Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Port v. Sherry
Quote | Reply
So I've been a port drinker since my early 20s and really enjoyed it. Vintage for a special occasion and 6 grapes or something similar for normal glasses. Usually have it after dinner at a steak house or at home when the mood strikes which isn't overly frequent.

I tried sherry over the weekend and found it interesting. Like a light bodied less sweet port. Note it was Harvey's bristol cream (which describes the finish not the contents) so not pricey. I have to admit I like the port in that price range more, but all things considered I'd really enjoyed it.

Should I try some of the more expensive stuff or stick with port. Anyone a drinker of either of these have suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Port v. Sherry [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chiming in to follow. i enjoy port. not sure i've tried sherry. i will now, out of curiosity. i'll, pardon the pun, report back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the Officer's Mess in the UK Army - Sherry was a pre dinner drink and port a post dinner drink - cannot get my head around drinking it at any other times!!! :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried Ice Wine?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Port v. Sherry [wdrhoads] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wdrhoads wrote:
chiming in to follow. i enjoy port. not sure i've tried sherry. i will now, out of curiosity. i'll, pardon the pun, report back.

I'd like one hear your thoughts. Try the Harvey's so we both have the same baseline (Also it should be less than 20 bucks)
Quote Reply
Re: Port v. Sherry [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
In the Officer's Mess in the UK Army - Sherry was a pre dinner drink and port a post dinner drink - cannot get my head around drinking it at any other times!!! :-)

Do you know the Bishop of Norwich?
Quote Reply
Re: Port v. Sherry [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Have you tried Ice Wine?

Yes it's good but a little too sweet for my tastes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second Cousin!!! :-) and please pronounce his name correctly!!! :-)

Graham Wilson
Last edited by: feman: Apr 5, 17 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: Port v. Sherry [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
Second Cousin!!! :-) and please pronounce his name correctly!!! :-)

I thought the response was different
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now had to Google that one - we were Paratroopers and less subtle - normally it would be, " pass the bloody port, you lazy bugger." Or something similar!! :-)

Graham Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://store.messinahof.com/SoleraTexasSherry

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ice wine, like Sauternes, is very nice with foie gras.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried some 20 dollar sherry that was supposed to be highly rated on a few occasions. My opinion stick to port. Port is great. A good bottle for about the same price as a good bottle of wine and twice the enjoyment.

windywave wrote:
So I've been a port drinker since my early 20s and really enjoyed it. Vintage for a special occasion and 6 grapes or something similar for normal glasses. Usually have it after dinner at a steak house or at home when the mood strikes which isn't overly frequent.

I tried sherry over the weekend and found it interesting. Like a light bodied less sweet port. Note it was Harvey's bristol cream (which describes the finish not the contents) so not pricey. I have to admit I like the port in that price range more, but all things considered I'd really enjoyed it.

Should I try some of the more expensive stuff or stick with port. Anyone a drinker of either of these have suggestions?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try St. Julian's Solera Cream Sherry...one of the more unexpected US produced sherries you will find.

Quote | Reply
Very different drinks. Sherry is from a white grape, port from a red. Sherry is fully fermented then fortified With brandy, port is only partially fermented, so higher residual sugar before brandy fortification.
I find the quality of the brandy determined the quality of the drink.
And like you, I prefer ports. Just more interesting and complex.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Port v. Sherry [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was at the wine store thinking about this so I picked up a bottle of Maderia. It is really nice. In think more like port than sherry and nice and sweet. But I can't really remember what sherry tastes like that well so not so sure. Anyway it is nice. We had a local surgeon who was a port lover. He had a house that had a tunnel to the river from the underground railroad days. When he died there were dozens of cases down there and a few dozen bottles of sauternes.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply