Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DIY Disc Wheel Cover - Tri spoke
Quote | Reply
I though i'd post my recent DIY disc wheel cover experience. I've previously made them fitted to standard spoked wheels and was happy with there performance. I have a set of Nimble Crosswinds and thought i'd try fabricating a cover to fit these. My main interest in this project was to see if a flat disc was a better performer than the more toroidal shaped disc in my particular frame.

I used HD velcro to fit the cover, mainly because it requires no permanent fixing to the wheel (fully reversible) and ease of removal. I've used this on my previous covers and it's been reliable in a number of races. I used 0.8mm polycarbonate sheeting for this cover, which I purchased from a local hardware retailer on a 5m roll.

I velcro 2 wide straps over each spoke to the drive side cover.

Non-drive side cut and ready. As it was only 0.8mm thick, I could easily cut it with scissors.

I put a ring of the 'hook' part of the velcro around the outside of cover. I then attached some HD foam with velco either side to this. The foam is the width of the rim and the non-drive side then connected to this. The T pieces between the spokes were made the same way.

Both sides on. In the past i've used spray paint to paint the cover, but it scratches and marks easily. This time I decided to use carbon fibre adhesive contact (Ebay). This matches the rim well.

I then used some black insulation tape to seal the cover edge. The tape has a gloss finish, I might look around for one with a matt finish to better match the contact. I've taken it for a couple of short rides and it seems solid and reliable. I will do some drag comparisons with my other wheel combinations when I get a chance.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Disc Wheel Cover - Tri spoke [nckdly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Neat. There is a thread on this forum about diy wheel covers.

I used to have a Nimble Crosswind years ago. It came with an additional rear hub, Campy I think. If you'd like it let me know.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Disc Wheel Cover - Tri spoke [nckdly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love it! I've thought about picking up an H3 rear and putting a disc cover on it.
Quote Reply