Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: legal questions: my family is a springer episode [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Interesting. Never even thought to look into this before. I just assumed the head of whatever agency or department was the highest paid person in that agency or department. Makes sense that very specialized positions that pay a ton in private industry would get special pay scales.

It's definitely interesting. I'd like to hear the explanation of why the VA has so many highly-paid doctors as compared to say NIH or CDC.
Quote Reply
Re: legal questions: my family is a springer episode [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]
I looked at some other federal agencies and it looks like the doctors (medical officers) are normally the highest paid folks at those agencies. For example, medical officers at DOJ are paid more than the two most prominent positions at DOJ (Attorney General and FBI Director), which is kind of funny given that the AG is the head of DOJ.

I did some brief research and there's an exemption for physicians from the usual GS, SES, or EX pay scale and that would be the GP scale.
  • GP - Physicians and dentists covered by the General Schedule classification system and GS base pay ranges who receive title 38 market pay instead of locality pay (formerly GS).

The Title 38 market pay can go up to $400,000 depending on specialty.

Looks like there are a few specialty positions in other Departments that have their own payscale that allows salaries higher than the heads of the Departments. For example, Dept. of the Treasury has an NB scale that can pay higher than the Secretary.

Interesting. Never even thought to look into this before. I just assumed the head of whatever agency or department was the highest paid person in that agency or department. Makes sense that very specialized positions that pay a ton in private industry would get special pay scales.[/quote]

It gets a little confusing for me since I don't work in that area but I know total compensation includes base pay, market pay and incentive pay (i.e. performance). For example, the market pay back in 2015 was 375K I think but I remember seeing a few outliers earning slightly more than 400k. Fast forward two FYs later, and in increase of market pay to 400k, you will probably guess like me that a few outliers are probably in the 425-450k range - probably not at 500k yet like I initially suggested. This is still well below the private sector and the VA will need to continually increase to compete for the best doctors available.
Quote Reply
Re: legal questions: my family is a springer episode [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Interesting. Never even thought to look into this before. I just assumed the head of whatever agency or department was the highest paid person in that agency or department. Makes sense that very specialized positions that pay a ton in private industry would get special pay scales.

It's definitely interesting. I'd like to hear the explanation of why the VA has so many highly-paid doctors as compared to say NIH or CDC.

Maybe because the docs at NIH or CDC are mostly research docs as opposed to the specialized docs and surgeons that are employed by the VA. That's my initial thought.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: legal questions: my family is a springer episode [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

The lady at Cal EPA who has been trying to put me out of business for the last decade pulls in over $300k a year.

Let me guess.... she hit you up for some anal action, you politely refused because she is too much woman for you to handle (and you're happily married), she got upset at your refusal, and has been to nail your balls to the wall ever since?

Edit: Madduck - not even close to being a springer episode.....unless he banged his mom and his sister...at the same time
Last edited by: Andrew69: Apr 8, 17 2:21
Quote Reply
Re: legal questions: my family is a springer episode [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:

Edit: Madduck - not even close to being a springer episode.....unless he banged his mom and his sister...at the same time

yeah...well...not going to do any digging for those pics, so we'll just have to let that one hang in the balance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: legal questions: my family is a springer episode [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
Duffy wrote:

The lady at Cal EPA who has been trying to put me out of business for the last decade pulls in over $300k a year.

Let me guess.... she hit you up for some anal action, you politely refused because she is too much woman for you to handle (and you're happily married), she got upset at your refusal, and has been to nail your balls to the wall ever since?

No it stemmed from phone conversation she had with my wife when she was a low level, incompetent, county employee. Basically she was making a demand of a client that was something she had no authority to do and was called on it, and lost.

She's been trying to get revenge ever since. She once told me to my face that she was going to put us out of business. I showed her a picture of my (then) 7 year old son and told her that my business feeds and clothes him and that I'd protect him by any means necessary.

Last time I met with her in person I recorded everything. I'm pretty sure she was doing the same. She was speaking in a very measured and careful way.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: legal questions: my family is a springer episode [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TBH, I always knew it was going to be something like that, but in the spirit of the thread, I dramatised it :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next