Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Back Pain Doctor in Philly Suburbs
Quote | Reply
Can anyone recommend a doctor for back pain in the Philly suburbs? Off-season time on the trainer seems to have taken a toll on my lower back and I'd like to get it checked out.
Quote Reply
Re: Back Pain Doctor in Philly Suburbs [Mdgaines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mdgaines wrote:
Can anyone recommend a doctor for back pain in the Philly suburbs? Off-season time on the trainer seems to have taken a toll on my lower back and I'd like to get it checked out.

John King-Marino in Doylestown. Experienced triathlete chiropractor but knows a lot of the other techniques like ART etc.

He treats lots of top endurance athletes, including some world class marathoners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you provide some more background on what is bothering you? Do you have a history of back pain? You're asking for doctor recommendations, but in my 20 years competing as an endurance athlete I've rarely come across a doctor that understands endurance atheletes and their injuries. You're better off with a knowledgeable therapist or the like. Depending on the injury you may just have a tight psoas or something that's causing back pain.

In the Philly area the only two that have worked for me are Barry Hooper in Media and Rob Mahon in Philly. Both are a bit non traditional and don't take insurance, but they get to the bottom of your issue on day one. Often it only requires one visit. They don't work on the twice weekly visit model that slowly drains your wallet and ends up being more costly and timely in the long run even with insurance. Barry has worked with tons of elite endurance athletes including Villanova distance runners and Rob is the brother of Terrance Mahon who at one point led the Mammoth track club and coached Ryan Hall and Deena Castor.

And yes I've been to John King-Marino and several other ART/Chiro guys that couldn't get to the bottom of my issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mdgaines wrote:

I know this is unsolicited but please be careful with back pain. This i really a weird area. Just take a look at Tiger Woods and he had arguably access to the best doctors available.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Back Pain Doctor in Philly Suburbs [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Mdgaines wrote:

John King-Marino in Doylestown. Experienced triathlete chiropractor but knows a lot of the other techniques like ART etc.

He treats lots of top endurance athletes, including some world class marathoners

Yea, Dr. Johnny is really the end-all be-all of this question. I commute 90' every month or so to see him for maintenance, and because he's a cool ass dude.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how far out of Philly and which direction you want to go, but Dr. Wenger at Princeton Sports Medicine did a fantastic job for my lower back issues - he's an active triathlete and overall endurance athlete as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Back Pain Doctor in Philly Suburbs [run2tri80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
run2tri80 wrote:
Can you provide some more background on what is bothering you? Do you have a history of back pain? You're asking for doctor recommendations, but in my 20 years competing as an endurance athlete I've rarely come across a doctor that understands endurance atheletes and their injuries. You're better off with a knowledgeable therapist or the like. Depending on the injury you may just have a tight psoas or something that's causing back pain.

In the Philly area the only two that have worked for me are Barry Hooper in Media and Rob Mahon in Philly. Both are a bit non traditional and don't take insurance, but they get to the bottom of your issue on day one. Often it only requires one visit. They don't work on the twice weekly visit model that slowly drains your wallet and ends up being more costly and timely in the long run even with insurance. Barry has worked with tons of elite endurance athletes including Villanova distance runners and Rob is the brother of Terrance Mahon who at one point led the Mammoth track club and coached Ryan Hall and Deena Castor.

And yes I've been to John King-Marino and several other ART/Chiro guys that couldn't get to the bottom of my issue.

I heard the same thing. having some issues also. know anyone on Long Island?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in the suburbs for most of the docs but suburban PT locations, I've had great luck with Penn sports med (full disclosure, I work at Penn). Chris Plastaras does a lot of back stuff and I also saw Kate Temme for a knee injury. I think she said she was a triathlete but in any case she understood what I was facing. So far I am 2 for 2 with very different injuries (one neck one knee) where they worked me up with minimal intervention and got me in a limited program to fix it and hopefully never go back. They work closely with their PTs and the PT folks deal with all the sports teams, so they understand sports injuries in type A people wanting to get back out there (sure the Quakers aren't typically vying for National Championships, but it's legit D1 sport).
Quote Reply