Login required to post replies

Thoughts on bike fit
Quote | Reply
Any tips or comments on this fit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on bike fit [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With your feet in that position it's hard to make a call on saddle height. Overall looks pretty decent but you need to "turtle" your head more. Check out Sebastian Kienle for a good example.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on bike fit [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The saddle is definitely not too high, I've made that mistake before and paid dearly via saddle sores. I'm still not sure how to turtle my head more without losing sight up the road.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a weird motion. First, you need to shrug your shoulders a bit. I don't know why that works but I think it opens up something in your upper spine. Next, drop your head towards your handlebars without allow it to rotate (e.g. if your nose is pointing at your shifters keep it pointed at your shifters while dropping your head as low as it will go). Finally, tilt your head to look up the road but do so by feeling like the top of your head is rotating to touch the base of your neck.

Here's another way to visualize it: imagine you're sitting in a chair with perfect posture. The way you look up the road it would be like just rotating your head straight back to look up: the top of your head brakes the plane of your spine. Imagine again you're in that chair with perfect posture. Now use your neck to project your head forward while keeping your head level (think of the potion a pigeon's head makes while walking). NOW try tilting your head to look up (this would be looking down the road.

Hopefully that helps.

The difference between a non-turtled head with a road helmet and a turtled head with an aero helmet could easily be 20 watts for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
It's a weird motion. First, you need to shrug your shoulders a bit. I don't know why that works but I think it opens up something in your upper spine. Next, drop your head towards your handlebars without allow it to rotate (e.g. if your nose is pointing at your shifters keep it pointed at your shifters while dropping your head as low as it will go). Finally, tilt your head to look up the road but do so by feeling like the top of your head is rotating to touch the base of your neck.

Here's another way to visualize it: imagine you're sitting in a chair with perfect posture. The way you look up the road it would be like just rotating your head straight back to look up: the top of your head brakes the plane of your spine. Imagine again you're in that chair with perfect posture. Now use your neck to project your head forward while keeping your head level (think of the potion a pigeon's head makes while walking). NOW try tilting your head to look up (this would be looking down the road.

Hopefully that helps.

The difference between a non-turtled head with a road helmet and a turtled head with an aero helmet could easily be 20 watts for you.

+1
Really solid position, you just need to get your head out of the wind.

Here's some examples:

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Please don't make too much of the foot, I promise it's flat at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Again, when my seat is too high the saddle sores are the clearest of indications. I lowered the front end and added a 10mm riser on the bar. I think I'm closer to the position you were suggesting. The camera morphed the bike a little, but I think that's just the shutterspeed being a little slow. Thoughts?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That head position looks much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:

Please don't make too much of the foot, I promise it's flat at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Again, when my seat is too high the saddle sores are the clearest of indications. I lowered the front end and added a 10mm riser on the bar. I think I'm closer to the position you were suggesting. The camera morphed the bike a little, but I think that's just the shutterspeed being a little slow. Thoughts?
I think your saddle is still a bit too high.

Position is generally really good on a bike that is quite a pain to fit.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the one thing i'd say is that you look a little too far forward to me. i'd consider moving everything back a couple of cms.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your saddle is too high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) saddle is too high and forward. Need to go down and back and then down a touch more

2) headphones in on the road? Not cool. I don't care if you say "it's just on the right ear. Not on the road side".

3) small chain ring for a picture posted in ST? Blasphemy!

4) do away with that frame mounted bottle. Tons of drag. Probably the worst place to put a bottle.

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Last edited by: T.Skelton: Apr 12, 17 2:04
Quote Reply