Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
It's usually not my tendons and joints that suffer, it is the muscle itself.

The muscle is the fastest to recover. Even more evidence that you'll be fine.

That 'deep muscle ache' you get from running is a sign you are doing it right. Of course, this is moderation - if youre pounding yourself into the ground, thats overtraining, but that's pretty tough (?impossible) to do at <25mpw.

Remember that running has the impact adaptation aspect that cycling and swimming don't. Swimming (and cycling) can be crushingly hard, but I never get the same type of deep muscle ache/deadleg that I get from running a ton of miles including some fast ones in swim/bike.

The key is not to immediately give up on running once you get that achy leg muscle feeling. Pull it back if you have to for a day or two, and once it's improving, get right out there again. I run on significant 'dead legs' pretty much continuously at my current 80+mpw regimen - there isn't a single full off day (I run 7 days per week) and recovery days are at least 8 miles. Seriously, the best I ever feel all week is 7/10, and usually 4-6 of 10. I don't run on fresh legs until the taper/race when I'm in this sort of a build (16+ wks and counting)

Feels good to read that last paragraph of yours. I'm training for a 100 at the end of May and have went out there many days feeling trashed but keep putting in the miles because I know that I need the time on my feet. It's amazing how I can now run 20, 30, 40 mile runs and get out there the day after those efforts.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [SwiftRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Officially started today. 20 mins on the treadmill

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicely done! Did you run 20 minutes straight or a run/walk combination. I am getting back into runnin as well after 18 months of fighting an IT band injury. My coach had been having me use a 10/1 run/walk ratio to simulate Ironman aid stations but I was struggling. I thought back to a few years ago and rememebered I was actually much faster using a 4/1 ratio vs 5/1 or 10/1. I tried that again yesterday and it was the first good run I'd had in a long time. Unfortunately heart rate was sky high as I have no aerobic base when it comes to running. I'll get there, hopefully!
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Next up #breaking20

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8mins run not fast / 1 walk until 20 mins was up, then 4 minutes walk at 20% incline to stretch out

Then weights after that

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great start!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Atta guy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read through most, but not all, of this thread, so please don't drag me if I hit upon anything redundant. There has been all sorts of useful information in this thread, but I wanted to chime in with some auxiliary materials as food for thought. Mobility and functional movement are good areas to explore in this endeavor. I suggest this because it's often overlooked but pays dividends. Doing a search for mobility WOD and running is a good start. Ready to Run by Kelly Starett is easy enough to digest for this specific application.
Also, pose running is a method that can really click for some people. Google Valerie Hunt + runatx for a ton of informative videos on the matter.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Next up #breaking20

I could have easily gone 30 minutes straight, I think. I just don't want to overdo it, which is also why I'm going to be running on the dreadmill for a while.

Stepped on the scale, I'm at 210 right now. Gotta be careful until the weight comes down and ankle strength builds up

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat still, been back at running for 5 weeks now, and my biggest challenge is not overdoing it. It's frustrating, but it's the price I pay for being so lazy for the last while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously also get outside for brisk speed walks. Nothing takes weight off of me like a good long brisk walk or hike. Hills especially. Go hike the bluff trail or power walk through point pleasant park and push the uphills. You'll gain great leg and aerobic strength with minimal chance of injury.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did not read the whole thread, so do not know if the achillis came up already.
Anyway, when I restarted running, I got achillis issues, which I did not have as a younger runner.
What helped was calve stretching.
If you do not have achillis issues, just ignore this post.
Quote Reply
Re: getting re-started with running - advice... [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I'm down to #203 now. running hasn't been consistent, but I've been getting out probably once a week, and I'm now trying to make it more consistent. Also getting off the treadmill, did a hilly 3mile loop from the house last night, no stopping except once to cross the street.

Think I might have pushed the longer hill a little too hard, my right hamstring / glute is a little sore this morning.

Goal weight - #180 by February, but I want to keep as much muscle mass as I can. My swimming has definitely been suffering a bit as I'm dropping weight, not as much energy to push hard, so I'm not paying as close attention to the clock as I usually would. Losing weight sucks....

eta - I was at the playground with the little man, and tried to do some pull-ups. last time I tried I couldn't do any. Did 2! Felt good about that...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Aug 23, 17 4:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next