Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's up with all the noseless saddles??
Quote | Reply
Ok, forgive the ignorance but I have not bought a saddle in a long time. But to make a long story short, I bought a new bike last year, stopped being a lazy idiot and finally put my old Specialized Tritip saddle on. Taking a look at it... It has cuts and scrapes from a crash, is yellow from sweat, and has grease stains all over it from my half ass home mechanic cleanings. So I'm thinking it may be time for a new saddle. Seems noseless was unique when I bought this bad boy 6 years ago, but now it's everywhere! What's the deal? Am I missing something? Tried searches but couldn't get relevant info.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with all the noseless saddles?? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They allow a very forward position, your hips can roll, and are comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tritip was part of the 1st gen of tri saddles. Since people were riding up on the nose the idea was to put more padding there.

The "noseless" saddles are designed for rotating your hips and riding in a forward position. You'll be bearing your weight on your taint instead of your sit bones, so the saddles have a split nose or cutouts so you are sitting on bone and not the soft tissue in the middle.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of us were rather uncomfortable in aggressive positions on conventional saddles. More padding can just make soft tissue discomfort worse. Also there's the possibility of numbness where you really, really, don't want numbness. Some or all of the noseless saddles make a huge difference in this regard and can make a more rolled forward pelvis position far more comfortable and sustainable and they massively reduce or completely eliminate the health risk. I've tried the ISM Adamo Breakaway, Time Trial and Attack. I bought an Attack and really like it. It's called the PN1.0 now.

P.S.
If you decide to try one, especially a pronge nosed saddle like the ISM Adamo line, don't decide too quickly. Experiences appear to vary quite a bit. Some people find these comfy from day one but many others, myself included, find them really uncomfortable at first. Your weight is placed in a different place and the adaptation you've already got for conventional saddles doesn't carry over. So, in my case at least, I needed to adapt to this style of saddle and was quite sore during and after the first few rides. But suddenly in the middle of week 3 it went from a torture device to the comfiest saddle I've used. That was 2.5years ago. Now I'm thinking something a smidge narrower might be better. Might try the Cobb JOF in the near future.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Apr 10, 17 2:40
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with all the noseless saddles?? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Lots of us were rather uncomfortable in aggressive positions on conventional saddles. More padding can just make soft tissue discomfort worse. Also there's the possibility of numbness where you really, really, don't want numbness. Some or all of the noseless saddles make a huge difference in this regard and can make a more rolled forward pelvis position far more comfortable and sustainable and they massively reduce or completely eliminate the health risk. I've tried the ISM Adamo Breakaway, Time Trial and Attack. I bought an Attack and really like it. It's called the PN1.0 now.

P.S.
If you decide to try one, especially a pronge nosed saddle like the ISM Adamo line, don't decide too quickly. Experiences appear to vary quite a bit. Some people find these comfy from day one but many others, myself included, find them really uncomfortable at first. Your weight is placed in a different place and the adaptation you've already got for conventional saddles doesn't carry over. So, in my case at least, I needed to adapt to this style of saddle and was quite sore during and after the first few rides. But suddenly in the middle of week 3 it went from a torture device to the comfiest saddle I've used. That was 2.5years ago. Now I'm thinking something a smidge narrower might be better. Might try the Cobb JOF in the near future.

All very true. Padding just "numbs" feelings (deadens might be a better word in this context).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're looking for something just a "smidge narrower", rather than buying a whole new saddle, might just want to try a few zip ties around the rails up front first.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with all the noseless saddles?? [BGNole97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion.
I actually tried that before a long while back and I didn't find it made a lot of difference but it might be worth another try. If that doesn't help I might consider one of the following (if at all possible I'll get test saddles first):

Cobb JOF
Dash Stage/Strike (the cheaper versions!)
Specialized Power (I'm not sure about this for the Tri bike although I suspect it would work for me on the road bike)
Specialized Sitero

Any other suggestions?

I might be able to get test saddles locally from a Specialized dealer. Unlikely to be possible for Dash and Cobb I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My LBS has trial Adamo and Cobb saddles, so call around. They are lime green and say "test" (or something like that) on them so I'm sure there are more out there. Can't speak for Dash testers.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I actually tried that before a long while back and I didn't find it made a lot of difference but it might be worth another try. If that doesn't help I might consider one of the following (if at all possible I'll get test saddles first):

Cobb JOF
Specialized Power (I'm not sure about this for the Tri bike although I suspect it would work for me on the road bike)
Specialized Sitero

Any other suggestions?

I might be able to get test saddles locally from a Specialized dealer. Unlikely to be possible for Dash and Cobb I think.

I tried my Specialized Power on my tri bike and wasn't a big fan. I love it on my road bike. I ride a fairly aggressive road position and it allows plenty of pelvic tilt but when rotate you're resting right on your taint and it can get painful after a while if you're really far forward like on a TT bike. I rode a COBB Max on my TT bike as well and was never a fan. I tried a friends ISM Adamo Road and loved it. Road it for a few weeks on the trainer and just picked up my own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden a Dash Tri.7 for ... 4+ years now. Have sat on various models of Adamo, Cobb, Specialized, etc over those years (I used to fit, now only do it on ST ;)) and nothing has compared to the Dash. It has everything you need (properly spaced seat bone seating area with slightly varying widths depending on 'aggressiveness' of pelvic roll) and nothing you don't (all that extra crap you don't sit on).
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with all the noseless saddles?? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
I have ridden a Dash Tri.7 for ... 4+ years now. Have sat on various models of Adamo, Cobb, Specialized, etc over those years (I used to fit, now only do it on ST ;)) and nothing has compared to the Dash. It has everything you need (properly spaced seat bone seating area with slightly varying widths depending on 'aggressiveness' of pelvic roll) and nothing you don't (all that extra crap you don't sit on).

X2. Mine was custom built for my small frame; I have been on it for 3+ years after being on ISM and Cobb. Love it; you might contact Dash directly and see if they might have a loaner program.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with all the noseless saddles?? [jarret_g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jarret_g wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Cobb JOF
Specialized Sitero

Any other suggestions?

I tried my Specialized Power on my tri bike and wasn't a big fan. I love it on my road bike. I ride a fairly aggressive road position and it allows plenty of pelvic tilt but when rotate you're resting right on your taint and it can get painful after a while if you're really far forward like on a TT bike. I rode a COBB Max on my TT bike as well and was never a fan. I tried a friends ISM Adamo Road and loved it. Road it for a few weeks on the trainer and just picked up my own.

I agree about the power saddle, i have been road racing for years on the Arione but never completely happy. I just tried the power saddle last week and it was the first time i was able to ride with zero chafing and numbness. I might try it for a TT bike but i would set it up differently, likely 1cm forward and slightly tilted down, 2-3 degrees. On the road bike the saddle is level or approximately 1 degree nose down and 5-7mm forward from previous Arione.

Edit: i think the power saddle is ideally ridden more rearward. I always nosed the arione, but the power saddle has a great sweet spot in the middle and the rear is quite nice as well. That is why i moved the saddle position forward since i effectively rode the Arione on the nose in both the road and TT positions.
Last edited by: Ron_Burgundy: Apr 10, 17 13:29
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with all the noseless saddles?? [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The power saddle is a neat rig. If you mount it with the rails at level the saddle is actually tilted down about a degree or two. For you mount the saddle level the rails are tilted up. I tried it on my road bike changing only the tilt and found the nose down position to feel better.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with all the noseless saddles?? [jarret_g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jarret_g wrote:
The power saddle is a neat rig. If you mount it with the rails at level the saddle is actually tilted down about a degree or two. For you mount the saddle level the rails are tilted up. I tried it on my road bike changing only the tilt and found the nose down position to feel better.

I noticed the same thing, the rails are level but the nose is pointed down slightly. For replication sake i am using a 6 inch level on the nose to determine positioning. I did make a few saddle height adjustments as well since the saddle is 240mm long and "shorter" in vertical height compared to the previous saddle (Arione).

Very small adjustments created significantly different sensations, i would strongly suggest to those trying the saddle out to give it some time and play around with the exact positioning.
Quote Reply
Re: What's up with all the noseless saddles?? [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
jarret_g wrote:

I noticed the same thing, the rails are level but the nose is pointed down slightly. For replication sake i am using a 6 inch level on the nose to determine positioning. I did make a few saddle height adjustments as well since the saddle is 240mm long and "shorter" in vertical height compared to the previous saddle (Arione).

Very small adjustments created significantly different sensations, i would strongly suggest to those trying the saddle out to give it some time and play around with the exact positioning.

This is my exact experience also. There was a reasonably small zone of power saddle tilt that felt good and my final saddle angle is same as yours.

Also, the power is a limited fore-aft movement sweet spot saddle. Initially I was worried as I used to ride very forward on my Romin evo during hard efforts but I've adapted amazing to the power. I feel the hip rotation allowance for the power is great to ride low in the drops.
Quote Reply