Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yeti Mountain Bikes
Quote | Reply
Anyone ride the ASR? Looking for an "XC bike with trail qualities" and this seems to fit the build based on what I have read. Its up against the Scott Spark and Spark RC.... Thanks for any input!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Yeti Mountain Bikes [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No personal experience, but the people I know who ride them make it a point to say how good the downhill performance is.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interested to see discussion here. Looking to branch out next year and want a versatile machine that can keep up on a gnarly trail ride or serve up a season of xterra racing. Have you looked at the Ibis Mojo 3 ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also- FWIW-
You can often find the "Beti" version on sale. As far as I know it is the same frame as the men's.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Yeti Mountain Bikes [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, will keep an eye out. I think only this years models have started to come 1x12 which is what I want. I could always convert a frame over. Going to demo an ASR this Friday from their headquarters!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few ASRs around here and the people who have them rave about them! They're all pretty quick riders, either national elite or top of national age groups. I haven't ridden an ASR, but I was looking for a XCish bike to use in the Pioneer MTB stage race earlier this year. Bikes on my list were the likes of Scott Spark, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Epic, Yeti ASR, Cannondale Scalpel etc. I was also looking for something that would be versatile once the race was done for riding local trails etc.

In the end I got a Yeti 4.5c. It has 'only' 114mm or rear travel, but a nice burly Pike with 140mm travel up front (can shorten it to 130). It climbs really well, and goes down even better. It feels incredibly plush, but doesn't wallow around which is nice. 1x11 XT, but I'm sure you can spec Eagle. I went with custom carbon wheels, which I reckon makes a big difference as well, and is worth the expense.
The 4.5 is probably a trail bike with XC qualities, so the other way round from your statement. For the Pioneer race it was spot on for me. An excellent 'pedaller' but with heaps of capability in the rough stuff. Only downside is that it doesn’t have a decent bottle cage option, it's on the bottom of the down tube, so for an XC race I need to use a camelback or similar. If I'm not in a hurry I just put a bottle in my jersey pocket and stop to drink.

Yetis are not cheap, at all, but I'm stoked to ride mine every time I get out on it, not sure I'd feel that way about a Spark/Epic/Top Fuel after a few months…
Quote Reply
Re: Yeti Mountain Bikes [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:
Interested to see discussion here. Looking to branch out next year and want a versatile machine that can keep up on a gnarly trail ride or serve up a season of xterra racing. Have you looked at the Ibis Mojo 3 ?

A pro on a steel singlespeed with no suspension could probably keep up with most amateurs riding FS 29ers. It all depends on your skill and exactly how technical the terrain you are riding but you will always be constrained in one area or another. Either your 5 inch trail bike will be heavier / slower than a dedicated XC machine, or your 4 inch XC bike will never allow you to ride a technical descent as fast as a rider of equivalent skill on a proper trail bike.

I'm sure you can find a bike that can do a good enough job at both but it's important to have realistic expectations. Mountain is not like road, there are extreme variances between local and regional conditions that heavily influence bike choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just bought one looking for the same thing it sounds like you are. I already have an Evil Following which has 120mm rear travel and is more of a 'trail' bike. I have only ridden the ASR 3 times, one of which was in an Xterra on the weekend. It was exactly what I was looking for. I have built it up light (under 24lbs including pedals, dropper post, bottle cage) and it rode great on the weekend. It's a better climber that my Following and didn't hold me back on any technical or steeper trails. The rear suspension doesn't feel as bottomless as The Following, but it's more than adequate.

I was after a lighter bike that climbed great but also had a slightly slacker head angle than most XC bikes so I could still have fun when I got to the top of the climb and so far the ASR is just what I was looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the same situation as you and I researched and came up with the ibis Ripley. There are two Ripley's. The LS (long slack) and original. I prefer the original geometry probably due to me being a creature of habit and 25 years mountain biking I didn't want to change my geometry spec that much. That being said the OG has been wonderful. Fast climber, and fast going down, I look forward to many years on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Yeti Mountain Bikes [YO mortaaay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, will check it out :)

Quote Reply
Re: Yeti Mountain Bikes [manamana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, this is what I am looking to hear!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manamana wrote:
I've just bought one looking for the same thing it sounds like you are. I already have an Evil Following which has 120mm rear travel and is more of a 'trail' bike. I have only ridden the ASR 3 times, one of which was in an Xterra on the weekend. It was exactly what I was looking for. I have built it up light (under 24lbs including pedals, dropper post, bottle cage) and it rode great on the weekend. It's a better climber that my Following and didn't hold me back on any technical or steeper trails. The rear suspension doesn't feel as bottomless as The Following, but it's more than adequate.

I was after a lighter bike that climbed great but also had a slightly slacker head angle than most XC bikes so I could still have fun when I got to the top of the climb and so far the ASR is just what I was looking for.

What do you have on it (compared to stock) to get it sub 24, and what size frame? Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, I have ridden the ASR and loved it. Great responsive bike that has good travel and compliance. Fun both up and down the hill.

That said, I bought a Rocky Mountain Element BC Edition and I would put this bike on par with the ASR or slightly better for my needs. The bike comes stock with heavier tires and 800mm (carbon) bars, but both can be updated if you need lighter tires and the bars can be trimmed. The stock build is a great XC bike with trail bike qualities.

The ride-9 system allows you to make slight adjustments to the geometry of the bike depending on what you are riding. Or you can just set it and forget it.

I have put about 350 miles on this bike since January, and I am loving it!

Just another bike to consider if you are open to other options. I don't think you can go wrong with the ASR if that is your choice.

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, the ASR is an xc race bike. Sure specing a 120mm fork (which is pretty popular on the Front Range) gives it a semblance of a trail bike feel. It's pretty capable in that regard (as are most bikes) depending on the pilot. The back end is pretty simplistic in this day and age and IMO this is what will give it away as a pure xc ride.

My wife (this years 710 small, largely stock and ~25-26#) and son (last years 910? - not stock ~22#) are on Sparks and while the cockpit is a bit cluttered I'd gladly race a Spark in a shorter race if that was my option - 900 series as the 27.5s surprisingly seem to build up heavy. the new 900 series allegedly rides really nice but this is coming from factory riders so take that with a grain of salt.

If you're heading to hq, give the 4.5 a shot. word is these can be easily built up ~24-25# (depending on the size) without sacrificing too much durability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got mine as a frame only and built it up from parts I already had plus buying a few more. I'm not sure how the complete bikes come spec'd, but mine is...

Large turq frame (turquoise, think this adds some weight due to the paint?)
Fox Float DPS shock and Reba RL 120mm fork with remote lockout removed
XTR shifter and derailleur 1x11
Light Bicycle carbon rims with DT 240 hubs
Race Face Next SL handlebars
Race Face Turbine 50mm stem
ESI grips
Sram XX1 Quarq cranks with 32t chainring
XTR M9000 race brakes
Quaxar Iris rotors 180mm front 160mm rear
Marzocchi dropper post (same as Fox transfer)
Racing Ralph's EVO Snakeskin 2.25
Carbon saddle
Sram X01 Cassette
Xpedo pedals
23.5lbs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quote manamana]I got mine as a frame only and built it up from parts I already had plus buying a few more. I'm not sure how the complete bikes come spec'd, but mine is...
Large turq frame (turquoise, think this adds some weight due to the paint?)
Fox Float DPS shock and Reba RL 120mm fork with remote lockout removed
XTR shifter and derailleur 1x11
Light Bicycle carbon rims with DT 240 hubs
Race Face Next SL handlebars
Race Face Turbine 50mm stem
ESI grips
Sram XX1 Quarq cranks with 32t chainring
XTR M9000 race brakes
Quaxar Iris rotors 180mm front 160mm rear
Marzocchi dropper post (same as Fox transfer)
Racing Ralph's EVO Snakeskin 2.25
Carbon saddle
Sram X01 Cassette
Xpedo pedals
23.5lbs[/quote]
THIS sounds perfect :) And the right size! My birthday is in less than 2 months.. just sayin' ;)

Quote Reply
Re: Yeti Mountain Bikes [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:

I think the Ibis Ripley may be a better racing bike with a hint of trail quality. FWIW, I demo'ed a Yeti ASR yesterday here in Denver (they are HQ locally) and LOVED it... Just ordered one today. A little more slack than what I had (2013 Giant Anthem Advanced), 120mm shock up front. Handled downhills quite well, and rocks the climbs. Great bike!

Quote Reply