I like about it? Dunno. The taste.

Why? Dunno. Because I do.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep it simple and don't bother with all those wine expert descriptions. You like it more or less or not like it more or less

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like some of the pinot noirs from Oregon that have a funky dirt smell. They go great with squab.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Katy needs to chime in here.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Re: Any wine experts out there [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
No clue. I drink certain wines and say 'I like this'. What do I like about it? Dunno. The taste.

Why? Dunno. Because I do.
this

I do find myself enjoying wine a lot more than I use to. I still don't know much about it though. One thing I am noticing is I like a lot of wines from Oregon. Not sure why yet just tastes good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub $10 - dinner or pizza wine
$10-$20 - special occasion
$20-$30 - windfall
Over$30 - too fancy for this Luddite
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rather than trying to explain the taste in your own personal terms, it would be a good idea to generate a log wines that you've had and enjoyed. If you present this list to a reasonably-educated wine consumer, they will be able to create a profile of wines and regions that suit your interests.

We have friends that we regularly share wine with, and over the last couple of years I've become very good at targeting which wine they'll enjoy based on the day's circumstances (i.e. food, activities, mood). I'd previously poured 1990 Pomerol that fell flat, and an hour later uncorked a $12 Rioja that became the talk of the table. Now - knowing and following their tastes - I can seek out very specific wines that deliver solid quality at a reasonable price.

Descriptive reviews are fine for the trained consumer, but for most of us personal taste is really all that matters. It's hard to enjoy drinking wine that you don't enjoy drinking; regardless of how good someone says it is.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Any wine experts out there [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One place where I see it would be helpful is when buying or ordering wine. The liquor control board in our province sends out a monthly mailer where they detail wines they have been able to access. In you average small town you won't see them unless you order them. So you have to rely to a certain degree on the description. I don't really care if the reviewer enjoys the wine so much as I'm looking for a way to access the taste I like via the reviewers description. Trial and error is working to some degree though and I agree a lot of the time it depends on circumstance and luck too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny video - the shit wine snobs say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXuRkiV1Hsk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
One place where I see it would be helpful is when buying or ordering wine. The liquor control board in our province sends out a monthly mailer where they detail wines they have been able to access. In you average small town you won't see them unless you order them. So you have to rely to a certain degree on the description. I don't really care if the reviewer enjoys the wine so much as I'm looking for a way to access the taste I like via the reviewers description. Trial and error is working to some degree though and I agree a lot of the time it depends on circumstance and luck too.

You can't buy whatever wine you want to?
Quote Reply
Re: Any wine experts out there [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can and the liquor control board has access to more types of wine than any wine buying entity in the world. But you won't see the good stuff in your average small town because most people won't buy it and the stores are small. But if you order it from their catalogue they send it to the store and don't even charge you extra to send it. Every month they send out a mailing of stuff they are promoting. The stuff they are promoting is often very good and at a good price point. They have buying power and buy large lots of very good wine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
In wine terms how would one describe the flavour difference?

Pretty simple. The one you like is Earthy and the other you don't care for is fruity. Let me guess... you like IPAs over a milk stout or Vienna lager?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Hickory said above Earthy vs Fruity. Or could also be classified as Old World vs New World.
You can do the same with most other wine varietals. Chardonnay for example, Old World(France) will be fruity(maybe green apple) with hint of oak vs New World(California) will be oaky(toffee, caramel) with hint of fruit.
The fun part is finding some really good Earthy, Old world style wines made in New World. Pinots- Domaine Serene(oregon), Merry Edwards or Landmark in Sonoma are some of my favorites.
Quote Reply
Re: Any wine experts out there [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes you and old hickory as better than the wine critics. I don't know what cherry and beetroot are supposed to taste like. I do like IPA over and ale. Although I have grown to like Guiness. Guiness if only 4 percent alcohol so you can have large and not feel it so much.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
If Pinot Noir comes from Burgundy, the Loire Valley, Tasmania or the Yarra Valley I like it.

You tried Pinots from Willamette Valley? Sounds like they're up your alley.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I only have enough familiarity with one red wine to say I can appreciate the taste difference depending on where it is from. If Pinot Noir comes from Burgundy, the Loire Valley, Tasmania or the Yarra Valley I like it. I usually spend about 20-30 dollars for a bottle. I like that the wine is thin and seems to have a mineral taste (to me anyway). If it comes from California, or New Zealand it seems to be too dense and not as subtle. In wine terms how would one describe the flavour difference?
yesterday or next week?

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm firmly in the old world when it comes to wine.

There's nothing like a good Rhone Red.

I hated Chardonney with a passion. It all tasted like over ripe fruit to me. Then I tried Chablis and other Burgundy Whites and fell in love with the grape. My family roots are in the Loire and I also love a good Sancerre.

ubdawg wrote:
As Hickory said above Earthy vs Fruity. Or could also be classified as Old World vs New World.
You can do the same with most other wine varietals. Chardonnay for example, Old World(France) will be fruity(maybe green apple) with hint of oak vs New World(California) will be oaky(toffee, caramel) with hint of fruit.
The fun part is finding some really good Earthy, Old world style wines made in New World. Pinots- Domaine Serene(oregon), Merry Edwards or Landmark in Sonoma are some of my favorites.
Quote Reply
Re: Any wine experts out there [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are a wine explorer if you are drinking aligote

Quote Reply
Re: Any wine experts out there [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you recommend a few bottles at a lower price point, that are good distinguishable examples of old vs new, including a Rhone?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
You are a wine explorer if you are drinking aligote

Dude....If you know about Aligote you don't need to be asking questions here. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Any wine experts out there [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Can you recommend a few bottles at a lower price point, that are good distinguishable examples of old vs new, including a Rhone?

Try this:
Go to Trader Joe's and get Rabbit Ridge Allure de Robles($4.99). This is my go-to table wine. Quality use to be top notch, but it has slipped a little. Still can't be beat it for $4.99. I use to win brown bag under $20 contests with this wine on a consistent basis.
For old world get a Gigondas(cheaper version of ChateauNuef du Pape).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you want to spend.

Trader Joe's actually has a pretty good cheap Chablis and Sancerre. They run about $15 I think. Most of the time you would find them for $30 and up.

Rhone is harder. I tend to not keep buying the same stuff over and over. We like to explore and my go to wine shop usually has new wines to try. Ignoring budget...I would try a Chateaunuef-du-Pape. That is my gold standard for a Rhone red. I usually keep a box of this around.

http://www.reversewinesnob.com/...one-reserve-box.html

It runs about $40 and is pretty damn close to a Chateaunuef.

ubdawg wrote:
sphere wrote:

Try this:
Go to Trader Joe's and get Rabbit Ridge Allure de Robles($4.99). This is my go-to table wine. Quality use to be top notch, but it has slipped a little. Still can't be beat it for $4.99. I use to win brown bag under $20 contests with this wine on a consistent basis.
For old world get a Gigondas(cheaper version of ChateauNuef du Pape).

Quote Reply