Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

QRing - Qring Qarbon (standard) or QXL
Quote | Reply
I can't decide which to go for for me new bike. My LBS does not provide trial (no refund).

I have Qring right now and I am like (I guess don't dislike it). I am getting a new bike and I want to get a new QRing QXL.

I do mainly half distance ironman, about 210-220w average, average 88-90rpm.

Rotor says QXL is for high power (well what is "high"?), good for high candence (again, what is "high"), and easier to maintain high cadence. Sounds good so far... but then it says its recommended for high intensity efforts.

So which should I get... QXL or stick with Qring
Quote Reply
Re: QRing - Qring Qarbon (standard) or QXL [CaptainSnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:
I can't decide which to go for for me new bike. My LBS does not provide trial (no refund).

I have Qring right now and I am like (I guess don't dislike it). I am getting a new bike and I want to get a new QRing QXL.

I do mainly half distance ironman, about 210-220w average, average 88-90rpm.

Rotor says QXL is for high power (well what is "high"?), good for high candence (again, what is "high"), and easier to maintain high cadence. Sounds good so far... but then it says its recommended for high intensity efforts.

So which should I get... QXL or stick with Qring

I purchased a Qarbon 53t after about a year of riding on a 52t Rotor oval chainring and enjoy it. My take on the rings is that I tend to ride at a threshold torque, more than I ride at a threshold power or specific rpm. So, I think that if you tend to "spin" at relatively low torque, you might not notice much of the oval effect, but moments where you're highly loaded and "mashing" at whatever the rpm may be, that's where you'd notice the difference in instantaneous moment-arm between pedals near vertical and horizontal.

I do notice that if I was spinning at higher cadence at light load and shifting the rear gears I was more likely to drop the chain on the chainring. I remedied this by learning to keep more chain tension while shifting and I also installed a chain catcher just in case. I imagine this problem could get worse with QXL, but still manageable.

If I could get a larger chainring in 110BCD I would try QXL, but since I'm limited to 53t I've decided to stick with the Qarbon 53t for now. If I recall correctly, 53t Qring is like a 56t peak radius and about 50t minimum radius.
Quote Reply