Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

All Around Wheel - Road Bike
Quote | Reply
Looking for some suggestions on a good all around wheel set to upgrade from my stock wheels that came on my Trek. I don't "race," so I'm not looking to have a training wheel set and a race wheel set. What I'd like is something for $1,000 or less that is durable enough to handle training rides and "races." I don't want to have to switch between wheel sets.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: All Around Wheel - Road Bike [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am riding zipp 30 course wheels at the moment and am pretty fond of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED Jet 6+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FLO 30 is tough to beat for the price. Readily in stock on FLO website or you can find them used on the classifieds or eBay. I put a good amount of miles on my pair and highly recommend as a bomb-proof do-all.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest the new AlForce/November 33mm deep alloy wheels... either that or a set of Flo 30s. HED Jet 4 or Jet 5 Express are good options too if you can pick them up used or on sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto the Flo 30 recommendation. Those are high value and pretty durable.

If you wanted to go a little heavier and durable, look for some of the mainstream Shimano, Vuelta, Mavic, etc. that have higher spoke count.
Quote Reply
Re: All Around Wheel - Road Bike [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the HED Jet 6+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Zipp Firecrest 404's. You can get a decent used set for $1,000-1,500. I use mine for training and racing, haven't had any issues with them yet. They are fast and sexy as hell too!

Or if you want to go more budget friendly I like the Flo 30's as well. Cheap, aero, good wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My next all around wheelset will likely be the Dura Ace 9000 C50. Seems like a great buy for the money.

https://cyclingtips.com/...bon-clincher-review/
Quote Reply
Re: All Around Wheel - Road Bike [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend the Flo 30 wheels as well. Cheap, strong aluminium, durable and impressively aero. I'm very happy with my set, and I'm happy with them for races as well - happy enough to race with them in their second full IM distance race this year.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano Dura Ace C24 - best all-around wheel I've found and I got a set from wiggle for about $700 including shipping to the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my road bike I have a custom wheelset built up. HED C2 rims with DT240S hubs in a 32/32 spoke count. Rock solid (hit a nasty water cap divot once that was enough to move my handlebars but the wheels had no issues, still true, no bends).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Flo 30. Bomb proof, relatively light, good hubs, wide profile, and I was able to put a PT G3 hub in with no spoke change needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go for a custom built set every day of the week and twice on Sunday! For well under $1000 you can have a light, stiff set of wheels built by your local shop or one of the online builders (Wheelbuilder.com, etc) that will be every bit up to snuff in the performance department, but unlike many factory built big-brand wheels will not be based on proprietary spokes, hubs, etc. For the record, I've used Zipps, Mavic Ksyriums, etc. and they've all been great wheels. But I'm currently riding a set of custom built wheels with DT Swiss components (240s hubs, RR440 rims and Revolution spokes) that are every bit as nice, and I like that I can easily maintain the hubs and readily find a replacement spoke or replace a rim if I need to. Just something to consider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd vote for HED Jet 4+. Was on Jet 6+ and now on Ardennes Blacks.

I think the Jet 4+ would be a great wheel to have fr every day on a road bike.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This 2015 article is still valid in my opinion. https://intheknowcycling.com/...ad-bike-wheels-2015/
Quote Reply
Re: All Around Wheel - Road Bike [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, there's some great stuff in this thread!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the Wiggle Cosine's. Very good and you will have some change in your pocket.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/...ncher-road-wheelset/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20% off HED wheelsets from here: https://www.mybikeshop.com/collections/wheels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have enjoyed my vision Metron 40
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: All Around Wheel - Road Bike [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
I'd vote for HED Jet 4+. Was on Jet 6+ and now on Ardennes Blacks.

I think the Jet 4+ would be a great wheel to have fr every day on a road bike.

+3 or +4 on the HED Jet 6+ or 4+. I plan on picking up a set of 6+ but I'll use them for training and racing.
Quote Reply