Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Steve Tilford Passes Away
Quote | Reply
After nearly losing one of my former teammates last year to a horrible cycling accident, I'm gutted to learn he passed away last night in a car accident driving back to Kansas. I know many on here followed Steve and thought I would let group know.

Keep Trudi and Tucker in your thoughts guys.

Re: Steve Tilford Passes Away [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn. Just after he mostly recovered from his head injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
After nearly losing one of my former teammates last year to a horrible cycling accident, I'm gutted to learn he passed away last night in a car accident driving back to Kansas. I know many on here followed Steve and thought I would let group know.

Keep Trudi and Tucker in your thoughts guys.

I read his blog regularly. A racing legend. Truly horrible after his recent crash and recovery. It sounds like a grim passing too.

RIP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw that this morning.
Crazy, to say the least.

Not many details. Seems like they survived the first crash involving their vehicle relatively unharmed, then a second semi hit the scene of the original accident which is what took Steve's life? Not fact, just what I've gathered.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Steve Tilford Passes Away [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real deal. No diva. He'd race anything just to race. My cycling hero. RIP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even though this article is almost 20 years old, I think it captures Steve Tilford better than most anything else. The fact that he was such an active racer at his age after a pro career is evidence alone how much he really just loved the sport.

https://truebs.com/...ford-is-why-we-ride/

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many people may not know that Steve Tilford also did a few triathlons.

It was the later 80's and I was doing a triathlon in Manhattan Kansas when a guy went ripping by me on the multi lap bike like I was standing still. I kept tabs on the top people and was checking out the results to see an unfamiliar name had won....he had a mediocre swim, incredible bike split, and good run spit to win. Some guy named Steve Tilford....I wondered how the guy managed to bike that fast and why I had never heard of him before? Was this his first one? Where did he come from?....

Later I learned Tilford was a pro cyclist dabbling in triathlon and it all made sense....

He used to come up from Topeka Kansas and ski the Birkie and finish high in the field..I always wondered how much snow time he actually got to perform that well....

he was a true endurance multisporter......RIP
Quote Reply
Re: Steve Tilford Passes Away [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very tragic--RIP. A little more detail from Bicycling.com:

http://www.bicycling.com/racing/former-professional-cyclist-steve-tilford-dies-in-car-crash?utm_campaign=Bicycling&utm_source=bicycling.com&utm_medium=newsletter&smartcode=YN_0024564325_0001606862&sha1hashlower=704f0fadc85551d6498a489d3ce45edfbaea7443&md5hash=3281137f4ca946cb87f9058e17df9375

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sad and terrible news.

I have been a regular reader of Steve's blog for many years. I loved the passion the honesty and the outspokeness. He truly loved the sport of cycling.

There were even condolences via social media from Lance Armstrong - someone who Steve had gone after, and openly called-out many times in his blog over the years!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Steve Tilford Passes Away [tate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ughhh, that's even more tragic, and just stupid luck. One accident becomes bigger crash when others domino into it. The twitter feed was full of tributes to Tilford, and if it means anything, what they say about your impact when you are gone...This was an incredible guy (never met him, only knew of the name). Thoughts and prayers to his friends and family.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Steve Tilford Passes Away [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
Even though this article is almost 20 years old, I think it captures Steve Tilford better than most anything else. The fact that he was such an active racer at his age after a pro career is evidence alone how much he really just loved the sport.

https://truebs.com/...ford-is-why-we-ride/

That was written in 1998 and describes Tilford as being in the "winter of his career."

Last year he raced in like 30-40 P12 races, usually finishing in single digits. Including some biggies, like USAC Road Nationals and the Joe Martin Stage Race (non-UCI version).

At 57 when he could have been dominating the 50+ masters races, he instead chose to race the fastest people he could, and usually gave them about all they could handle.

The rest of us could only hope our "winters" are handled half that gracefully.
Quote Reply
Re: Steve Tilford Passes Away [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank goodness he didn't jump in the 55+ stuff, but it would have been an honor to say I raced "with" him.
Guys I've raced with who knew him would, when thinking of not racing bc of conditions or fatigue or the course would ask, What would Tilly do?
Then they'd race.
Quote Reply
Re: Steve Tilford Passes Away [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 57 when he could have been dominating the 50+ masters races, he instead chose to race the fastest people he could....

----------------

Damn, that's nothing but respect right there. Because you always here the opposite, "why is a former pro allowed to race in my AG now that he's 10 years removed from racing...etc".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply